Fourth of July Steal of the Century

frankmarsi

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ROAD TRIP!!

You could ask your wife if she would like to go for drive. HE HE

Not a good idea unless you have a very large vehicle.One speaker can lie on the back seat, the other on the passenger seat if you have individually adjustable bucket seats you can tilt way back. If you have bench seats in a sedan you're out of luck. I think they won't fit in a trunk of most or any cars. A full sized station wagon (do those things even still exist?) would be perfect. So would a small van. If you have an SUV, better remove the rear seats, you'll need the room. This is when removing the woofers makes life much easier. I know from personal experience :)

Not a good idea unless you have a very large vehicle.One speaker can lie on the back seat, the other on the passenger seat if you have individually adjustable bucket seats you can tilt way back. If you have bench seats in a sedan you're out of luck. I think they won't fit in a trunk of most or any cars. A full sized station wagon (do those things even still exist?) would be perfect. So would a small van. If you have an SUV, better remove the rear seats, you'll need the room. This is when removing the woofers makes life much easier. I know from personal experience :)

I have a vehicle that will hold the speakers. The rear seats fold forward and I have about 6' of space and enough width to fit them in easily. I live alone since my wife passed 16yrs ago and I have nerve damage in my legs that would make driving that distance difficult. I'm not sure the seller is motivated enough to help me arrange shipping.

The only AR speakers I've owned in the past are AR7s and AR2ax. I loved the 2ax speakers for classical music especially but they were very good on other types of music. The best system I've had in my home are my B&W 801s with an Adcom 5800 and a Pioneer Elite PD 59 cd player. My B&W 803 Matrix speakers sound very good in the same system. I want the AR9s but the auction is about to end and I haven't been able to contact the seller in the last two days. There has been so much said about how wonderful these speakers I feel as if I'll look like an idiot if I don't buy them. I can easily afford them and I'll probably feel like an idiot myself if I don't get them B) I'll up my offer and see if he'll contact me.

I appreciate all the input. Don

Well, Don, it sounds like you're a good candidate for the AR-9.

Your B&W 801 is another outstanding, full-range system that is clearly about the same type of effortless, top-to-bottom reproduction as the AR-9 - you won't be frightened by realistic low-frequency response, like the owner of a $5000 mini-monitor with a 4" woofer might be. :P

The Adcom 5800 is a great-sounding and reliable amplifier that would be a fine match for the AR-9. I've heard the speaker bi-amped with a pair of the older Adcom 5500II amplifiers, and it was superb.

The AR-2ax is an excellent reference point as well, as the 9 is an evolutionary design that still incoprorates much of what you've enjoyed from the smaller AR speakers.

We've restored over a dozen pairs of AR-9 and AR-90 systems, and I don't believe there's a better high-end bargain to be had. Rebuilding the speaker is very straightforward, and easy modifications can be made that could make it a bit better than the original - I'm partial to adding spiked feet, more robust binding posts, and omitting the Acoustic Blanket, which we've done on our last three rebuilds (see below).

Good luck, if you decide to go for the auction!

post-100370-0-48891700-1310246723_thumb.

I appreciate all the input.

One last little bit of input, then.

The only shipping damage I've had to this era speaker has happened twice -

If they are "jolted" on the top or bottom (dropped from a few inches or pounded in the very back of a large truck over a big bump), the upper midrange magnets like to shear off the drivers. They are big and heavy.

I'm not suggesting you would want any driver to be damaged, but the upper midranges and tweeters are probably the two drivers you least want to be damaged because they are hard to replace and for all practical purposes impossible to repair.

I've never had a tweeter come apart like that. Those are usually "poked" by not being held firmly away from the sides of a box.

Well, Don, it sounds like you're a good candidate for the AR-9.

Your B&W 801 is another outstanding, full-range system that is clearly about the same type of effortless, top-to-bottom reproduction as the AR-9 - you won't be frightened by realistic low-frequency response, like the owner of a $5000 mini-monitor with a 4" woofer might be. :P

The Adcom 5800 is a great-sounding and reliable amplifier that would be a fine match for the AR-9. I've heard the speaker bi-amped with a pair of the older Adcom 5500II amplifiers, and it was superb.

The AR-2ax is an excellent reference point as well, as the 9 is an evolutionary design that still incoprorates much of what you've enjoyed from the smaller AR speakers.

We've restored over a dozen pairs of AR-9 and AR-90 systems, and I don't believe there's a better high-end bargain to be had. Rebuilding the speaker is very straightforward, and easy modifications can be made that could make it a bit better than the original - I'm partial to adding spiked feet, more robust binding posts, and omitting the Acoustic Blanket, which we've done on our last three rebuilds (see below).

Good luck, if you decide to go for the auction!

I've increased my offer and told the seller shipping and packaging costs would not be a problem but I haven't heard back from him.

