What are a pair of AR 1's worth these days?

postman56

I've got a sweet pair of AR3a's I've always loved but was curious about the AR1's and was wondering what a pair of these are worth these days, and if there is anything I should look out for.

I can buy a pair that is consecutive numbers in cherry but there isn't much info on eveluation.

Any insight, please let me know

Thanks

Resized_20200216_152306_7203.JPEG

1 hour ago, postman56 said:

I can buy a pair that is consecutive numbers in cherry but there isn't much info on eveluation.

Whenever someone mentions consecutive numbers in reference to Classic AR speakers it immediately triggers skepticism; Not impossible but highly improbable. The speakers were never built in pairs and consecutive serial numbers are not considered important in the AR world in general but could be of value to you.  All that matters is the drivers and crossovers are correct for an AR1.  

If the joinery and hole cuts are identical then they might be consecutive serials but more likely they were built with the same tooling.

If the cabinets are not identical then they are 99.9% not consecutive. 

Even if the cabs are modern copies all that matters is the drivers and crossovers are correct.  Consecutive serials mean nothing to a careful AR buyer.

Do you have better images of front and back?

Adams

There are two pairs of AR-1 systems currently listed on eBay for six and eight thousand dollars, which is intriguing. The most recently completed sales of individual AR-1 speakers show $1624 and $2550.

Adams is 100% right, consecutive numbers mean little - it's all about being in unmolested, original condition, with emphasis on the Altec driver, and the cabinet finish.

22 hours ago, postman56 said:

I've got a sweet pair of AR3a's I've always loved but was curious about the AR1's and was wondering what a pair of these are worth these days, and if there is anything I should look out for.

If the AR-1's are being offered at an attractive price, you might want to give them a try, but what your likely to find is that you much prefer your 3a's. The Altec 755a tops out at around 13kHz and has narrow dispersion, whereas the 3a's extend up 20kHz with broad dispersion. 

The cherry cabinets are rare in an AR-1, if you're looking to add to your collection.

Personally I can't understand why AR-1 systems compands such a high price. As "J" points out the AR3a is superior, certainly above the mid crossover point. I have seen comments that people are looking pirate the 755a driver to use with their single ended, direct heated class A tube amp.    

There are also few sets  of AR1 on Ebay for a substantial amount of dollars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185061843278?hash=item2b168ba14e:g:LCkAAOSwXRhhSOeF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333285933994?hash=item4d9963c3aa:g:DaMAAOSwVXZdRH3D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203530500722?hash=item2f635cfa72:g:CgsAAOSwwWRg9kYz

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324437069657?hash=item4b89f4cf59:g:A8IAAOSw~t5ehePv

• 2 weeks later...

I get fine, the best, sounding setup... I love AR speakers I really do but after $500.00 to $700.00 a piece I start to loose sight of value for the dollar. I'm a guitar player and I can tell you there is a group of players that think having an older guitar (1950-1959) is totally cool, it's an Elitist thing; actually early Fender Stratocasters are said to be harder to play, I donno, I never held one, but why would I want some thing harder to play? I like my guitars in pristine shape, guitars that are beat up indicate a lack of respect for feelings, messages the instrument can be used to express. Although I get that those that play for a living treat their guitars like a carpenter treats a hammer. Clapton hasn't showed up on a stage with a beat up guitar in years and years, sure he has them that you can believe. I would buy a Model A  or model T Ford because they are part of our history, but certainly NOT because they are better than what's available now.  AR isn't the only company that built or builds great speakers, Coral comes to mind in my very limited experience. When I bout my AR 17 back in '78 in Hawaii I had been listening to the top of the line Coral speakers, those AR 17 were damn impressive! Those Coral speakers were pretty impressive; 7 speaker, 6 way better be impressive right? So as much as I love good audio there's a limit. I bought some Klipsch towers at the base exchange at Bangor Sub Base; I have no idea what model that are off the top of my head, I'd have to look. They have on-board amplifiers for sub woofers(which I don't care for) but because of the  way they are set up they  sound GREAT to me; anyways I get lots of compliments on them, they are 36 " to 40" or so tall, narrow. FIFTY dollars each, FIFTY. Great sound does not have to cost a lot of money. I bought those in 2002 or 2003. I bought them in the box without an audition. I had heard a guy's Klipsch speakers back at the dorms at Hickam, they were like a washer and dryer in size, he had a DBX hooked up, man those babies were sweet! They cost a whole lot more than the $95.00 I paid for my model 17, but I was and am still mystified at the great sound for size, cost and internals that the AR 17 gives.

I have a pair of model AR 5s. I bought them because they are very classic, I mean classic to me a 60 something old post hippy, post Vietnam 20 year USAF vet. I knew nothing about their specs or reputation when I bought them but I knew at $200.00 a pair I couldn't go wrong.

My AR 17, I know they are "Vintage, classic" but not to me, hell I was there when they were purchased and I was the purchaser, I'm sure you all know what I'm sayin'. Just cause it's old don't mean it's better than a Later model; it just might be cooler though and I get cooler. So what is some thing worth? When it comes down to it anything is worth what some one is willing to pay for it. I just scored a 20001-1 AR 17 woofer. With shipping it came to $100.00, $5.00 more than I paid for one of my ARs back in the day but 5 bucks bought a lot more in 1978 than today. I'll find another one sooner or later and I'll have 2 of them and that will make my 17 correct. Maybe I'll sell the other woofers to one of you guys to help you realize your Acoustic reseach dream pair!