Anyone use tube preamp on AR9?

Shacky

I got rid of my Bob Latino ST120 tube amp after it arced 600vdc. Too close for comfort. I'm thinking it was a spider or cobweb on the pcb board; but that was enough. SS is easier. However, I still have my VTA SP12/PH14 Pre with some 'killer' NOS tubes and have used it with many speakers. I'm currently using it with a pair of MicroAcoustic FRMA-1 that I restored. Great match even with my 45wpc (80wpc 4ohm) A100 headphone amp.

I usually use a Ming Da MC-7R with AR91... perfect sound, but very great in clarity all low frequences, same in use with AR3a and AR LST.

Tubes top in preamp.: 2 x 12AX7 Telefunken, 2 x 12AU7 Philips, 1 x 5AR4 Mullard, makes greath upgraded!

I’m wondering what sort of budget is planned for the pre-amp. My past experience is from many years ago in 1974 to be exact  when I purchased my first high-power amp, a Phase Linear 400 and using my only pre-amp, a Dynaco PAS-3X it all sounded excellent with my AR-3a’s. That pre-amp was tube and it naturally emitted a fair amount of tube-hiss. Therefore it necessitated I roll back the treble controls a touch past the flat setting more than I already had positioned it. So, because of that, I then had to listen to music to a slightly less realistic degree because of that hiss I had to lose some high frequencies, not cool. I wasn’t able to tolerate the tube noise/hiss I was getting plus, I wanted to experience the ‘NEW’ transistor components that were newly being born in those days. Fast-forward to later that year and I purchased a Phase Linear 4000 pre-amp. Good-bye tube-hiss/noise and hello, quiet backgrounds additional aided by Phase Linear’s noise-reduction circuitry and I was set for years to come.

If you’re in the process of deciding which pre-amp to purchase, I’d keep in mind its specs and how it will perform with your input sources before buying. If you intend to regularly use vinyl which is a high-level source then, the quietest pre-amp you’re looking at is the one to consider. Reality sets in when such decisions of money versus performance are made so, do the research before taking the plunge.

FM

A little off-topic, but I'm using a Luxman LV-105u hybrid integrated amplifier to drive my 9's. This amp uses 2x6CG7 tubes in the amp (not pre-amp) section. These amps are kind of looked down on since they're from the BPC Alpine era of Luxman. But the amp delivers 170W into 4 ohms and has powered the 9's without any problem. I usually see these amps list for around $450. I think they're a good budget option if someone wants to power 9's and wants a touch of tube sound.

I use an original generation Schiit Audio Saga tube preamp.  Great features, with multiple inputs and outputs, switchable between tube, SS buffer, or passive outputs.  Relay switched volume control too.  Plus, I swapped the Wima coupling capacitors for Mundorf Evo Oils, bypassed with AudioCap Theta caps.  Oh, it uses a single 6SN7 tube.  Very musical, with a wide and deep soundstage.  All through AR58S speakers.

Saga+