Found AR90s in a FREE pile near the road

trent2t

Finally happened....  no 'dumpster find' but close...  As I was walking to get a Sunday newspaper today I walked past a set a speakers and some other items in a pile with a "free" sign propped up against the speakers.  The speakers were a pair of AR90s complete with both front and side grills and all the acoustic foam insulation still in place and like new.  I called my wife to bring the truck (didn't want to leave this find alone!) and the 90s were quickly loaded and driven to my garage.  Inspection the speakers: physically the boxes are great with no nicks or missing wood, tops will have to be reworked.. no real  damage. The four woofer side speakers will need new surrounds,  the 8" front woofers have new surrounds (sloppy job with glue smeared half way down the cone).  The midranges look good with only one dome pushed in.  Tweeters look new...  I would rate these speakers condition 7-8 as is .. grills no major problems, both badges good condition, would need wood cleanup and re-staining on the top...  a light strip and a coat of Howard's would being the boxes back to life. I would assume the caps and wires are original.

Now I have to decide whether to keep and restore......restore and sell,  sell as is,  or part out..... ( I already have:   AR9, AR91, AR93 and AR94)   

P1010002.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010007.JPG

7 hours ago, trent2t said:

...Now I have to decide whether to keep and restore......restore and sell,  sell as is,  or part out..... ( I already have:   AR9, AR91, AR93 and AR94)

An amazing story!   Congratulations.   One is more likely to be struck by lightning than to find a pair of AR90's free for the taking along the side of the road.   Given your collection of AR verticals, it seems  that it would require tremendous fortitude to part with this recent acquisition.

Wow . . . congratulations!.  it doesn't get much better when it comes to curbside finds.  Been there (and it feels really good!), with a pair of AR-11s found curbside a few years back.  Just needed new woofer surrounds.

Archived