Wanted: AR S1 speaker stands

DavidR

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of thoughts: Crutchfield and others sell the new KLH Model Five stands. Similar but I don't know about the dimensions. An Etsy seller will make stands to order. Search "Steel stand for speakers. Modern loft style". Also "Steel speaker stand custom set of two made HANDMADE Any size speaker".

Thanks Kent.

I got a price for the new KLH5 base from The Music Room ($175 each plus SH). They aren't a real good fit and they don't have the back brace but might work.

I have the dimensions for the S-1 and could probably find a local fabrication shop to make them. Its just missing the size of the square tubing and if they are filled with sand or steel shot.

StandARs1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

AR had the S-1 speaker stands fabricated from lightweight 1" square steel tubing. A few years back, I had a local steel fabrication shop make me a pair.  They didn't have 1" square tubing and substituted 1-1/8" structural square steel tubing (1/8" thick walls).   The 1-1/8" structural tubing is twice as heavy as the original tubing, but its appearance is nearly indistinguishable from the 1" square tubing.  Below is a picture of my outer AR-11's sitting on stands made with the 1-1/8" structural tubing and the center speaker sitting on the original AR S-1 speaker stands.  If you have a pair fabricated, make sure that the all the joints are fully welded and ground smooth.

1543466580_AR-11SpeakersStands.thumb.JPG.5648fd0abc2e70fd83d91daa8d68c9c2.JPG

My original AR S-1 stands are not filled with sand or steel shot.  I just checked & each S-1 frame weighs 4.5 pounds.  The fames that I had fabricated weigh 17 pounds each.  The S-1 frames don't seem to have any issue supporting an AR-11, but I feel better having the stouter frames support the main left & right speakers.  These heavy-weight frames can easily dampen anything the speaker can throw at them.  Also, I don't worry about someone bumping into the speaker next to the door.  My wife has, and she has the bruises to show it.  The speaker & frame barely moved.

If you go with thick wall tubing (12 gauge or more), I don't see a need to fill them with sand or shot.

Correction:  My fabricated frames are made from 1/8" thick x 1.25" x 1.25" square tubing. 

Still can't tell the difference between the 2 frames unless you get up close.  The main difference is that the S-1 frames have nearly square corners, whereas the fabricated tubes have slightly rounded corners.

• 2 weeks later...

Just letting you know that there is a pair of AR S-1 stands bidding on eBay.  The bidding has already reached $213.50 + $55 shipping, which is way too high in my opinion.  I got mine customed fabricated for $150.  That price included repainting my existing stands. 

DavidR, sorry I couldn't be of more help, I didn't look at the other posts, I simply jumped into a search.

You can imagine the difficult time I had finding stands to hold up the weight of double LST's for each side.

I was lucky to locate a vendor on the bay and I bought a few sets of different heights of the same design but, that was back in the early 2000's.

They're not perfect and don't offer any lip or edge they rest against but, I relied upon the actual weight of the speakers at 90lbs. each to keep them in place.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest doing a search for JBL or any other name that might have similar measurements. I'll keep you in mind as I surf.

"Kent's" recommendations pretty much sum it all up. It can be a daunting search, I know, I've done it numerous times through out the years. Height considerations are paramount.

Good luck.

Worth a look:  https://www.etsy.com/listing/800009815/custom-bespoke-made-upon-order-speaker

FM

Great link Frank. I will look into some that I see. Shipping will probably be a killer.

I found Larry's JBL stands on Music Direct. $330/pr. Look very nice and they'll work. $351 tax and shipping.

I'm also going to try my local fab shop I found. No shipping involved.