What Dynaco Equipment Do You Use?

jwjensen356

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sold my Dynaco gear years ago in a quest for something "better." But as described in this thread, http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=8166 , I recently bought an ST-120 to restore and play with.

As it turned out, I replaced virtually everything except the transformer so it's no longer a Dynaco. And although its 60wpc seems fine for driving my AR-3a's I'd rather have more oomph. I was using a MAC-4100 (100 wpc) for the past few years but recently switched to an Adcom GFA-555 II, which will deliver 325 watts into 4 ohms. BUT, I'd love a nice Dynaco 400 (especially one with the cool-looking meters!)

Kent

• 1 month later...

Update on the dynaco front for me. 2 new acquisitions. I picked up a PAT 5 to go with the St400. Then just the other day I was able to find a ST70 locally. Looks brand new. Was packed away in 1990 until I purchased it. My Pas 2 now has something to couple with.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine was the original post in this thread. At the time my original Dynaco preamp was:

"Preamp - Dynaco PAT-5 (BiFET version)"

About three years ago, it developed a buzz of sorts. Rather than mess around with it, I sent it all to AVA (Van Alstine) for a full upgrade. The only inside component remaining was the power transformer. The unit was completely gutted. All new components and boards were fitted Also, new RCA jacks were fitted with increased spacing (which allowed newer cables to be fitted without jamming)

It's great!

My whole system now cover the time span from the 60s to the 2010s

• 2 years later...

I have been posting on another one of the forums without realizing this was here.

After many different Dynaco acquisitions and disposals including the A25 and the later big box speaker ( can’t remember it’s nomenclature) as well as pas, Mk3’s, my only remaining Dynaco are a rebuilt PAT-4 and an ST-150, somewhat modded. Those are in relatively constant use as the ( currently ) main amplification of the workroom stereo.

My main stereo is:  A25, pair Mk III, factory wired PAT-4, KLH Eighteen tuner, NAD CD player, Thorens TD115 Mk II turntable.  The Thorens is being sold for an AR-XA (two motor).

One of the Mk IIIs was trashed picked, unused, still in the box, along with an unused PAM-1.  The A25s were trash picked, too.  They replaced a pair of AR-4x in the main system.

54 minutes ago, Lucky Pierre said:

My main stereo is:  A25, pair Mk III, factory wired PAT-4, KLH Eighteen tuner, NAD CD player, Thorens TD115 Mk II turntable.  The Thorens is being sold for an AR-XA (two motor).

One of the Mk IIIs was trashed picked, unused, still in the box, along with an unused PAM-1.  The A25s were trash picked, too.  They replaced a pair of AR-4x in the main system.

WOW! Lucky is right!

I never see any miracle finds by the roadside anymore.

Back in the mid 80's I found a pair of Heath W-6's in the trash while walking the dog.

( carrying them back while restraining the mutt was quite the feat )

Now Illinois has the no electronics in the trash law so all of it has to go to the recycler.

Being in Maynard, maybe someone will put out the mythical motherlode of missing merchandise from the HH Scott stash.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a set of 3 way dynaco speakers using the seas ( not the old ones like the A10 / A25 and not the Audax.)

Not sure but believe they are A30XL?

Level controls on mid and tweet. (Wire wound)

Looking for as much technical detail as possible.

Any help...much appreciated

(Going on pas3 and st70, with empire troubador and luxman tuner)

On 1/24/2022 at 8:06 PM, Attalloyd said:

I have a set of 3 way dynaco speakers using the seas ( not the old ones like the A10 / A25 and not the Audax.)

Not sure but believe they are A30XL?

Level controls on mid and tweet. (Wire wound)

Looking for as much technical detail as possible.

Any help...much appreciated

(Going on pas3 and st70, with empire troubador and luxman tuner)

Dynaco did make a handful of three-ways, but you're probably right about them being earlier production A30XLs before switching to the Polydax/Audax tweeter. Look like what you have?

A30xl2.png

a30xl1.png

• 11 months later...