Rare find - AR Speaker Stands

JeffS

I was looking through the local estate sale ads this week and found a couple of pictures of what looked like AR speaker stands, with one of them supporting a 27” CRT TV. I decided to check it out, and sure enough, I found what I believe are a pair of AR speaker stands with oiled walnut veneered shelves. I can’t believe my luck, these things are very rare.

I checked the dimensions to verify and they are the same as AR advertised in the AR High Fidelity Components catalog from ~ 1968. They measure 30 ½” wide, 15 ½” deep, 29” high (the earlier version, shown in the various AR-3 brochures had a depth of 15 3/8”). The only measurement that is different from those advertised is the height of the bottom shelf which is 13” instead of the stated 14”. As with the smaller speaker bases, there is nothing that indicates that these were made by AR.

They are well built. The legs are one continuous piece (½” square stock, 28” long) with one fixed (welded) flange to support the bottom shelf, and one removable flange for the top shelf.  There is a protective plastic cap on the bottom. To assemble the shelf, a leg is passed through one of the square holes on the bottom panel. Then the removable flange is screwed to the top of the leg, and both flanges are then fastened with four screws into pre-drilled holes on the bottom of each panel. Interestingly, two of the top flanges on each shelf are partial units with one side missing.

I searched around at the sale in the hope of spotting the pair of AR’s that these shelves might have supported, but no luck. However, there was a period H.H. Scott 388-B receiver in excellent cosmetic shape.

This pair is in good overall shape, and they look like they supported not only speakers and televisions over the years, but plants as well. The legs could use some new gloss black paint. The panels have some light rings, and one has some damage on one of the long edges, but sanding and some linseed oil should fix all of that. 

I've included a few pictures. I couldn't decide what looked better, an AR-2 or a 3a, on the shelf, so I posted both.

AR stands for AR High Fidelity Components catalog (~1968).jpg

stands pair.jpg

stand legs.jpg

stand 2a.jpg

stand 3a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 4:50 PM, JeffS said:

I was looking through the local estate sale ads this week and found a couple of pictures of what looked like AR speaker stands, with one of them supporting a 27” CRT TV. I decided to check it out, and sure enough, I found what I believe are a pair of AR speaker stands with oiled walnut veneered shelves. I can’t believe my luck, these things are very rare.

I checked the dimensions to verify and they are the same as AR advertised in the AR High Fidelity Components catalog from ~ 1968. They measure 30 ½” wide, 15 ½” deep, 29” high (the earlier version, shown in the various AR-3 brochures had a depth of 15 3/8”). The only measurement that is different from those advertised is the height of the bottom shelf which is 13” instead of the stated 14”. As with the smaller speaker bases, there is nothing that indicates that these were made by AR.

They are well built. The legs are one continuous piece (½” square stock, 28” long) with one fixed (welded) flange to support the bottom shelf, and one removable flange for the top shelf.  There is a protective plastic cap on the bottom. To assemble the shelf, a leg is passed through one of the square holes on the bottom panel. Then the removable flange is screwed to the top of the leg, and both flanges are then fastened with four screws into pre-drilled holes on the bottom of each panel. Interestingly, two of the top flanges on each shelf are partial units with one side missing.

I searched around at the sale in the hope of spotting the pair of AR’s that these shelves might have supported, but no luck. However, there was a period H.H. Scott 388-B receiver in excellent cosmetic shape.

This pair is in good overall shape, and they look like they supported not only speakers and televisions over the years, but plants as well. The legs could use some new gloss black paint. The panels have some light rings, and one has some damage on one of the long edges, but sanding and some linseed oil should fix all of that. 

I've included a few pictures. I couldn't decide what looked better, an AR-2 or a 3a, on the shelf, so I posted both.

