AR2x speakers - will 15 watts per channel work?

sean kirk

Hi all.

I have AR2x speakers. Will a Marantz receiver with only 15 WPC take away anything from the sound quality of my Ar2Xs?

Currently I have a Sherwood with 40 WPC, and they sound good, but I like the small size of the Marantz and may buy it.

Thanks!

Sean

marantz.jpg

AR2x speakers.jpg

Despite my earlier post in your other thread, at a bare minimum that Marantz receiver might be suitable for your situation with the 2x's. No Marantz expert here, but this lit rates the 2220 at 20 wpc (40 watts mentioned is for both channels).

marantz 2220.jpg

Thanks for this.

The other Marantz I'm looking at is: The Model 2015 is a full 30 Watts continuous power into 8 Ω speakers, from 40 Hz to 20 kHz, with THD and Intermodulation less than 0,9%.

IS 30 W continuous power mean 15 watts per channel? IF so, this would not be good to power the ARxs with correct?

How loud do you like your music played? If you like rock, heavy metal and the like, then playing loud music could result in clipping of the amp and burnout of your drivers. If, OTOH, you want the receiver for soft background music, it should work fine whether 15 or 30 WPC. 

Looking at the cutouts on your pictured speakers they look more like 2ax's to me and early ones to boot. I would think a Marantz 2220 would drive them but with not any headroom. Your speakers being acoustic suspension really like power. I would look for a 2240 or 2245 and ideally a 2270 would be a very good match for early 2ax's. Here are my 2240 and two 2270's and they all drive my 2ax's and 5's really well. 4 ohm 3 and 3a's need more power yet.  Marantz 2270 were produced in mass and easy to find. One in good operating condition will fetch a premium because these are really sought after.

iTh4kb9.jpg

I am currently running a set of 2ax and a set of 5s from a 2270. I have used a 2230 for both and the result is thin and as earlier mentioned, if underfed your speakers are vulnerable. now if you had a set 4x....

16 hours ago, larrybody said:

Looking at the cutouts on your pictured speakers they look more like 2ax's to me and early ones to boot. I would think a Marantz 2220 would drive them but with not any headroom. Your speakers being acoustic suspension really like power. I would look for a 2240 or 2245 and ideally a 2270 would be a very good match for early 2ax's. Here are my 2240 and two 2270's and they all drive my 2ax's and 5's really well. 4 ohm 3 and 3a's need more power yet.  Marantz 2270 were produced in mass and easy to find. One in good operating condition will fetch a premium because these are really sought after.

iTh4kb9.jpg

gorgeous receivers!~ Ill look for Marantz 2270, thanks!

Archived