More bass, bottom end

Hello good people:

My CB-10's are the biggest woofer I am running right now (along with baby advents and AR 102's both with 6.5" woofers) but feel I need a little more bottom end bass ,

and after scouring ebay and other auction sites I see I can buy all the drivers I need to piece together a decent KLH system, model 5  12" woofers mids tweets and crossovers

cheaper than a complete speaker set..  DO any of these companies (AR Advent KLH etc.) make a stand alone sub??) What makes these speakers so good ?? the drivers the boxes etc,

I should be able to make a exact copy of a speaker box and if I use factory drivers and crossovers would it not sound the same?  What are you guys (girls) doing for more bottom end?

Lonny

Although I've never heard the KLH CB-10s I would think their 10" woofers would provide plenty of bass. And although I really like the KLH Fives and am really looking forward to seeing your custom cabinets, I doubt they will provide much more bass. And yes--if you use the KLH Model Five drivers and crossover, and build exact copies of the cabinets and use the same amount of fiberglass stuffing they should sound the same.

AR did make the 1-W, which would be a standalone sub but those are pretty rare and expensive. I have a kit-built VMPS sub from the '80s that I use in my home theater. 12" driver and 15" passive radiator in a big box. Pretty earth-shaking. I used to run it with an electronic crossover and a bridged amp but later added a plate amp from Apex Jr to save space.

You're obviously into cabinet building. You could go to apexjr.com and scope out the woofers he has for sale. On this page http://www.apexjr.com/speakerstuff.html he has a Cerwin Vega 12" woofer along with suggestions on cabinet size and a plate amp. Parts would run you about $80 plus your cabinet. Or check out Parts Express. They have lots of subwoofer drivers and parts. Here's an 18" "starter" kit https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-ultimax-subwoofer-and-starter-enclosure-package--300-7028

There are MANY modern subs that could work. This one is good and quite reasonable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000092TT0?tag=aboutcom02lifewire-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=4066815|naaeee42341ea4ce69172a29276a4b84419 or a step up: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NVPMJNC?tag=aboutcom02lifewire-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&ascsubtag=4066815|naaeee42341ea4ce69172a29276a4b84419 or...... there are many out there.

Kent

Hello Kent:

I was not aware of the AR-1w, but after reading this http://acousticresearchspeakers.net/2016/10/acoustic-research-ar-1w-loudspeaker-single-lacquered-walnut-finish-sn-09697-2/ 

It gave lots of technical numbers for the speaker and the box, I like it. IT gives me another way to go , I'm looking for a winter project (we already have 4-5 inches of snow). Being in northern B.C. Can. KLH fives are hard to find, and if  you  do find one(two)  they are $800-$1000 pr.  I've priced out KLH 5 woofers, mids, tweets and crossovers and I could build one (two)for far less. The Dayton kits look interesting in a 15" or 18"  I saw an ad for the AR 1w  $2500 a pair WoW.

I'll keep  posting my progress..

Lonny

Hello All:

After reading a lot about  the AR-1W  I have come to the conclusion that I need  them (but not for a $1000+). I have my KLH 5 woofers and crossovers being shipped as of yesterday .

All the reading I did on the AR-1W  and KLH 5  I found the boxes to be  very close in size,  130 cubic inches (2.1l ) difference to be exact,  So I decided to replicate the AR-1W boxes

with the KLH 5 12" woofers and some form of crossover/lowpass circuit ( the AR-1W was low passed at 600-650 hz)   I should have my wood cut  (3/4" oak to match everything else)

before my woofers get here  pictures will follow...

Lonny

I also experimented with DIY woofers to add extended bass to my smaller main speakers. I had played with AR 3a woofer(essentially equivalent to AR1W) and more recently NHT 1259(used in NHT 3.1) and finally Dayton RSS380 HF4. Theoretically the NHT and Dayton will have lower resonant frequencies( below 40 hz) and more output capacity than the AR woofer. . https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/10520-dayton-rss-390-hf4-and-nht-1259-subwoofers-relative-frequency-response-in-a-room-searching-for-20-hz-deep-bass/

My experience has been positive and would like hear about your adventure.

George

8 hours ago, CYNR said:

I should have my wood cut  (3/4" oak to match everything else) before my woofers get here  pictures will follow...

Looking forward to that! I do like solid oak cabinets. The surrounds in my home theater include Cizek HTA (rear) Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance (side) and home-built Hi-Vi 3" full-range (front high) speakers. All solid (not veneered) oak. I may covet your subwoofer ;)

Kent

15 11 14_2311.JPG

Ambiance.JPG

Zaph spkrs 1.jpg

What have I got myself into,  woodworking and MATH! two of my least favorite subjects, but I am a details guy so I know the results will be

exactly what I am looking for. It's snowing here again so just about time to turn the heat on in the shop and get to work.  Ligs I read your other post

and I have a question for you or  anyone, is there a formula to figure out how much fill to use in each box?? 

more to come...

Lonny

13 minutes ago, CYNR said:

is there a formula to figure out how much fill to use in each box?? 

