AR-9Lsi Project

A pair of English-made AR-9Lsi’s came my way today. The previous owner had a terrible refoam job done on the midrange and 12” woofers (but forgot the 10” woofers). They also used a brittle glue so the foam is separating easily from the cone. 

Before I refoam these, does anyone know if this midrange cone is correct? There is a seam split on the cone which I’ve never seen on an AR. The owner said they had been reconed but I think he meant refoamed. 

edit to add: The driver appears to be correct but is the cone correct? Tonegen part no. 1-2100450B

IMG_5133.jpeg

The answer is no split cone.  Check AR55s link from the library forum.  The 8inchers for the AR9, ls,lsi were specifically configured to be LMRs.  Read note 4 in the pdf on 8 inch drivers for that series. 

I see the AR part no for the Lsi LMR is 200045. Would that be related to this driver, the 1-2100450B? I ask because all of the woofers in my pair are Tonegen-made and have the longer, alternate part no. Could the English factory have been using Tonegen drivers instead of regular AR parts?

7 hours ago, meta_noia_fot said:

Before I refoam these, does anyone know if this midrange cone is correct?

Yes, the cone is correct!

You can see other identical pictures of the Tonegen AR9LSI lower midrange on this thread (last images): 

https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/10666-8-lmr-for-ar-9-and-ar-90-200027-availabilitysubstitutes/?do=findComment&comment=128245

4 hours ago, fedeleluigi said:

Yes, the cone is correct!

You can see other identical pictures of the Tonegen AR9LSI lower midrange on this thread (last images): 

https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/10666-8-lmr-for-ar-9-and-ar-90-200027-availabilitysubstitutes/?do=findComment&comment=128245

Result, and within 7 hours the OP has the answer ! To top it all it's one he wants to hear.

Hats off to fedeleluigi !

Although AR changed the cone spec for the 8" LMR between the AR9 (200027) and the AR9LS (200045), the 200045 cone still was specified with no split.

I have had a number of AR98LS's in my possession over the years and all of them came with the American made AR 200045 LMR.  None of those cones had the split.

I presently own a pair of English made 98LSi's and a pair of American made 9LSi's.  Both of them came with the Tongen made 2100450B LMR and all of them have the split cone.

AR outsourced the manufacture of all their drivers to Tongen starting with the second generation of the Post Classic Series, which included the 9LSi & 98LSi.  Interestingly, I haven't found an instance where Tongen ever used a split cone with any other driver, but the 2100450B, 8" midrange.

On 4/21/2024 at 1:41 AM, meta_noia_fot said:

There is a seam split on the cone which I’ve never seen on an AR.

For a couple of years I had a pair of English made AR98LS but with the original drivers made in USA, and they had that split on LMR drivers.

You got my curiosity up, so I rechecked the 8" LMR in the three 98LS' that I've owned.  My daughter has my original 98LS's that I purchased in January of 1983 and their 8" LMR's do not have a split seam.  The same is true of a pair that I restored and sold to a friend.  The 3rd pair, however, have US made 8" 200045 LMR's and their cones have a split seem.  

I also checked my AR-28B's.  Their 8" woofers (model 200050), have a split seam.  

So, it appears that at some point during the initial production run of the Post Classic Series, AR modified the spec for the 8" midrange and woofer cones to have a split seams.