Market for AR-11

Pete B

Planning to sell my AR-11s and was wondering how the market is moving

and where to sell them?

Just bought a pair for $350.00. Think this is a pretty middle of the road price. Considering condition and cosmetics and all. You see tweeters going for $100.00 bucks, woofers and mid-ranges about the same. I would say at least that for speakers with all drivers working. Hope that helps

On 4/2/2018 at 1:49 PM, Pete B said:

Planning to sell my AR-11s and was wondering how the market is moving

and where to sell them?

Hey Pete,

Unfortunately AR-11 parts sell for more than the complete speaker. Ebay's "Vintage_AR" usually parts them out, as the mids and woofers are often used for the repair of the much more lucrative AR-3a.

Roy

11 hours ago, RoyC said:

Hey Pete,

Unfortunately AR-11 parts sell for more than the complete speaker. Ebay's "Vintage_AR" usually parts them out, as the mids and woofers are often used for the repair of the much more lucrative AR-3a.

Roy

That goes for about 99.9% of all worthwhile vintage systems no matter the maker

I picked up a pair of empty AR-11 cabs with trashed fronts for super cheap a while back. I've filled in that dust capturing groove with thin walnut strips and am going to mount AR-3-style frames on the fronts.

I have a full set of drivers and crossovers in my parts box. Still mulling over whether to use the AR-11 crossover as-is or mod it to be AR-3a-ish.

3 hours ago, genek said:

I picked up a pair of empty AR-11 cabs with trashed fronts for super cheap a while back. I've filled in that dust capturing groove with thin walnut strips and am going to mount AR-3-style frames on the fronts.

I have a full set of drivers and crossovers in my parts box. Still mulling over whether to use the AR-11 crossover as-is or mod it to be AR-3a-ish.

Hi Gene,

Original AR-3a tweeters are not likely to produce enough output with the AR-11 crossover,  and the switches are not as versatile as continuously variable controls. If you use an AR-11 style tweeter, I would recommend using the AR-3a Limited crossover which was designed around the stronger AR-11 tweeter and 8 ohm L-pads.

Roy

Hi Roy,

The tweeters and mids are AR-11 units. So if I use the crossovers as-is, what I'll have is an AR-11 in AR-3a clothing. I'm kind of leaning in that direction right now. Path of least resistance.

23 hours ago, genek said:

Hi Roy,

The tweeters and mids are AR-11 units. So if I use the crossovers as-is, what I'll have is an AR-11 in AR-3a clothing. I'm kind of leaning in that direction right now. Path of least resistance.

Understood...I'm increasingly becoming a fan of that "path" myself, Gene. :)  It will still be an interesting project.

The AR11 is a great speaker. I have a set that I have brought to there original glory. Replaced tweeters, had both woofer surrounds replaced and voice coil fixed in one, and replaced capacitors with new poly's. I love them!! Have a set of Ar3a I just bought but they need some work. Anyone with a Ar3a tweeter pm me

Archived