I'd use the AR-3a as a starting point. This is a quote from the Restoration Guide:

"The early Alnico-woofer AR-3a requires 28–30 oz. of yellow fiberglass. The late ceramic woofer models require 20 oz. of fiberglass. AR did not use polyester stuffing in the AR-3a; it will not provide the required low system resonance, fC".

I looked through my notes on KLH Five restoration but did not find any info on the amount of stuffing. So maybe start with 20 oz of fiberglass and see how it sounds. 

Thanks Kent,

The AR3a box is verrrry close to the AR1w box and mine will be the same dimensions as the AR1. I read that the AR1w box " was filled with fiberglass" but no numbers ?

So now I have a number to start with.  I have not read all of the AR3a Restoration guide but will ..

Lonny

6 hours ago, CYNR said:

I have a question for you or  anyone, is there a formula to figure out how much fill to use in each box?? 

more to come...

Lonny

The general rule is about 1 lb fiberfill for each cubic ft volume. If there is a specific recommendation for a specific woofer then use that as a starting point. 

George

Hello Speaker freaks:

I received my KLH 5 woofers (and xo's) today, checked the VC's 4.1 ohms ,frequency sweep from 0 to 1000 sounded smooth . These speakers look  new except for the sloppy 

re soldering job. These cones are the thickest and stiffest material I've seen. Looks like the cloth surround's and dust caps need to be resealed . Ok now for the questions, the speakers

came with   5 Mf  15v caps soldered across the + - terminals,  as I am not using the  KLH 5 crossovers should I keep them or remove them ??? I will be using off the shelf lowpass

filters  350 hz  12 dB slope. I had to drop my wood at a cabinet maker to get cut because I don't have the tools or room to cut a 4x8 sheet down, I should be able to pick it up next week.

Till next time...

Lonny

I would remove the 15 v caps, since you plan to use your own filters. BTW, from the KLH 5 crossover schematic, I did not see any 5 Mf 15V capacitor connected in the woofer circuit. Usually when a cap is used in a speaker crossover, the voltage rating is typically 50v or higher.

George

• 4 weeks later...

Hello good people:

I am making progress on this project now that I have  (almost) everything in hand, there are no before pictures of the speakers because all they were was a pile of plywood pieces not photo worthy.  A picture of the KLH model 5 woofers with the new low pass filters and spring terminals from my baby Advent II tune up. The cabs were made of 3/4 inch  Baltic birch because the available oak was crappy looking, so Baltic birch with 3 coats of  golden oak stain.  I sent the baffles back to the carpenter to have the rabbet joint cut around the hole for the speaker inset. not much else I can do until I get the baffles back . I have ordered surround sealer from Vintage AR as mine look to be very porous, judging by the flashlight behind the speaker test.. Tomorrow some waxing and buffing and maybe install the lowpass filters and terminal cups..

Lonny

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3414.JPG

IMG_3421.JPG

Hey Guys:

Thanks for the tip about the XO's, I am planning on  mounting them inside  but will have access to them if they need tweaking.

The gold oak on birch looks great when it is still wet, but dulls a little while drying so today I will try furniture wax and elbow grease.

I still have to get the pink insulation stuffing and 1/4" hardboard for the grills, the grill fabric is in the mail and is coffee colored to match

the CB-10's and baby Advent's. I am still waiting on a backordered amplifier (200 wpc 8Ohms)to power the AR's KLH's and Advents then these

woofers will  get the Peavey IPS150 75 wpc.

Lonny

Finally, got my baffles back, never tell a worker "No Hurries".  Installed 24 oz. of pink insulation as per Ligs and kent's recommendations ( averaged )

got the grills cut out but am still waiting for the cloth to cover them . don't have time today to hook them up .

Lonny

IMG_3434.JPG

IMG_3438.JPG

Hello all:

I hooked these up and was not disappointed with results, I have no scientific way of measuring them, just my ears and brain, and my brain said wow!

Once I get the surrounds doped they should get better according to most everyone on here. Now my dilemma these are too nice to just be subs, so I 

am bidding on some model 23 tweeters to finish this build and turn them into replica 23's (for the basement) but I need a little info,  measurement's to cut the

tweeter holes (top to middle of tweeter and side to middle) and numbers (milihenry's) for the inductors, I have the numbers for the resistors and cap along with a

diagram So any "23"  owners out there please feed my addiction.. 

Lonny

sub6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you weren't aware, Model Five and Twelve tweeters are equivalent. Model Six,
Seventeen, Twenty, Thirty, and Thirty Three will fit, but they have different voicing.
I haven't compared the two variations side-by-side, so I don't know how much
difference there is.

Thanks dxho, I am aware of these other tweeters I could use, when I say I'm looking for model 23 tweeters I am looking at all options just none have come up for sale yet ,That is why I went with a phenolic tweeter until I find the correct tweeters, I am still waiting on my crossover parts to build the 23 crossovers.....     https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/klh-model-23-dimensions.939140/page-2

Lonny

• 4 weeks later...