Solvent Question

lARrybody

Went to apply sealant to a pair of AR4X woofers today. When I dug out my Vintage AR  sealer jar, it seems like the remaining sealer has dried up a bit. I remember reading that it can be thinned a bit with Toluene. I don't have any Toluene handy, but do have Xylene and Acetone readily available. Can I use this, or is it off to the hardware store for some Toluene? Another question is how should unused sealer be stored. Should I keep it refrigerated. I am asking because I plan on ordering the larger batch for future projects.

Toluene ( Methylbenzene ) is difficult to find now days. Try a paint store or auto body shop. I paid $25 for a gallon and that's the only way it came. Reagent grades are available on eBay but cost $$$$.

Xylene (there are 3 types) and acetone can be bought at Home Depot but will not likely thin the base adhesive. Acetone has a flash point of zero F. Toluene will pull the fat right thru your skin and xylene just stinks bad. All are harmful to CNS, kidneys, lungs, blood.

That stuff was mixed up by RoyC, who said it is very nasty to work with. I suggest you PM him for advice.

-Kent

Both of these solvents are readily available in my local hardware stores in rectangular quart cans for under $10. I use the lacquer thinner often when cleaning up old drivers (i.e. removing old foam residues, etc.), and one of the components in the lacquer thinner is Toluene. I also use it to clean up cloth surrounds before re-coating with butyl solution, and I think I have even "thinned" the butyl sealer with a couple drops of lacquer thinner to get it to flow more easily if it feels too sticky.

I have a half-used small bottle of Roy's concoction that I bought four years ago and it still remains very useable. I believe he packaged this goo in more than one type of bottle, and perhaps the type of seal on the cap contributes to the degree of longevity.

(hey larry! .... I lived in the Hoosier state when I bought my first AR's (4x's) over forty years ago.)

http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/toluene

http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/lacquer-thinner

8 hours ago, larrybody said:

Went to apply sealant to a pair of AR4X woofers today. When I dug out my Vintage AR  sealer jar, it seems like the remaining sealer has dried up a bit. I remember reading that it can be thinned a bit with Toluene. I don't have any Toluene handy, but do have Xylene and Acetone readily available. Can I use this, or is it off to the hardware store for some Toluene? Another question is how should unused sealer be stored. Should I keep it refrigerated. I am asking because I plan on ordering the larger batch for future projects.

Toluene is the solvent used in the sealant and works best to thin or reconstitute it. Xylene is second best and will work for thinning, but I'm not sure about reconstituting it from a dried state. Vintage AR was using bottles with inadequate caps (relative to the solvent) for awhile, and found they were not good for longer term storage. (I believe his new bottles are better.) I use a number of different bottles, all of which are resistant to the toluene, and had some of my first batch in them for over two years without any issues.

You can contact me directly on any questions regarding the sealant.

Roy

This morning I spent an hour going thru and organizing my speaker parts both new and used. There was a small square unopened box from Vintage AR, and it hit me that I had ordered some black sealant for my KLH Model 5's and it was never used. Sealant still in great shape, except for the black had separated out. Sealed both 4X  woofers with a very light coating. The dust caps were left alone, because the 4X is a bit different. Upon inspection of the clear sealant it appears to be more of a jell than completely dried up. Will pick up some Toluene to reconstitute it. 

I want to thank DavidR, JKent, Ra.Ra, and RoyC for the information. Will spend the afternoon on rebuilding these crossovers. 

1 hour ago, DavidR said:

wear gloves, eye protection from splashes and have good ventilation AND no static or other ignition sources   :)

Just the usual precautions found on any solvent based material (glue, stain, varnish, paint, etc). Exposure issues are based on occupational studies not occasional contact. Pumping one tank of gasoline is likely to be more dangerous than coating a pair of woofers with sealant. :)

Roy

Pumping one tank of gasoline is likely to be more dangerous than coating a pair of woofers with sealant. :)

and that's why NJ is the best place to live. We don't pump no stinkin' gasoline!

OK, in all fairness, neither does Oregon.

-Kent

Archived