I was finally able to aquire a second pair of Allison Sevens!

JamSessions

While the tweeters are original, unfortunately, the woofers are replacements... GW-8024 4ohms Glowwood Sounds, Inc. (See attached pic). Are these a good replacement choice? Are there other woofers I could use that are more preferred? They sound different than my original Allison Seven Woofers, but my originals need to be at least refoamed.

20170609_174147.jpg

The resistance is correct at 4ohm,

only you can decide if you like the sound.

I'm not sure I understand you. Are you saying you have the originals for this pair and they need restoration?

lf you've got originals in your possession it's a no brainer for me.... off they go to Miller sound!

Bill 

I don't think Goldwood speakers are real great--I could be wrong. Here are all the specs if you want to compare to the Allisons: https://www.parts-express.com/goldwood-gw-8024-8-butyl-surround-woofer-4-ohm--290-356 Most of the owner reviews say it's a good replacement for the JBL woofer in a Toyota Avalon so I'd say it's NOT the right woofer for your Allisons.

Bill (newandold) is right--if you have originals either refoam them yourself or send them to Bill LeGall at Millersound. But it occurs to me this may be an additional pair of Sevens. If that's the case I'd watch ebay for original Allison drivers.

-Kent

Yes, I am aware the resistance is correct at 4 ohms. Yes, This is an additional pair of Allison CD Sevens I recently acquired. I will keep my eyes open for original Allison Drivers... Thank you both, Bill and Kent. I sent Bill LeGall an email last week about refoaming my original woofers for my other Sevens, and am awaiting a response.

On 6/18/2017 at 8:44 AM, JamSessions said:

Yes, I am aware the resistance is correct at 4 ohms. Yes, This is an additional pair of Allison CD Sevens I recently acquired. I will keep my eyes open for original Allison Drivers... Thank you both, Bill and Kent. I sent Bill LeGall an email last week about refoaming my original woofers for my other Sevens, and am awaiting a response.

If you scroll down to the topic:

Allison Eight Inch Rebuilt Woofers

You can see what 8 inch Allisons look like after Bill Legall gets done.

Although the magnet assembly differs, the restoration work leaves the magnets untouched.

Regarding the age of the Seven woofers, it's a good idea to replace the spiders no matter what they look like. Compliance is very different from physical appearance (i.e. Sagging etc.) especially if you play at fairly loud levels or play source material with low end stuff involved.

Bill

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, JamSessions said:

Sure! Bill told me he replaced the coil and the cone and that it works and sounds great.

It would be wonderful if you could post pictures of the "new" tweeter.

Even Allison Acoustics offered replacement only without repair, regarding the tweeters.

Of course, creative solutions are needed these days with Allison long gone.

I have to wonder what voice coil Bill utilized to rebuild the tweet.

Delighted either way of course that it's working for you!

Bill

3 hours ago, JamSessions said:

Every pic I take of my repaired speakers is too large (over 178.12 megabytes) for me to upload to show you...

Oh sorry...no worries.

somewhere along your "photo path" you can save them as smaller images and send those....don't go crazy over that.

I had that problem when I posted the IC20 user manual last year.

Broke it down to individual pages in order to send.

Bill

Jam, go into you cameras setting and change whatever that particular camera identifies for resolution and image size.  Anything for web or screen use can be 72dpi which is probably one of the smaller settings and of course the image size only needs to be something like 400x600, maybe a little larger to be safe.

41 minutes ago, JamSessions said:

Hi, Bill. In my opinion the repaired tweeter is not as bright and crisp as my other tweeter.

Well, I am glad that at least, it is functioning while perhaps, you continue the search for a working original.

At the Natick Mass. plant, they had barrels for tweeters and midrange drivers that the rejects went into en route to disposal, if the final assembly did not test measure up to spec. 

Certainly I was hoping the results would have been better for you, but as soon as I saw the dome, I got worried. 

To this day, the Allison tweeter (and you lost the original guts) has never been duplicated.

Bill

Yes, but More importantly, what voice coil. As was indicated earlier, a new one was put in. The frequency response COULD be close, but Roy's were unique and the overall response would be highly unlikely to match.

I was Surprised actually......for years Miller sound would, on special request, do Some repairs on original Allison tweeters, if they could be salvaged, but I never heard of them going in there and replacing the voice coil with an alternate.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Archived