Fourth of July Steal of the Century

frankmarsi

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7-3-11 5:48 P.M. EST

Dear fellow AR lovers! Here's the 'steal of the century', if you live in Brea,California and have a truck or can rent one.

If I were there, they'd be mine right now!

FM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acoustic-Research-AR-9-Speakers-/320723076597?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4aac95c5f5

Sometimes sellers will ship if tell them you're interested and you ask them if they will ship. Offer them $$ over their BIN. I've done this a few times. If I had room for them I'd sure make an offer he couldn't turn down.

You've got that right.

Looks like all original drivers, so restoration would be a piece of cake.

The parts alone are worth close to $1K.

Anyone know the size and weight of these speakers?

I'm going to make him an offer.

I offered $350 if he would ship but the shipping estimate was $375. The woofers would have to be refoamed and the total cost may be more than I want to put into them?

Just guessing that you've never heard the AR-9.

[/quote

Good guess.

Just guessing that you have and you think they're worth the $$$ :) ]

So fill me in a little........they're still available unless you just bought them.

Convince me .....or not. B)

I'm about to take the leap................somebody chime in here! :blink::unsure:

There've been many discussions of the AR-9 on this forum, so the search function should give you lots of background on the speaker.

Determining AR's best system usually comes down to a matter of taste between the AR-LST and the AR-9 - I can't imagine how you could go wrong with either.

If you're thinking of restoring these eBay speakers, you're way ahead of the game if all of the drivers are working properly - buying authentic vintage drivers is pricey - lower mids can sell for $150-$200/pair before refoaming, and the upper mids & tweeters frequently bring $75-$100/each.

I'm amazed that the seller hasn't decided to part these speakers out - he'd make a lot more money, and shipping would be much easier, as well.

There've been many discussions of the AR-9 on this forum, so the search function should give you lots of background on the speaker.

Determining AR's best system usually comes down to a matter of taste between the AR-LST and the AR-9 - I can't imagine how you could go wrong with either.

If you're thinking of restoring these eBay speakers, you're way ahead of the game if all of the drivers are working properly - buying authentic vintage drivers is pricey - lower mids can sell for $150-$200/pair before refoaming, and the upper mids & tweeters frequently bring $75-$100/each.

I'm amazed that the seller hasn't decided to part these speakers out - he'd make a lot more money, and shipping would be much easier, as well.

I've tried the search function for threads/posts on the AR9 maybe I'm doing something wrong but I get very little specific to the AR9.

If you google AR-9 there's quite a lot of discussion about them on audiokarma and the other forums. I hope you get them Don!

AR-9's are my holy grail speaker. I've never heard or even seen a pair but from what I've read they are really amazing. If they were closer, If I had room, cash and an understanding wife, I'd be interested in them.

SOME DAY!

Which will produce better bass, AR9 at $1,800 list price or Steinway D at $158,000 (for the system)?

http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/products/model-d-speaker

It looks like it's at least in part an open box system, maybe just the two top woofers. Carefully looking at all of the photos suggests that the bottom two woofers have an enclosure, probaby a ported design with a side firing port. If true, so much for the ad hype about how there's no air compression. That's where the real bass comes from. See anything besides a WWMTMWW design with a Heil air motion transformer tweeter and a lot of nice looking overbuilt expensive gingerbread?

If you google AR-9 there's quite a lot of discussion about them on audiokarma and the other forums. I hope you get them Don!

AR-9's are my holy grail speaker. I've never heard or even seen a pair but from what I've read they are really amazing. If they were closer, If I had room, cash and an understanding wife, I'd be interested in them.

SOME DAY!

Looking for the best way to get them packed and shipped. He has a bad back and can't handle packaging them right now. UPS shipping is not bad.......I'll call them tomorrow to see if they can package them.

Which will produce better bass, AR9 at $1,800 list price or Steinway D at $158,000 (for the system)?

http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/products/model-d-speaker

It looks like it's at least in part an open box system, maybe just the two top woofers. Carefully looking at all of the photos suggests that the bottom two woofers have an enclosure, probaby a ported design with a side firing port. If true, so much for the ad hype about how there's no air compression. That's where the real bass comes from. See anything besides a WWMTMWW design with a Heil air motion transformer tweeter and a lot of nice looking overbuilt expensive gingerbread?

7-7-11

Good gosh, I was only attempting to pass along a good deal here. If I were in close proximity, I'd would have snatched these up in a heartbeat! No sense in explaining and getting too 'wordy' as I'm about to do.

