Finally working on the AR-3. Pics and usual dumb questions.

Reel Man

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A post with the covers on. I ended up experimenting with hydrogen peroxide, watered down, exposed to the sun, then lemon juice( it was recommended for nylon clothes), neither of which worked to reverse the fade, but while they soaked, I did give them a microfiber wash-cloth treatment, which did clean them a bit. They're a smidge darker than the pictures, but they look pretty good in the sunlight.

DSC07200.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I've been playing with an AR-3 speaker on the right, and an AR-3a on the left. At the moment; I'm preferring the 3a. It's tweeter does a better job on xylophone notes, and it has better bass volume. I read the Stereo Review article on the 3a, and it stated in a comparison between it and the 3, that one could made to sound marginally better than the other, with the pots on certain material(with the original cloth-style woofers). The mid on the 3 is actually a bit TOO loud, especially in comparison with the un-restored 3a mids, but that is an easy fix. The 3a bass is much louder, and warmer(probably because of that volume), but a bit flabby, and the 3 is better defined, but inhibited sounding. I'm thinking the acoustic seal is a bit too loose on the 3a, and a bit too tight on the three, so I'll have to fiddle with both of them in the upcoming months.