AR Speaker Shelves

JohnnyTheG

Has anyone ever come across these shelves AR made?  I've never seen any used ones for sale or any pictures in someone's home.  I am sure however many they sold, they just got used for shelving and were tossed out through the years.  I am curious about them though.  Very mid century vintage looking.  I wouldn't mind finding a pair.

1548801084_ARspeakerstand2.jpg.c8927ba5910abc5cf0371384c694e2be.jpg

I've been hoping to find a pair of these for the last few years, but no luck. I've never seen a pair on ebay, or at any type of sale or shop.

I'd guess your right that there is probably nothing identifying them as an AR product. They're certainly well built if they can hold a 3 series and a bunch of LP's.

Years ago I went to an estate sale that had a couple of pairs of AR speakers (2ax, 4x) and an XA, all at around retail prices or more. While browsing in another room I looked down and on the floor I spotted a plastic lazy susan with twist ties holding it on 4 wooden legs, the legs being a single AR speaker base. I asked how much they wanted for it and they said $7. I'll take it!

On 3/18/2022 at 3:46 PM, ar_pro said:

I'm pretty sure that they were used in AR's Grand Central Station music room, but I don't think I've ever seen them in the wild.

You're right that they look very MCM, though I probably wouldn't recognize them for what they were at a yard sale, or the like.

I don’t remember them from the Grand Central Station Listening Room but I only visited that room during the summers of 1968, 1969, and 1970, when I had summer jobs in Manhattan. Besides, my memory is clouded by the fact that the Listening Room was an incredible oasis away from the summer heat in NYC during those years. The station wasn’t air conditioned during those years, but the Listening Room was. The great music and the incredible sound wasn’t the only reason I spent most of my lunches in the Listening Room.

I think the rod iron legs on the shelves must have been held to the shelves pretty securely.  They would have to hold up the weight of the speakers and a rack of LPs underneath.  RoyC makes replicas of the smaller stands, I wonder if he ever took a crack and making the shelves?  @ar_proI think I saw the picture you are referring to.  The speaker was definitely on an AR shelf in that pic if I remember correctly.

I had a set of the top speaker stands in the ad above many many years ago with my AR2ax's on them. They were pretty cool.

And if I remember correctly they were very sturdy.

Where are they now.....who knows.

My father also had a pair of the AR shelves after he bought his new 4X speakers in 1966. The had the same walnut finish used on most AR speakers, were extremely sturdy, with the speakers always placed horizontally. They were kept in our basement after moving into a house with built-in bookshelves. My mother eventually sold them at a garage sale for around $5 each.

8 hours ago, JohnnyTheG said:

Wow, @xmas111finally we tracked down someone who actually owned them!  Did you hear a difference in the horizontal positioning of the speakers?  In terms of the shelves, I am sure there are many that are sitting in antique stores and thrift stores around the country being sold just as furniture.

@JohnnyTheGto be honest I can't remember. I was only a teenage at the time and was only interested in blasting rock 'n roll music ....not so much the quality of the sound.... :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

I am thinking about making a replica of the speaker stands (not the base) for my AR-2ax.  I know someone who can make the wood shelving by gluing 2 1x8 maple boards, then putting through a planer on both sides.  The legs are a bit harder, but I have sourced two options: (i) 3/8" round threaded metal pipe with flanges and connectors - use a 20" and 8" with the connector holding the shelf from underneath, then figure out something for the feet; and (ii) I have a friend who is an architect and designer for commercial spaces.  He builds a lot  for his spaces and has a fab shop.  I showed him the picture, and he said no problem, but he's pricey.  Has anyone else tried to build these?

1 hour ago, LorneG said:

I am thinking about making a replica of the speaker stands (not the base) for my AR-2ax.  I know someone who can make the wood shelving by gluing 2 1x8 maple boards, then putting through a planer on both sides.  The legs are a bit harder, but I have sourced two options: (i) 3/8" round threaded metal pipe with flanges and connectors - use a 20" and 8" with the connector holding the shelf from underneath, then figure out something for the feet; and (ii) I have a friend who is an architect and designer for commercial spaces.  He builds a lot  for his spaces and has a fab shop.  I showed him the picture, and he said no problem, but he's pricey.  Has anyone else tried to build these?

What a great idea.  If you get them built and they wind up being pretty close to the originals, let me know the cost.  I may join you in getting a pair.