Very early 3's on eBay-5K!! Yikes!

GD70

Rather bold to ask for that kind of price, eh?.....particularly considering there are no pics of the drivers to confirm full authenticity. And yep, the serial numbers are indeed impressive to collectors, but in my opinion the potentially high value of this pair has been hugely diminished by the heavy-handed stain application on the pine cabinets. Any chance of resuscitating the original finish (or unfinish) is lost forever.

AR-3 $5K.jpg

On 10/13/2017 at 12:11 PM, ra.ra said:

Rather bold to ask for that kind of price, eh?.....particularly considering there are no pics of the drivers to confirm full authenticity. And yep, the serial numbers are indeed impressive to collectors, but in my opinion the potentially high value of this pair has been hugely diminished by the heavy-handed stain application on the pine cabinets. Any chance of resuscitating the original finish (or unfinish) is lost forever.

You raise interesting points about this pr.   If you look at one of the pictures, one can see the drivers through the grille fabric.  They appear to me to be correct; at least for the mid and tweeter.  Woofer is difficult to see.   Having owned early AR3 prs before, I can attest to the fragility of the grille fabric.  How can one remove the fabric without irreparably damaging it ?  I suspect this is a concern for the seller....at least it would be for me.   As for the cabinets, a skilled wood restorer can strip off the finish(es) to uncover the bare wood below and then refinish to match.   And at that price, what's a few hundred extra to restore the outward appearance ?

25 minutes ago, rl1856 said:

If you look at one of the pictures, one can see the drivers through the grille fabric.  They appear to me to be correct; at least for the mid and tweeter.

Yes, I would tend to agree with this statement as far as we can guess from the pics provided. And while I have no further substantive reason to challenge original authenticity, we just don't really know, do we?....and my point is that without pics, bidding on this auction without confirmation would be a huge (and naive?) leap of faith, especially at that price. And yep, trying to remove those plastic AR-3 grille frames can be a delicate operation, but since the seller made no such disclaimer or comment toward this issue, this posting remains simply an incomplete description and unconvincing  sales pitch for anyone to offer up any bid at all.

38 minutes ago, rl1856 said:

...a skilled wood restorer can strip off the finish(es) to uncover the bare wood below and then refinish to match.

Respectfully, I'll continue to disagree on this point. In this forum, I have documented in detail my attempt to refinish pine AR cabinets that had previously been heavily painted, and despite the arduous labor and significant time investment, I have no regrets and am pleased with the results. However, and as an overgeneralized statement, paint basically sits upon the surface of the wood, and can possibly be removed with chemicals and abrasion. Stain, on the other hand, is meant to seep and soak deeper into the veneer layer. With a darker fine-grained hardwood veneer such as mahogany or walnut (both offered by AR) I might tend to agree that some measure of color or shade recovery might be possible, but with this very light-colored, dry, wide-grained species like pine, my confidence level is near zero for ever restoring these to "original" appearance. 

Archived