AR3A Need advise

Ray O

Looking for advise on how to repair one of my AR3a speakers.  

I have two pair.  One older front wired set in very nice condition and a newer pair that are working well but not as nice.  
On my older pair, I drove them too hard (another topic later) and the mid and tweeter cut out on one of them. Using the restoration guide, I tested and disassembled and have determined the mid and hi tweeters on one of them are probably damaged.  I get infiniti ohms on both of them.  

From reading this forum, it looks like there may be some restoration possible.  Can anyone provide advise?  Both of these speakers appear to be original, there are no part numbers on either one, but there are dates stamped on the speakers indicating March/April 1971.

Should I try and get these repaired?  And if so, any suggestions on who I should contact?

If replacement is more in order, I have been reading about a newer replacement for the tweeter, (P/N 12000840) that will most likely require the addition of a cap and a coil?  Have not found much on the mid range yet.  If I go the replacement route, should I just fix the one speaker or should I replace the speakers on both to maintain similar sound?  

I really like these speakers, the sound is so clear, even to my 62 year old ears.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Ray and welcome

CSP member RoyC may be able to repair the mid. Send him a PM.

For the tweeter the best/easiest solution IMHO is to get a pair of HiVi tweets and a couple of inductors. Other possibilities would be to have CSP member Chris1this1 rebuild your tweeters or buy these new replacements from Midwest Speaker: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-Acoustic-Research-Replacement-Tweeter-for-AR9-AR11-AR58s-Speaker-MT-4121-4/152720220413?hash=item238ed5a0fd:g:k~kAAOSwc8lZzEo4

The HiVi option is much less expensive and will give you brand new tweeters of good quality that should last a long time.

-Kent

Archived