• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/29/2023 at 5:17 PM, Norman Nicolai said:

Thank, Kent.

Now, on to the Model Twenty-One radio! 

The 33's look great, Norm!

Hey, I still have one of those radios living in the kitchen (attached photo). I rarely turn it on these days, but it is where it lives. :)

Roy

KLH Radio.JPG

On 7/30/2023 at 6:18 PM, jessiAV said:

Outside... just Wow!

Yeah--the Models Five and Thirty-Three are very similar looking speakers. I can imagine a surround system with Fives in front and Thirty-Threes in back. I'm sure you noticed that the Thirty-Threes look a lot like your OLAs. But the finishes on those have not aged well. They're not oil or lacquer. I'm guessing varnish. A real dog to strip off but WELL worth the effort as Norman's photos can attest to. Before they were dull and kinda orange. After, the walnut veneer is stunning. Good job! What did you use for a finish? I used Minwax Antique Oil on mine but I think lacquer, poly or Watco oil would also work well.

Edited by JKent

I refinished the 33’s the way I have refinished most of my KLH, EPI, and Advent speakers over the last few years:

1. Hand sanding, starting with 120 grit sandpaper, slowly progressing to 320 grit.

2. After sanding, using a tack cloth to remove surface grit and sanding residue, followed by cleaning with mineral spirits.

3. Watco Rejuvinating Oil applied by cloth, then rubbed off after about 10 minutes. (As per label instructions)

4. Multiple coats of Howard’s Feed-n-Wax. I think I learned about Feed-n-Wax from reading JKent on this site. I had never tried the Howard product and I used to use Johnson’s Paste Wax. The Feed-n-Wax definitely works better and gives a deeper luster and slightly warmer tone to the wood surface. My impression is that Feed-n-Wax works better on more porous surfaces. I think Johnson’s Paste Wax works better on completely sealed surfaces, like a polyurethane finish.