Question was raised regarding the AR-9 vs. the AR-LST. Well, I'm not qualified to respond cause I've never heard the AR-9’s either, but judging from what my stacked AR-LST's have taught me, (think Levinson's GrandMaster’s equivalent, he described it the same way, see his site(talking 'Amatis' here, the LST's smarter,younger, but not necessarily smarter brother). I'd have to guess the AR-9's would possibly produce more/bigger bass because of their double woofer’s close proximity to the floor, however, I'm certain AR engineered floor location 'boomy-ness' out of the equation and enabled quality bass regardless. This thing about some of you 'newbie's not knowing anything about AR-9’s and LST’s and struggling with info-retrieval is almost making me mad and full of pity for the future! Or as Kurt Douglas used to say; "You're making me sick", "You're Making Me Sick", or as Burt Lancaster used to say: "Shut your face, Shut your face",, "Now Let's Move On!"

“SoundmInded”, as always, thanks for your assistance and wisdom, you always sound like a very bright youngish man, or an experienced and well-balanced middle-aged man +, thanks for being involved!

How you tolerate some of the ‘newbies’ and ‘no-see-ems’ makes me hold great respect for you, as you have put me in my place (respectfully so, thank you) once or more so times before too, thanks. We all need some helpful advice as this site is growing into the newer generation of 'vintage'AR listeners and we may be all dealing with a soon to be limited supply of options for listening pleasure and restoration fun. Also, all of you new on this road of vintage AR speaker bliss; know your AR history or you will be condemned to spend weekends at Best-Buy and Rat-Shack walking aimlessly and being happy with RC toys/cell phone options/ I don't know why-fi and 5 inch woofers and perhaps never realizing the ‘Gold’ you have in your hands with proper AR speaker set-up and listening, not to mention proper ‘program-material’ choices and proper ‘front-ends’ and higher powered amps? High powered amps are almost a necessity in this modern day as along with AR's have always necessitated proper higher powered to maximize the AR listening experience and glorious effect to end most arguments of recorded musical pleasure as I recall, as AR speakers have always done when set-up correctly.

There are many others on this site, much better in tune and with tons more knowledge and experience than I have, but if you read half of this site’s back-pages, you’ll be so much better off than simply asking for a ‘foot-hold’ and not getting the picture regardless. In a way of speakers, vintage and modern fidelity are almost at war these days, and perhaps you haven’t been thru ‘boot-camp’ yet? Things have really gotten out of hand lately, what-with vinyl and old tables, new tables, CD/SACD, and freak’ in up-loads, and shit. Damn, the last 3 yrs., I’ve only been ‘into’ ‘vinyl’, not that I ever left it since my childhood. I use vintage ‘middle-class’ tables and new mid-priced/better cartridges and I have a level of enjoyment that I won’t go into here. Catch my saliva/dribbles on AK and related vinyl sites.

My life long and learned lesson is; listen to your ‘elders’! The ‘PAST’ is there for a reason, thank you!

Back to business. As an LST owner for many yrs. and completely enamored and married to my AR-LST’s, for life, thank you “God”! I truly wish I had the space and need for them, (they may take less space than 4 stacked LST’s though), to me they’re probably the “giant-killer” of all time, even if I’ve never heard them in person but, judging what four LST’s can do and sound like and prior to that my life long friends, the 3a’s, I don’t have to really wonder about them as I trust they will always be AR’s final ‘statement’ alongside LST’s! Pardon the implication, as they’re almost a religious item in the way of thinking in terms of the AR kingdom. I myself have a number of times had a chance to buy another guy’s pair from Long Island, NYC, for a mere $900. As no one was even offering him any respect with a bid for what he was selling them for. He went for almost a year on the bay, the g-list, audiogon, etc. and still could not practically give them away. My understanding is; the obvious, shipping weight and crating of course is the major problem. If I had taken an ancient step backwards to fifties mentality, meaning if I owned a pick-up truck or SUV, I would’ve headed straight out there as it was only an hour away from me. However, I still believe in driving a standard car and not the ‘farmer’s-delight’ of owning a pick-up truck as so many needlessly drive today.

These days, I, with a ‘stoned’ (learned with a ‘60s and early ‘70s mentality often ponder stacking three sets of AR-LST’s (which is my I own form of needlessness American greed), vertically as I have stands that can support their weight, and enough amps to handle the power distribution safely and can do easily. Although I don’t nor feature buying more amps though, so I won’t as I content with what I own already.

Now, let us be men, and any man out there on the west coast, I implore you, ‘TAKE the SHOT’ and buy these! Now! Or forever live in your own self-pity, as I often do.

O.K. let’s shift gears here, I’m boring myself even.

”Stage left, ‘even’!”

FM

P.S.1 No disrespect was intended by my remarks, assumptions and implications, or idiotic comments, thank you for your understanding.

P.S.2, I myself have bought more AR drivers and speakers cabinets than I will ever listen to or use, but I suffer from the old “Dr. Strangelove” and WW2 ideology ( but, that’s was always the same through out man’s history,greed), I want to own and rule the world of vintage AR speakers. Oddly, I’ve become my own personal joke, looking at myself. Again, thank you for understanding, to any degree my ‘AR’ unstable-ness. You’re a nice person.

