AR2x new acquired...another one...

Giorgio AR

On 2/11/2022 at 1:52 PM, Giorgio AR said:

How are your AR2a? Mine are the adored together with the AR3a!

Well to be honest in the same state as when I got them , none of the mids are working and AR parts are non existent here in the UK , new pots from the US are going to cost as much as I paid for the speakers , and as for re veneering  ......reckon I may just break them down for parts 

The 2ax's are coming on fine , I am going to refoam and not repair but cant even get the surrounds here , coming from Holland 

Do these look like theyre wired correctly , no wires coming from central B connectors ? 

51879561696_a502648104_h.jpg

11 hours ago, reza said:

Well to be honest in the same state as when I got them , none of the mids are working and AR parts are non existent here in the UK , new pots from the US are going to cost as much as I paid for the speakers , and as for re veneering  ......reckon I may just break them down for parts 

The 2ax's are coming on fine , I am going to refoam and not repair but cant even get the surrounds here , coming from Holland 

Do these look like theyre wired correctly , no wires coming from central B connectors ? 

51879561696_a502648104_h.jpg

It looks like the yellow wires were moved to take the pots out of the circuit. Some do this because the pots are not working and they do not want to clean or replace the pots. Does it look like the center terminals were previously soldered? 

Check out the second post in this thread to see a schematic. Yours have two separate caps instead of the two-in-one-enclosure shown in the schematic.

See also the third post in this thread:

12 hours ago, reza said:

Well to be honest in the same state as when I got them

Good morning Reza, I too had many problems (and additional expenses) to make my AR2a efficient, when purchased there was a rattle from the woofer (unglued the upper masonite, the one that goes under the fabric surround), glued the masonite with disappearance of the problem, a dual midrange had both coils interrupted (purchased 2 pairs of dual mid's) and clearly the Pots full of oxide and not working ... now the mid's are finally arriving with the brown cone card to complete the correct aesthetics of my AR2a ... since I got them 10 years have passed, but my AR2a have been playing for a long time, and their sound (they are not AR3a) accompanies me practically every day, they are the speakers I listen to more and I'm satisfied with it.
The weather doesn't matter, but your AR2a deserve to get back in shape and will give you tremendous satisfaction when they are back in shape.
I also own a couple of later AR2ax, but to my ears the AR2a sound much better, they are almost a "magic" ... try to test all the components of your AR2a, once in place they will give you a lot of satisfaction and great sound for years .

Giorgio

6 hours ago, RTally said:

It looks like the yellow wires were moved to take the pots out of the circuit. Some do this because the pots are not working and they do not want to clean or replace the pots. Does it look like the center terminals were previously soldered? 

Check out the second post in this thread to see a schematic. Yours have two separate caps instead of the two-in-one-enclosure shown in the schematic

Yes been looking at those carefully , understand about my caps not being enclosed but confused as those schematics are not same, showing different colour wires going to mid and high ? and yes  it look like the center terminals were previously soldered,  if so will that leave the pots on max/high ?  I'll take some better pics if I can

51881551649_89637feaf9_h.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2022 at 1:58 PM, Aadams said:

Agree with Giorgio.  You will wait a long time to find a better unmolested pair.  At 130 BP = 175 US the price is very reasonable.

Just not the love for AR's here in the UK ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acoustic-Research-AR-2ax-Speakers-Pair-Tested-amp-Working-Collection-Only-/224882830865?hash=item345c0fae11%3Ag%3A-uUAAOSwwOJiLNib&nma=true&si=dPjymqUyxLBWLgDCSHA3hL0X69U%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Ive just picked up yet another pair , early 2AX's for not much more money , bit of a way to go to catch up with Giorgio though :)

pics soon

so picked up what I though were early 2ax's , primarily because I prefer US cabinets, but to me the tweeters are the same as late 2ax's so are they US late 2ax's ?

52018087916_3ef5cf131e_h.jpg

more refoaming , I know 

and they came with these lovely (not) orangey brown grille covers 

52017050957_a01641b71c_h.jpg

They look very nice, the cabinets also in good condition.
A minimum of restoration with replacement of foam, capacitors and cleaning of the Pots and you will have a splendid pair of AR2ax ... also my pair of AR2ax has the grilles with the brown fabric, original and optional variation of the time.

Calmly you will find the original metallic labels to complete the aesthetics of the AR2ax pair

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I swapped the Euro 2AX's woofers, the ones in the lower photo above, into the  US cabinets and then tried the top ones in the Euro cabinets,  and either way the lower larger magnet ones  sound better than the other woofers , more bass more presence far better ? 

fwiw I refoamed both pairs