Issue with KLH Model 5's... One is brigher than the other

MOEB74

Looking for a guru's input on this, or really anyone that understands these things. I bought set of these speakers with the crossovers already recapped. I trust the guy that did the work, he has a good rep on the AK.com forum. I dont know how many he has done, but he has been honest with me and I dont get any bad vibes. Question is, that one speaker is brighter than the other. If I use the above 7000 CPS selector it sounds closer to the other. But still not 100%.. Any idea why? I thought maybe the receiver was dying or a section was, so I swapped the speaker wires and the one speaker still sounds brighter, hence me pointing to that particular speaker's crossover.

thanks!

On 12/13/2017 at 1:49 PM, MOEB74 said:

I dont know how many he has done, but he has been honest with me and I dont get any bad vibes

That doesn't mean he didn't make an honest mistake.

Or, as dxho says, it could be the drivers.

Were the resisters also replaced with the recap?  i hope the new caps were measured to make sure they are in spec and close to each other?  By swapping drivers you can determine if one has diminished output.  It's a process of elimination. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2017 at 7:51 PM, larrybody said:

Were the resisters also replaced with the recap?

Good question. KLH used 5w resistors in the Five and the similar Twelve and I've seen scorched resistors in both models.

• 2 months later...

If I recall correctly, there is a dual-capacitor with two different values in one capacitor. When rebuilding, one replaces that cap with two separate capacitors. I remember someone advising to ensure that you test the leads of the dual cap prior to removal to verify which replacement capacitor goes where.

That is one place to make a mistake if I’m not mistaken.

Archived