AR stands for AR High Fidelity Components catalog (~1968).jpg

stands pair.jpg

stand legs.jpg

stand 2a.jpg

stand 3a.jpg

Congratulations!  That is indeed a rare find, as these things are seldom turn up in public.  Usually, parents who had stands used for AR speakers passed them down to their kids for use as writing tables, or they held TVs.  AR's woodworking suppliers made these panels in diffeent finishes -- mostly walnut or mahogany -- and supplied the iron legs and hardware and a special wrench (!) for fastening the hardware.  Beautiful stands, IMO, and appropriate for any of the AR bookshelf speakers.  I think the AR-2 looks better in your presentation, but that's probably because there were many more of these stands sold in the years prior to the AR-3a.  The stand also wasn't inexpensive, and this contributed to being dropped some years later.

AR_(09)_Music-Room_Listening-to-AR-2a-AR-3-AR-1.thumb.jpg.9cd47170127bc052f83c0c39e6a4575f.jpg

AR had some special stands, too, such as this special version shown around 1959-1960 in the New York AR Music Room, shortly after the AR-3 and 2a were introduced.  The red indicator lights to the right of the speakers indicated which was playing at any given time.  Note that these shelves were wider than the regular stands, and the wrought-iron posts were a bit thicker and sturdier to support the weight.

Tom

BTW, the $30.00 AR Stands from around 1960 would cost $300.00 in today's money!  Pretty expensive stands, but elegant.

AR-LST custom wall-mounting stands:

AR-LST-Wall-Stand_000.thumb.jpg.d62f09174d283bdccb4730b38d1e103c.jpg

AR-LST-Wall-Stand_000a.jpg.f9d5e7580b5ff6206f0f7d07844781eb.jpg

I went to great lengths to mount my LSTs in our den back in the late 1980s, and I thought they looked great but sounded crappy up so high.  

AR-LST-Stacked_004.jpg.7555e9cf648265346948f73182c22097.jpg

These stands worked much better, and the sound of stacked LSTs was very impressive.  Probably had some minor interference effects from the molding around the top of the stands.

Tom

On 1/25/2023 at 12:46 AM, tysontom said:

Congratulations!  That is indeed a rare find, as these things are seldom turn up in public.  Usually, parents who had stands used for AR speakers passed them down to their kids for use as writing tables, or they held TVs.  AR's woodworking suppliers made these panels in diffeent finishes -- mostly walnut or mahogany -- and supplied the iron legs and hardware and a special wrench (!) for fastening the hardware.  Beautiful stands, IMO, and appropriate for any of the AR bookshelf speakers.  I think the AR-2 looks better in your presentation, but that's probably because there were many more of these stands sold in the years prior to the AR-3a.  The stand also wasn't inexpensive, and this contributed to being dropped some years later.

AR_(09)_Music-Room_Listening-to-AR-2a-AR-3-AR-1.thumb.jpg.9cd47170127bc052f83c0c39e6a4575f.jpg

AR had some special stands, too, such as this special version shown around 1959-1960 in the New York AR Music Room, shortly after the AR-3 and 2a were introduced.  The red indicator lights to the right of the speakers indicated which was playing at any given time.  Note that these shelves were wider than the regular stands, and the wrought-iron posts were a bit thicker and sturdier to support the weight.

Tom

The little wrench that was included with the sale of each AR Speaker stand:

Speaker-Stand-Wrench_04.thumb.jpg.2279765eebb99e35c39f3bb5fe67e3d0.jpg  Speaker-Stand-Wrench_02.thumb.jpg.89aa41ba8307efbe297de6beb3a8fcc7.jpg

I would post a photo of my stands that I bought doubles of because I wasn't sure at what height my 'LSTs' would sound/look their best.

I purchased 16" stands and 21"  of squared-tubular welded steel and since the speakers are so oddly shaped and heavy, I use doubles to accommodate their odd shape and weight. These stands have a capacity of 250lbs. each so I have no fear of them collapsing.

P.S. I sure wish members could have more free-space to post more fotos, as it is, I'm no longer able to even though I've deleted some to make room.

Videos take up much more space than still files of course but, in either case there's no more room. I was able to shrink an image but, only too 41 KB  with break-up so, what's the point.