P.S. 3, If AR extra drivers and cabinets were like a buz? I having; 18 spare 12” woofers, 20+spare 3a mids, over 46 replacement 3a tweeters, (ABT,HiVi’s), 6 –3a’s, 6- LST’s, 4- 2ax’s, 2-4x’s, 2-EPI-100’s, 2 Advent utilities, and a number of ‘no-name’ others, I would have been arrested and maybe even appeared on the those wonderfully intelligent, (sarcasm here) and absurd cable programs as a ‘vintage-speaker-hoarder’. American pickers/pawn shop. could probably do me well, with bennies too?

P.S. 4, However, in my ever wandering mentally challenged way of thinking, I simply wallow in my madness, ever content and proud of my ridiculous self, it’s very peaceful at times. I will assume however, that there might still be some or a number of peeps out there that may be in need of more help than myself. Dear I say, you know who you are.

FM

How’s Vern, Johnnie O., Bret, Minh, Soundminded, Peter B., Steve F., and all of the host of other's who have helped me and have been friendly and tolerant readers of my verbose, absurd but somewhat amusing diatribe? I’m sane, I’ve always been sane. Please already, let me go put "Dark-Side' on, original and VPI 16.5 cleaned LP. Still sounding good after my wonderful Shure Type III played it countless times back from July 1973 on to the present and still sounding great.

FM

7-7-11

Good gosh, I was only attempting to pass along a good deal here. If I were in close proximity, I'd would have snatched these up in a heartbeat! No sense in explaining and getting too 'wordy' as I'm about to do.

P.S. 3, If AR extra drivers and cabinets were like a buz? I having; 18 spare 12” woofers, 20+spare 3a mids, over 46 replacement 3a tweeters, (ABT,HiVi’s), 6 –3a’s, 6- LST’s, 4- 2ax’s, 2-4x’s, 2-EPI-100’s, 2 Advent utilities, and a number of ‘no-name’ others, I would have been arrested and maybe even appeared on the those wonderfully intelligent, (sarcasm here) and absurd cable programs as a ‘vintage-speaker-hoarder’. American pickers/pawn shop. could probably do me well, with bennies too?

How’s Vern, Johnnie O., Bret, Minh, Soundmined, Peter B., Steve F., and all other's who have helped me and have been friendly and tolerant readers of my verbose, absurd but somewhat amusing diatribe? I’m sane, I’ve always been sane. Please already, let me go put "Dark-Side' on, original and VPI 16.5 cleaned LP. Still sounding good after my wonderful Shure Type III played it countless times back from July 1973 on to the present and still sounding great.

FM

Hi Frank

Always enjoy your write-ups.

You have a long ways to go to catchup to Soundminded's 500+ stock of tweeters.

Only 3 pair of LST's and 3A's how sad. LOL

I assume that you are still using Microstatic Tweeters.

Hi Frank

Always enjoy your write-ups.

You have a long ways to go to catchup to Soundminded's 500+ stock of tweeters.

Only 3 pair of LST's and 3A's how sad. LOL

I assume that you are still using Microstatic Tweeters.

Hey Dan, how've you been? Well, I trust.

Yeah, every once in a while I let out with a burst of AR speaker flatulence, as I'm still in love with my speakers.

You saying "soundminded" has such a large number of speakers kinda comforts me in a sense that I may not be as extreme a nut-job as I think I am?

Micro-Statics? They're the cure until I have the time to complete my restorations,"Roy C.", "Shut your face", Shut your face", Burt Lancaster said that I didn't. But until then, considering the insane volumes I listen to 'Micro-Statics'are a God send. Praise all that is holy! "Burt" in "Elma Gantry", a magnificent movie.

Thanks for appreciating my 'long-winded', mindless dribble as I'm certain it may irritate some other members? But not as much as I irritate my neighbors when I go all out with my sudden out bursts, even if I usually don't go continuously for more than a half and hour or so, until I calm down for fear of a knock on the door and seeing badges, cause you know I don't need no stinking badges! When I'm cruising at running speed, levels are generally around 85 to 105dbs., as LST's often don't sound that loud, instead they sound very 'big'. So when I walk around the house inside, I check the windows of my old house and most windows do vibrate depending on the program material and volume levels. Joy to the world, but apparently only my world, cause I do get carried away most times. That is one good aspect of no longer being married, cause if I were, that would be grounds for another divorce, I'm certain.

Be well, and thanks for your continued support of my insanity.

FM

7-7-11

shipping weight and crating of course is the major problem.

Frank if I were in close proximity I too would have these speakers in my house now. Crating and shipping is a problem since the seller has injured his back and can't move the speakers around.

