Intro

Curt

I was glad to find this group on Classic Speaker Pages. I have been a fan of Allison speakers since I purchased my pair of CD-7's in the mid to late 80's. After not being able to spend the same amount of time with stereo equipment that I had before I was married and raised my kids, I'm getting back into it again.  I have been fortunate enough to acquire several additional Allison speakers, including Al-105's, Mini Reference and my all time favorites, CD-9's

Curt

That's a nice, varied collection of models you have!

Years ago I bought a CD 9 woofer on eBay (that still needs rebuilding) to have as a backup.

That was after buying (2) new 10 inch woofers from the long gone "ressurected" Allison Acoustics of 2000. Those replacements are more "generic" and lack the detail that Roy Allison had specified for the woofers in all of his "one thru nine" models.

One of those two went away when I sold off my Allison Ones, and the other is unused in a box, and it will stay there.

Bill

On 9/16/2017 at 10:26 PM, JKent said:

Welcome Curt. Lots of Allison fans here (although AR gets the most attention).  Great speakers.

-Kent

That's for sure....

some of us are AR "refugees" that evolved from AR, and some (like Tom Tyson,) continue to enjoy both.

To this day, I'm amazed at the huge following AR has compared to Allison.

One things for sure....I'm outnumbered by a mile!

Bill

2 hours ago, newandold said:

I'm amazed at the huge following AR has compared to Allison........I'm outnumbered by a mile!

This is mostly a matter of the non-comparable number of loudspeaker units produced by the two companies, I would say. Many of those Allison models are absolutely terrific audio speakers, and tho' I have yet to own a pair, I enjoy learning from those members like yourself that have deep knowledge and passion for this line of products.

4 hours ago, ra.ra said:

This is mostly a matter of the non-comparable number of loudspeaker units produced by the two companies, I would say. Many of those Allison models are absolutely terrific audio speakers, and tho' I have yet to own a pair, I enjoy learning from those members like yourself that have deep knowledge and passion for this line of products.

You are right on the money ? I'm sure.

By the time Allison started up Acoustc Reaearch probably manufactured more units than Allison did during their entire existence.

Bill

Welcome to the treehouse Curt.

I myself have Allison ones that I rotate in my home office, which is the system I most listen too since I am in there a good portion of the day.  They ar very nice indeed but would probably still benefit from some refurbishment.

I also have a pair of Al120 in storage.

• 4 months later...

Saw this thread and couldn't help adding my two cents. I have Al 125s, Al 115s, Al 110s, Al 105s, (Missing 120s and 130s, actually have been circling on a couple of 120s), NL 1440s, and box set of AV home theater speakers (Kentucky version; no convex tweeter) that includes 4 AV 200 bookshelf, AV 202 Center Channel, MW4 subwoofer. I also bought Curt's RA Labs Mini-reference and I have the RA Labs subwoofer.

Wife complains but I will not give them up except to family. Oh yeah, gave my son the RA labs Reference 4A.

LOVE my Allison speakers.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2017 at 10:26 AM, newandold said:

That was after buying (2) new 10 inch woofers from the long gone "ressurected" Allison Acoustics of 2000. Those replacements are more "generic" and lack the detail that Roy Allison had specified for the woofers in all of his "one thru nine" models.

I talked to the man who was running the company at the time, I believe his name was Dave, and he said that the drivers were specced to a higher power rating and he never said anything about downgrading the sonic parameters of the woofers. I replace my Threes with all of the new drivers from the resurrected firm, and I found them to be pretty darned good, except for a minor loss of detail from the midrange drivers, which has been noted by some reviewers . I had asked him about the xovers for the new models, and he said these were corrected slightly for the added differences in the new drivers, but the quality was upgraded to reflect the cost premium. The price was up there, so they had to perform in order to reflect that.

Did you do an A/B comparison on those new 10"woofers you had acquired from Allison?  I am just curious as to how you came to that conclusion. The woofers you received from the regrouped Allison firm had round magnets. Do the 10" CD9's have square magnets, like the 8" woofers on the CD8's? I'm just curious is all. My CD8's have square magnets, which was a very unexpected surprise.

18 hours ago, Allison Fan said:

I talked to the man who was running the company at the time, I believe his name was Dave, and he said that the drivers were specced to a higher power rating and he never said anything about downgrading the sonic parameters of the woofers. I replace my Threes with all of the new drivers from the resurrected firm, and I found them to be pretty darned good, except for a minor loss of detail from the midrange drivers, which has been noted by some reviewers . I had asked him about the xovers for the new models, and he said these were corrected slightly for the added differences in the new drivers, but the quality was upgraded to reflect the cost premium. The price was up there, so they had to perform in order to reflect that.

Did you do an A/B comparison on those new 10"woofers you had acquired from Allison?  I am just curious as to how you came to that conclusion. The woofers you received from the regrouped Allison firm had round magnets. Do the 10" CD9's have square magnets, like the 8" woofers on the CD8's? I'm just curious is all. My CD8's have square magnets, which was a very unexpected surprise.

David Faulkner is who you are referring to most likely.

I was in communication with him quite a bit back in 2000, before things came to an unfortunate end.

Nobody said anything about “degrading sonic parameters”, as you indicated.

I believe you confused “detail” with Sonics, my fault, the way it was written.

What was meant by that was Roy A. had specific parameters designed into each of the woofers that went into those Model One thru 9(weights, dampening etc.).

I have here somewhere the spec. Sheet chart, with all of that stuff written out and when I can find it, I will post it here.

You’re in good shape with a set of the newer drivers in a pair of model threes.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Archived