On 1/25/2023 at 12:46 AM, tysontom said:

Tom

Hello Tom,

These stands first got on my radar about six years ago, and I was thrilled to find this pair. With so many different ways to repurpose these when they’re no longer needed for speaker support, it’s surprising that more of them haven’t been found. I really like the understated and clean appearance; it mates well with the speakers.

Thanks for including that great picture from the AR Music Room. It looks like the front and back legs were connected for added stability, necessary for supporting 140 or so pounds! I would have loved to have visited the Music Rooms, but they were slightly before my time.

My first exposure to a big AR was the 10π at an audio show at a hotel near the Syracuse, NY Airport in November 1976. If I remember correctly, Acoustic Research was set up in a guest room and one of the speakers was in the middle of the room, either on a chair but probably on the dedicated stand (this would make sense for demonstrating the speaker with the woofer environmental control in the 4π position). They had a pipe organ recording playing when I entered the room. I was hooked! There was quite a variety of speakers at the show, and I’m sure a lot of them weren’t in an optimum position for best sound, but none of the others left the impression on me that the 10π did. It conveyed the sound and feel of the pipe organ!

I found another picture from your collection showing a stand in use supporting two AR-3’s in vertical orientation, during a live vs. recorded session.

A very versatile accessory!

AR LvR stands AR-3.jpg

On 1/25/2023 at 1:08 AM, tysontom said:

I went to great lengths to mount my LSTs in our den back in the late 1980s, and I thought they looked great but sounded crappy up so high. 

Tom,

Your AR-LST setup did look great with the custom stands, sorry to hear it didn’t sound as good as you hoped. The custom made stands blended well with the room.

I’ll bet the stacked LST’s sounded great. What amplifiers did you use to drive them?

On 1/27/2023 at 1:50 AM, tysontom said:

The little wrench that was included with the sale of each AR Speaker stand:

You certainly have the most comprehensive AR collection, and this is just one more piece of supporting evidence! It looks like you not only have the stands, but the assembly wrench!

That made my day! Thanks for the pictures.

Jeff

On 1/28/2023 at 10:01 AM, JeffS said:

Tom,

Your AR-LST setup did look great with the custom stands, sorry to hear it didn’t sound as good as you hoped. The custom made stands blended well with the room.

I’ll bet the stacked LST’s sounded great. What amplifiers did you use to drive them?

You certainly have the most comprehensive AR collection, and this is just one more piece of supporting evidence! It looks like you not only have the stands, but the assembly wrench!

That made my day! Thanks for the pictures.

Jeff

Jeff, the LSTs were up too high on the wall installation, but I had no choice and could never get the right balance.  I mean, they actually sounded great overall, but I knew there was room for improvement.  The low end was upset somewhat, too.  Also, the room had too much glass in it (windows), and this didn't help matters.  Those stands were fabricated from HDF, and the bottom shelf was double-thickness.  Each stand thing weighed around 30 lbs. or so but was very dense.  The stands were fastened to the brick wall with six  wall anchors on each stand with light caulking around the edges and then the stands were painted the same color as the room (satin enamel) in Shasta White color.  It looked better than it sounded.  I later added a Velodyne subwoofer to fill in the problem with the bass response, and this helped quite a bit.

With the LSTs (single pair), I used at first a Dynaco ST400 amp but blew out one entire channel.  I then found a Marantz 500 that worked quite well, but it developed some performance issues too, and it eventually failed.  I think the LST's reactive load, plus impedance and relatively low sensitivity, caused many amplifiers to choke before they lived a full life.  AR-LSTs and AR-3s pushed many amplifiers to the breaking point.  I sold the Marantz and bought a new McIntosh MC 2205 -- which had less power -- but it worked flawlessly with never a problem.  I kept that amp until I bought a second pair of LSTs (these belonged to the Boston Audio Society members and were used as a standard to compare with the newly introduced Dahlquist DQ-10.  There was even a write-up in the BAS Speaker magazine on this comparison.  The LST was easily superior to the Dahlquist, by the way, the the LSTs were sold to me as members wanted to get a pair of Allison: One speakers.

