AR-LST

Tim

"Don't you like the poor lonely bachelor?" he yammered in a fatuous way.

"No, I don't! You don't care for me in the least. You're just practising on me."

"You're so mean! I'm terribly fond of you."

"I'm not of you. And I'm not going to let myself be fond of you, either."

Thanks guys for reminding me I should be spending more time catching up on my reading.

I would still like details on AR's black lacquer finish as I have a project in mind. Not sure I want to put out the effort to do ar-pro's automotive finish.

Roger

I think maybe we need to get some guys here a room?

From the photos, it appears that the finish was a satin, rather than a matte or gloss. It would almost certainly have been sprayed. Don't even think about trying to get this with a brush-on finish. You might be able to do it with a wipe-on, but it would require multiple coats with abrasive rubbings in between each.

2 hours ago, ra.ra said:

Roger and Gene are correct about the sheen of the black finished LST's. This post has some thoughts from the previous time this matter was discussed here.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/7855-lst-soft-black/

Nice review ... maybe I'll play around with some dye. These days I'm more into the "KISS" principle. These Japanese Urushi bamboo spoons look about right as far as sheen.

urushi.jpg

Large flat surfaces are not easy so it is nice to be able to correct mistakes and/or damage by blending rather than refinishing.

Roger

16 hours ago, ar_pro said:

I've just finished Tom Wolfe's new mini-book, as well as A Truck Full Of Money, Tracy Kidder's latest; enjoyed them both, quite a bit.

The black LST is very cool-looking; very modern.

I was quoting Sinclair Lewis ... hard to imagine, but I can't remember reading any of his books in English Lit ... seems appropriate for the times though :)

13 hours ago, genek said:

I lean toward the automotive finish...best done with a spray gun, but there are some that come in aerosol cans if your project isn't too big.

That may be the easiest choice. I have access to the equipment and even know a paint dealer.

Roger

6 hours ago, owlsplace said:

I was quoting Sinclair Lewis ... hard to imagine, but I can't remember reading any of his books in English Lit ... seems appropriate for the times though :)

That may be the easiest choice. I have access to the equipment and even know a paint dealer.

Roger

He wasn't on any of my reading lists, either, Roger. And I can recall only a single Hemingway and one Fitzgerald novel as an assignment. Maybe that's the reason that I enjoy American writers from that period so much - they were never associated with work! I did re-read Babbitt this summer, but the paperback didn't survive the wear & tear of the beach; I usually tend to hold onto books.

re: automotive paint; I'm pretty sure that my materials cost was under $100, and that was at retail. They mixed up a really pretty black with just the right amount of sheen. It cured hard as nails, too.

So what will you be painting?

On 10/10/2016 at 3:40 PM, ar_pro said:

He wasn't on any of my reading lists, either, Roger. And I can recall only a single Hemingway and one Fitzgerald novel as an assignment. Maybe that's the reason that I enjoy American writers from that period so much - they were never associated with work! I did re-read Babbitt this summer, but the paperback didn't survive the wear & tear of the beach; I usually tend to hold onto books.

re: automotive paint; I'm pretty sure that my materials cost was under $100, and that was at retail. They mixed up a really pretty black with just the right amount of sheen. It cured hard as nails, too.

So what will you be painting?

American "Sturm und Drang" ... read a lot of Steinbeck.

I have a pair of these that were badly abused -- over-sanded and painted with white latex:

They are slated for bi-amp'd HT use currently.

Roger

Archived