Jump to content

Can anyone suggest replacement pots and capacitors for 1965-1970 era AR3 speakers?


Ray K
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have inherited a pair of vintage AR-3 speakers (SNs C-63904 and C-52785) that are cosmetically very nice but which need to have some components replaced to restore good acoustic performance.
 
I believe that the pots and caps in the crossovers need to be replaced for each speaker to be repaired (*after operation of the woofer, mid-range speaker and tweeter are confirmed).  
 
This site has published a very helpful write-up by John O'Hanlon and Tom Tyson that includes a schematic for AR3s of the same vintage as mine.
 
* Can anyone please suggest specific pots and caps (including model numbers, contact information for a source for these components and ideally skus) that will be functionally equivalent to the OEM parts?  
 
Thanks in advance for your help
 
Sincerely, Ray Keogh
 
p.s.  in case this is of interest, evidently these speakers are fairly difficult to disassemble, but I found a YouTube video providing a good explanation as to the steps required.
 
 
In a nutshell, I believe that the scope of work needed to make this repair is:
 
- Move the badges on the acoustic grilles, partly install a screw (into the frame that the acoustic cloth is attached to), then carefully pry the frame of the acoustic grille from the chassis of the speaker unit.
- Remove the acoustic putty and the woofer from each speaker.
- Check the woofer, mid-range speaker and teeter to confirm that these components are still OK.
- Replace the capacitors in the crossover and the pots using the appropriate components.
- Temporarily hook up the woofers and bench test the speaker to ensure that it is working properly.
- Solder the connections to the woofers, re-seat them into the chassis using an appropriate putty, and re-install the front grille.
- Move the badges into position to hide the holes from the removal screws, and check that the speakers look good and are working well.
 

Unknown.jpeg

20220718_121839.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 12.07.11 PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Ray K said:

Move the badges on the acoustic grilles, partly install a screw (into the frame that the acoustic cloth is attached to), then carefully pry the frame of the acoustic grille from the chassis of the speaker unit.

Ray K

Very nice AR3s

The instructions you reference apply to grills that were glued and stapled.  Don't do this to your AR3 grills unless someone with AR3 grill removal experience says it is OK.  AR3 grills were slightly oversized and force fitted into grooves without glue and staples. They are tricky to remove without breaking.

@JKent, whom you can private message, may still have some fairly priced, new replacement Pots for sale or you can use Lpads with resistors as described in the AR3a restoration guide.  There are other issues specific to AR3 mid range and tweeter drivers that you should be aware of as well.  Be patient and wait for help before you open your speakers. 

Adams

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just recently restored a pair of early cloth woofer 3a's, and while there are unique differences between the models I would suggest these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255474786581 - they are correct 16ohm 25 watt potentiometers - heavy ceramic insulated (engraved CLS) and no need to add any resistors. 

New capacitors - Parts Express - Dayton precision audio grade.

Also, the tweeter's and the mid's need rebuilding - RoyC at vintage AR on eBay. I had Chris rebuild my tweeters and it made a huge difference, although I don't know if he does the 3 tweeters. 

Don't forget the putty from vintage AR on eBay, solder/solder gun, and maybe new grills from vintage AR.

I went into it as a newbie and am thrilled with the results - well worth the expense. Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jnolan5784 said:

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255474786581 - they are correct 16ohm 25 watt potentiometers - heavy ceramic insulated (engraved CLS) and no need to add any resistors. 

PM sent. That’s my eBay ad but I sell to CSP members directly at a discount.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jnolan5784 said:

I just recently restored a pair of early cloth woofer 3a's, and while there are unique differences between the models I would suggest these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255474786581 - they are correct 16ohm 25 watt potentiometers - heavy ceramic insulated (engraved CLS) and no need to add any resistors. 

New capacitors - Parts Express - Dayton precision audio grade.

Also, the tweeter's and the mid's need rebuilding - RoyC at vintage AR on eBay. I had Chris rebuild my tweeters and it made a huge difference, although I don't know if he does the 3 tweeters. 

Don't forget the putty from vintage AR on eBay, solder/solder gun, and maybe new grills from vintage AR.

Any work you may be inclined to have done by Vintage_AR can be sent directly to me. Turn around time will be much quicker and you can save a few dollars along the way. This forum's personal message system is your friend. :)

Roy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...