In any event, when I had both LSTs together, I wired them in parallel and used the 2205 for a period of time, but this amp would enter into the "Power Guard" limited output on frequent occasions.  With stacked LSTs, the bass response had more impact, of course, due to the additive effect of mutual-radiation impedance with the woofers fairly close together.  This is somewhat akin to the "stacked-Advent" effect that was so widely admired years ago, despite the Advent's other shortcomings.  Anyway, I subsequently traded the 2205 amp for a new MC-2500, which I kept for several years.  It worked perfectly and provided all the power I needed.  I never drove the LSTs needlessly hard, but on some music with wide dynamic range, even the 2500 would light-up the Power Guard soft-clipping lights.  The sound was about as dynamic as anything I've ever had either before or since!  The AR9s had a wider dynamic range with better clarity, but the LSTs had the most spacious, life-like sound on certain music due to the extremely wide dispersion.

Well, quite a bit of my speaker collection has been either given away to family/friends or sold, so I don't have nearly what I used to have.  There are many collections here and abroad that far outclass what I have at this point -- which is a good thing!  Can't keep it forever, and it seemed like I was storing equipment for a museum(I thought of that once, but even Edgar Villchur told me how impractical that would be).  I did donate equipment to the Smithsonian, of course, so that felt good to have it on display.  By the way, I only have one stand!  It was given to me several years ago, and it included the original little wrench.

Tom

19 hours ago, Jim Pearce said:

Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions for the originals to compare the ones that I have and see if they might be genuine?

Jim,

An original AR base (each piece) measures 17 7/8" wide by 11" high. The notches are 3/4" wide by 1 7/16" deep and angled 8 degrees from perpendicular.

On 1/25/2023 at 1:08 AM, tysontom said:

AR-LST-Wall-Stand_000a.jpg.f9d5e7580b5ff6206f0f7d07844781eb.jpg

That was my first thought when I saw the high mounting height...potentially compromised sound from that position.   Did you ever lower them a bit to correct the matter?

People complain about placement issues with the AR9 and 90's, but the footprints of those speakers are about the same as an upright large bookshelf speaker; even less than for the bookshelf units placed horizontally on those early AR stands.

On 2/1/2023 at 7:48 AM, AR surround said:

That was my first thought when I saw the high mounting height...potentially compromised sound from that position.   Did you ever lower them a bit to correct the matter?

People complain about placement issues with the AR9 and 90's, but the footprints of those speakers are about the same as an upright large bookshelf speaker; even less than for the bookshelf units placed horizontally on those early AR stands.

I would have loved to mount the LSTs lower in that room, but it wasn't possible.  They were just barely above head-height walking into the den from the right side, so it was not possible.  There was also the wife factor: it had to look presentable, and this installation was satisfactory.  The main reason for "not-great" sound was the room itself: it had lots of casement windows around each side, and a lot of window glass -- particularly pane-glass windows -- will usually harm sound reproduction somewhat, but the high mounting position caused a lot of interference effects from the ceiling, etc., which hurt the sound.  

Speakers such as the AR-LST and LST/2 (and even MST) are room sensitive and need to be carefully mounted for best performance.  Space is needed on the sides without too much obstruction, with the speakers well up off the floor, such as on a shelf or stand.  They need to be placed relatively close to a front wall (back against the front wall is fine and actually desirable) for proper bass reproduction (2-Pi).  When I first got the LSTs, I mounted them in on a shelf about three feet off the floor, three or four feet from the room corners and about eight feet between each other in a fairly large room.  The sound was great, it seemed to me, at the time.  

The tower speakers such as the AR9 and AR90 are somewhat less restricted, at least from the viewpoint of forward radiation, but they, too, should be placed fairly close to the front wall and away from the corners, if possible.  They take up very little space considering the massiveness of the speakers themselves.