My 801s are absolutely the best sounding speaker I've had in my home..........in my opinion. They are seriously power hungry and as good as the 5800 is it runs out of power easily. At normal casual listening levels the 5800 is excellent but for some classical recordings I'd like to have just a little more power. I have 2 Adcom 555IIs and since they are bridgeable I would probably be able to drive the 801s easier using them.

I also have two 5800s and I might be able to hook those up in such a way as to gain a little. The only problem with these options is that I run out of breath and energy very quickly and my knees dictate the number of times I get down and up. :D :D

I have a feeling I'm not going to get these :( :(

One last little bit of input, then.

The only shipping damage I've had to this era speaker has happened twice -

If they are "jolted" on the top or bottom (dropped from a few inches or pounded in the very back of a large truck over a big bump), the upper midrange magnets like to shear off the drivers. They are big and heavy.

I'm not suggesting you would want any driver to be damaged, but the upper midranges and tweeters are probably the two drivers you least want to be damaged because they are hard to replace and for all practical purposes impossible to repair.

I've never had a tweeter come apart like that. Those are usually "poked" by not being held firmly away from the sides of a box.

I doubt that the seller would be willing to remove and pack the drivers separately. I'm somewhat familiar with the woofer/mids being damaged. The same thing happens to the 6 1/2" drivers on Polk speakers. I've had several shipped to me and thankfully none were damaged. I've since used JB Weld to secure the magnets.

Well the seller declined my offer :( . His back is very bad and it looks as if these are going to sell for under $200 unless someone jumps in the bidding.

Well it looks as if I'll get another shot at these!! High bidder lives in Italy ;) Seller wants to have them crated and have me pick them up at Yellow Freight. Any opinions on this method of shipping? the he77 have I got myself into........ I need another storage shed or a larger house :D I need to go back to collecting Smith $ Wesson Revolvers no x overs to fool with and no foam surrounds and they all fit in one safe.....they play a different kind of music but I'll admit the Dirty Harry model can be fatiguing ............I have one I could sell and pay for all these vintage toys and have $$left over. :) but I won't.

I hope you get them Don!

I'd look into ups or fed-ex freight. They might be geared towards the casual shipper and should have good tracking.

If the seller wants to work with yellowfreight that should be fine too. I'd make sure they are going to be boxed/crated up well.

Good Luck!

I was one of the bidders on the Beara CA speakers - not sure how I would have gotten them home(Seattle)

If you live near Boston - this might be worth looking into:

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/2493310687.html

You're about as far away as I am.

The guy that outbid you lives in Italy and the seller can't contact him. Imagine the cost of shipping these to Europe! The seller hasn't gotten back with me yet with the final cost. I hope they get here in the same condition as they are now. I've only been burned a couple of times but thats the chance we take when buying on the bay or CL.

I'm in West Texas far far from Boston :)

I got burned really badly on eBay about a year and a half ago. I won the bid for a pair of AR-3a's (about $250) that were advertised as in working order but cabinets needing a lot of repair ( I am a professional woodworker - not a problem). To start with, the seller gave the wrong address and UPS dropped them off on the porch of an abandoned house in our neighborhood! It took me a couple of days to locate them. As it turned out they needed all new caps new foam on the woofers (someone re-foamed them but they were rubbing) both tweeters were bad and one of the midranges was bad as well. Not what I would call working order. I contacted the seller and got almost all my money back except for the shipping cost. I did not give the seller a favorable rating I did not give a negative one either because he returned most of my money. I have a great set of AR-3as now - but not without a lot of frustration!

But like you say we take our chances on ebay or craigslist I have a few really good stories as well and thats what keeps me coming back.

Good Luck on getting the 9s delivered in good order. I think I was third in line - just behind you in the bidding. I bid $ 150 about an hour before the bidding ended. If I won I was going to call everyone I know in the LA area and ask if they could pick them up for me. I will be down there in October for a show with my furniture and could have put them in the truck for the ride home.

I told my wife someone will be posting about these on audiokarma or the classic speaker forums quite a steal!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just now looked at the schematic for these speakers anticipating having to recap the two. Did these speakers have electrolytic caps? Recapping with non electrolytic caps can get a little costly. I'm curious about the 470uf and 2500uf. Are these radial or axial caps and would they need to be replaced in a recap? I suppose I could use electrolytic caps and get another twenty years use............I would be 94yrs. old then and probably wouldn't want to have to recap these monsters again :D :D I could will them to Kent or Roy or Carl or Tom or ar :D My grandkids would probably sell them at the estate sale for $50. I have someone to help them price my woodworking tools but not the audio equip. WOW someone is going to get some bargain priced equipment!

Anyway..........comments on recapping or not recapping, electrolytic or poly? Remember guys, my can dos are going down hill every minute.

I'm off to play Spider Solitaire for a while.

But like you say we take our chances on ebay or craigslist – I have a few really good stories as well and that’s what keeps me coming back.

The whole point of Craigslist having different pages for different cities is that it's supposed to be local. You're less likely to be burned when you can go look at stuff before you buy it.

The whole point of Craigslist having different pages for different cities is that it's supposed to be local. You're less likely to be burned when you can go look at stuff before you buy it.