As a newbie I'm grateful that so many here are very tolerant of all newbies and answer our sometimes dumb questions with more patience than we would receive on other forums. :D :D

I'm not sure of what all you said but you said it well and with a flourish not often heard on an internet forum. :) :)

Thank you for your commentary.

Your best bet for shipping something like this is a mover. Most moving companies can quote you a price for picking up and blanket wrapping objects like this, and will fit them into extra space on already-scheduled moves at a fairly reasonable rate ($500-$600). You'll need to be flexible on time because you're dependent on someone else happening to move from Southern CA to wherever you live. Or you could call a crater, who will pick up and crate, then freight ship to you for around $700 and get it on your schedule.

Your best bet for shipping something like this is a mover. Most moving companies can quote you a price for picking up and blanket wrapping objects like this, and will fit them into extra space on already-scheduled moves at a fairly reasonable rate ($500-$600). You'll need to be flexible on time because you're dependent on someone else happening to move from Southern CA to wherever you live. Or you could call a crater, who will pick up and crate, then freight ship to you for around $700 and get it on your schedule.

Thanks for the suggestions.

That is probably the best option for getting them here. But by the time I got them set up to play I would have $1300+ in the speakers. Since I've never heard the AR9s I may be underestimating their value. UPS will ship them for around $300 according to their web site estimator and they'll package and ship for a little over $600.

We'll see.

IMO unless you have the original packing or are prepared to spend a lot of money on building crates for them for one time use, the best way to ship these speakers is to remove all four woofers and pack them separately. This will considerably reduce the weight of the cabinets and the risk of damaging the cones. They have to be removed anyway for restoration.

IMO unless you have the original packing or are prepared to spend a lot of money on building crates for them for one time use, the best way to ship these speakers is to remove all four woofers and pack them separately. This will considerably reduce the weight of the cabinets and the risk of damaging the cones. They have to be removed anyway for restoration.

I'd go for the crating, which is actually wood framing with heavy cardboard faces rather than wood. if I was there to pack myself I might disassemble and pack components, but I'd be nervous about someone I don't know doing it. If something isn't worth that $700 crating and freight charge, you probably shouldn't be buying it long distance anyway.

Yes, the element of "worth" comes into play, here.

There's not a new speaker on the planet that could come close to the AR-9 for $1300 - the 9 is an *absurdly* good, full-range system that is a throwback to an era when reproducing the entire audio spectrum was a primary concern.

That said, having never heard an AR-9, you're in a tight spot. The suggestion to ship the woofers separately is a good one, as is profesionally crating the speakers (in lieu of somehow obtaining the original cartons), but that's a lot of money to spend for transport. And rest assured that you will have additional expenses, even if nothing goes wrong with shipping.

Millersound is the best in the business at re-foaming the AR woofer, and Bill has done precision work on all of the lower-mids that I've given him - expect to spend around $250 for the restoration of all six drivers.

Also look to spend money on the crossovers, cabinet restoration, and grille-cloth replacement, among other things.

It adds up, for sure - a properly-restored AR-9 puts you in a different league, but it has to be done correctly.

Two quick questions - what is it that you like about Acoustic Research speakers, and what is the very best AR system that you've heard?

Yes, the element of "worth" comes into play, here.

There's not a new speaker on the planet that could come close to the AR-9 for $1300 - the 9 is an *absurdly* good, full-range system that is a throwback to an era when reproducing the entire audio spectrum was a primary concern.

That said, having never heard an AR-9, you're in a tight spot. The suggestion to ship the woofers separately is a good one, as is profesionally crating the speakers (in lieu of somehow obtaining the original cartons), but that's a lot of money to spend for transport. And rest assured that you will have additional expenses, even if nothing goes wrong with shipping.

Millersound is the best in the business at re-foaming the AR woofer, and Bill has done precision work on all of the lower-mids that I've given him - expect to spend around $250 for the restoration of all six drivers.

Also look to spend money on the crossovers, cabinet restoration, and grille-cloth replacement, among other things.

It adds up, for sure - a properly-restored AR-9 puts you in a different league, but it has to be done correctly.

Two quick questions - what is it that you like about Acoustic Research speakers, and what is the very best AR system that you've heard?

I found that a standard large 12 bottle wine shipping carton you can get for free from any liquor store will hold two woofers facing each other diagonally. A collapsed cardboard bottle separator can be placed between them. This can be packed in a larger outer box with lots of styrofoam peanuts or bubble wrap between them.

I had my 4 woofers and 2 LMRs refoamed by Bill at Millersound and he did an outstanding job. Very pleasant and knowledgeable person to work with too. BTW if you visit him personally, bring him some bagels from a good bagel shop if you have one near you. The ones in his area are not good and he does enjoy the good one's. He'll appreciate your business that much more.

Archived