Mixing an AR-2 with an AR-2x?

Laika

I recently inherited what I was told were two AR-2 speakers, but it turns out one is an AR-2 (Serial B17373) and the other AR-2x (Serial X08776).  With some trepidation, I hooked them both up to my Rega Brio and played records through my Audio-Technica midrange turntable and they sound...fabulous.  

Couple of questions:

a) Is there any reason not to use these two speakers together (technically, I mean, rather than appearance-wise)?

b) If not, any hints on how to optimize them when played together?

Thank you for any insights and advice.

2 hours ago, Laika said:

I recently inherited what I was told were two AR-2 speakers, but it turns out one is an AR-2 (Serial B17373) and the other AR-2x (Serial X08776).  With some trepidation, I hooked them both up to my Rega Brio and played records through my Audio-Technica midrange turntable and they sound...fabulous.  

Couple of questions:

a) Is there any reason not to use these two speakers together (technically, I mean, rather than appearance-wise)?

Thank you for any insights and advice.

a) There is no technical reason not to use them together. Bass response should be nearly the same, but there will likely be some differences in the higher frequencies.

b) The only advice I can provide is to listen to them separately and use the level controls (assuming they are operating properly) on the rear of the cabinets to match them to your ear as closely as possible. The balance control and tone controls on your amp/receiver may be of use as well.

Roy

1 hour ago, Laika said:

The AR 2x is a bit later variation of the AR2.

The AR2 was designed to be placed in a shelf long side down.  The AR2x works equally well placed on either side.

Both units are 2 way with 10" woofers but the crossover frequency is very different, which means the speakers could be made to sound very different when using the rear tweeter attenuators. However if the old tweeter controls will allow you to set the tweeters at max output the speakers should sound almost the same or maybe even indistinguishable.

The tone controls of your amplifier would then be used to equally tailor sound adjustments to each speaker.

This is assuming your speakers are original and not internally altered.  One indication would be if the grills are still permanently attached with glue and staples.  If you can remove the grills then you should post photos of the fronts with grills off.  Also easily removed grills may mean they are not even AR on the inside.

Your AR2 probably has a cloth surround woofer which could be ok if you don't hear odd noises, but the 2x may have a foam surround woofer which by now would be very degraded, if all is original.  You should be careful with the volume control to avoid damage .

On 1/14/2023 at 11:38 PM, Martin said:

If you're located anywhere near Los Angeles, you can pick up a really nice, orphan AR2 from me to match your AR2 at a very reasonable price. 

Martin, alas I live on the other coast or I would take you up on it!  Thank you.  

On 1/14/2023 at 5:55 PM, Aadams said:

The AR 2x is a bit later variation of the AR2.

The AR2 was designed to be placed in a shelf long side down.  The AR2x works equally well placed on either side.

Both units are 2 way with 10" woofers but the crossover frequency is very different, which means the speakers could be made to sound very different when using the rear tweeter attenuators. However if the old tweeter controls will allow you to set the tweeters at max output the speakers should sound almost the same or maybe even indistinguishable.

The tone controls of your amplifier would then be used to equally tailor sound adjustments to each speaker.

This is assuming your speakers are original and not internally altered.  One indication would be if the grills are still permanently attached with glue and staples.  If you can remove the grills then you should post photos of the fronts with grills off.  Also easily removed grills may mean they are not even AR on the inside.

Your AR2 probably has a cloth surround woofer which could be ok if you don't hear odd noises, but the 2x may have a foam surround woofer which by now would be very degraded, if all is original.  You should be careful with the volume control to avoid damage .

OK, the grills are not removable, so they must be original. I tried the AR-2 on its side, and you are right that it made a big difference.  Overall these speaker have an incredibly warm sound that I love.  At the mid and high end they are not as precise as my Focal Chora 806s (which lack the AR warmth), and when I try to crank up the tweeters to max output, the sound becomes harsh.  I have put them back to the mid-point, and that seems to work best. 

On 1/14/2023 at 5:53 PM, RoyC said:

a) There is no technical reason not to use them together. Bass response should be nearly the same, but there will likely be some differences in the higher frequencies.

b) The only advice I can provide is to listen to them separately and use the level controls (assuming they are operating properly) on the rear of the cabinets to match them to your ear as closely as possible. The balance control and tone controls on your amp/receiver may be of use as well.

Roy

Roy - thanks again - see my response to Adams for a report out.

Thanks, everyone.  These speakers remind me of an old Mercedes.  The leather seats are buttery and so broken in they cradle your body even if they sag a bit. The suspension has seen better days, but it floats along on the road nonetheless, with an occasional rattle when you hit a rough patch of road.  It doesn't accelerate or turn like a modern car (much less an electric one), but nothing can beat it once it reaches cruising speed.  You feel like you could drive from Boston to LA with pleasure.