Acoustic research AR1 pair with different version woofers

script56

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto to what genek said - - - you have a really primo pair of very early AR speakers in a rare finish and in great shape, and they deserve all the care and attention you can provide. Also, regarding the sheen of finish, I would second the notion that a high gloss is not the preferred option - - - semi-gloss or satin would be better - - - you want to feel like you are looking at real wood rather than a coating on wood.

The Mohawk Pour 'n Wipe is Tom Tyson's recommendation. I've never used it but I trust his recommendation (after all, he does have one of his speakers displayed in the Smithsonian!).

I agree with ra "you want to feel like you are looking at real wood rather than a coating on wood", so satin would be the way to go. You don't want high gloss unless you plan to buff it with pumice or rotten stone to get a low luster.

As far as having a pro do the work, that's a good way to go but I have become a real fan of Minwax aerosol lacquer. It is very easy to apply and dries very fast. And it's very unlikely you can harm the speakers with this clear coating. Worst case scenario you strip it off with lacquer thinner.

The OP said he has sprayed a motorcycle gas tank. So I assume he has the spraying technique and he has some cardboard masks to protect the drivers. IMHO it's much more difficult to get a good automotive type paint job on a gas tank than to spray some clear lacquer on a wooden box.

YMMV.

Kent

Agree with Kent.

I've also used the Minwax Satin aerosol, with very good results - it's virtually foolproof, and gives a smooth finish that doesn't overly highlight the grain.

Use 0000 steel wool, or even paper towels with a rough texture for the smoothest result.

A satin finish on that blonde wood should look really nice!

IMHO (others may disagree) the shellac presents problems. It has to be brushed on with a good quality brush and there is potential for runs, dust and brush marks, not to mention some eventual yellowing.

I have not used shellac to seal wood, nor have I used the Minwax aerosol sealer but I may try the sealer in the future.

However, Minwax says it is not needed, that the aerosol lacquer is self-sealing. Why make it more complicated?

I cannot speak from experience regarding the Rust0leum lacquer, only Minwax.

AR-Pro said it best:

I've also used the Minwax Satin aerosol, with very good results - it's virtually foolproof, and gives a smooth finish that doesn't overly highlight the grain.

Use 0000 steel wool, or even paper towels with a rough texture for the smoothest result.

A satin finish on that blonde wood should look really nice!

Attached are photos of a KLH Model Eight radio speaker I'm restoring. It is solid walnut so it could be sanded more aggressively than veneer but I started with #80 paper in the random orbit sander, then 120, 150, 220, 340, and finally 600. Sprayed about 4 or 5 coats of lacquer outdoors over about a 2 hour period with no sanding or buffing in between. The radios get a gloss finish but I agree satin would be better for your speakers.

Kent

post-101828-0-66393100-1382632353_thumb.

post-101828-0-33518400-1382632364_thumb.

You should spray the shellac or sanding sealer as well as the lacquer. Be sure your finishes are all compatible with one another. With all the synthetic formulas on the market today, it's more complicated than it used to be.

The Mohawk pouring finish is urethane based. I have a default prejudice against urethane finishes, especially on anything that qualifies as a near-museum piece (although refinishing usually disqualifies something from being a museum piece anyway), but formulas get improved all the time and I haven't ever used thst one.

Looks normal for aerosol can to me. You'll need to get some very fine abrasive pads and rub it down between coats. I like the grey Scotch-Brite finishing pads (not to be confused with the kitchen pot cleaning pads). You'll need to move in closer for the final coat or two if you want a gloss, or for a satin finish use the pads again followed by a buffing with paste wax.

Flat grain blonde wood (with or without flash) can sometimes be difficult to photograph, but from the images of your latest pics, it appears that your efforts with the new finish are most satisfactory. Show us a few more when they are all finished - - - great job!

Flat grain blonde wood (with or without flash) can sometimes be difficult to photograph, but from the images of your latest pics, it appears that your efforts with the new finish are most satisfactory. Show us a few more when they are all finished - - - great job!

What he said!

Kent

Archived