Yes,I have never had a Craigslist deal that was DOA, although I have had a few deals (upon closer inspection)that weren't quite as advertised. I have experinced DOA deals with EBAY though.

The AR9s have been crated and may be here in a few days. My B&W 801s are sitting along the only wall long enough for these so I'll have to move the 801s to another room....thankfully they're on casters.

I'm becoming a little apprehensive about this purchase......doubtful that they will get here undamaged and at the same time I'm looking forward to getting them set up.

Yesterday I tried to play a cd on my 801s but got no sound. Hope the 5800 is ok. It's the amp I planned to use with the ARs butI have a couple of Adcom 555IIs that I can use in its place if it's bad.

Don, you can send those 801s here no charge to "store" them here at my home, LOL!

I'll be very curious to hear your opinion of the 9s as compared to the 801s.

Lucky that you got those 9s should be very nice!

Don, you can send those 801s here no charge to "store" them here at my home, LOL!

I'll be very curious to hear your opinion of the 9s as compared to the 801s.

Lucky that you got those 9s should be very nice!

Pete I am considering leaving several of my vintage to people who have an appreciation for their real value. I I do I will probably leave some to people on this forum and one member of another forum. My two grandkids will inherit everything and the few $$ these items bring at an estate sale won't mean much to them. Sadly :) :) I will explain the worth of the B&Ws and the AR9s and maybe a Polk or two and they can decide what to do with them.

Last night as I was watching TV I realized the wall where the TV is would accommodate the 9s but I think the room itself may be too small.

I really like the 801s and I can listen to them all day and never get the urge to turn them down or off.

I'll let everybody know and I'll post photos here or e-mail them to anyone who wants to see them.

Gosh, Don I was absolutely kidding, and it is sad to hear

that you are thinking about your will, but at the same time

so very generous.

I wish you many, many more years of enjoyable life and

listening!

Gosh, Don I was absolutely kidding, and it is sad to hear

that you are thinking about your will, but at the same time

so very generous.

I wish you many, many more years of enjoyable life and

listening!

I know you weren't serious. My wife passed 16yrs ago without a will and the process to get through the legal requirements was very difficult. I hope I live long enough to get the AR9s set up :D :D .

They're on the Yellow Freight truck now. I may have mentioned that I play e-bay roulette once in a while and usually get out bid but a few nights ago I made an offer on a pair of AR11s and I never thought he would accept it but he did. So tomorrow I'll be the proud/sad ;) owner of these speakers.

I am serious about willing most of my vintage audio equipment to a few people who I know will appreciate the value of these bits of history.

I know you weren't serious. My wife passed 16yrs ago without a will and the process to get through the legal requirements was very difficult. I hope I live long enough to get the AR9s set up :D :D .

They're on the Yellow Freight truck now. I may have mentioned that I play e-bay roulette once in a while and usually get out bid but a few nights ago I made an offer on a pair of AR11s and I never thought he would accept it but he did. So tomorrow I'll be the proud/sad ;) owner of these speakers.

I am serious about willing most of my vintage audio equipment to a few people who I know will appreciate the value of these bits of history.

Hi Don

On the subject of willing your particular pieces to your choice of appreciaters.

Very generous of you indeed.

Do give them while you can appreciate the new owners enjoying them.

Willing, in my experience, allows the families to fight over the estate, after the fact.

Your present wishes may not be complied with.

I know you will will be here for a long time, hifi gives us all good vibes.

Good health to you and yours, Don.

Hi Don

On the subject of willing your particular pieces to your choice of appreciaters.

Very generous of you indeed.

Do give them while you can appreciate the new owners enjoying them.

Willing, in my experience, allows the families to fight over the estate, after the fact.

Your present wishes may not be complied with.

I know you will will be here for a long time, hifi gives us all good vibes.

Good health to you and yours, Don.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I have several Pioneer receivers and integrated amps that I would give away but the lucky receiver would have to pay shipping and handling. I'm not sure how that could be arranged but I can look into it. They all work but they may require new caps. After I get the AR9s set up and have a chance to listen to them a while I'll let a few people decide what they want and make arrangements. I'm really looking forward to the 9s from all the comments I've read on the web. The 11s will be here sometime today. They're similar to the 3As but they aren't as sought after..

The 11s will be here sometime today. They're similar to the 3As but they aren't as sought after..

I will be curious as to what you think of the 11's - I have a pair of 10pi's which are nearly indetical in sound to the 11's (from what I understand). Although I really love my 3a's (and restoring them was a saga in itself) the 10pi's sound oh-so much better (to my ears anyway). I see 3a's go for big bucks on ebay all the time - 11's come up much less often and never seem to go for the same high prices. You would think they would go for more -especially since there was not as many of them made.

I would hang on to those 10pi's.

I owned a pair when they were new and am still kicking myself for letting them go.

Just recently went from a pair of ADS 810's to a pair of AR 9's and am happy now.

The search is over .

Archived