$2,000 KLH Model Fives

JKent

https://www.avsforum.com/klh-model-5-speaker-unveiled/

So the new KLH really seems to be trying to revive the brand and stay true to its roots. Think $2K/pair is steep? The original MSRP was $180 per speaker. So $360/pr. Adjusted for inflation that's nearly $3.000 in 2020 dollars so, a bargain!

Here's the company website https://klhaudio.com/tower-floor-standing-speakers/  The Fives are not posted there yet but they are also resurrecting the legendary Nines! ($12,500).  I wonder what KLHAudio's relationship with JansZenAudio is. As KLH fans know the original Model Nine was really a KLH branded JansZen product and JansZen still services and modifies them. I saw a pair for sale in my area for a tenth of the current MSRP but sadly have no room for them. 

JansZen's current line looks really beautiful: https://janszenaudio.com/collections/all

And, not speakers exactly but the new KLH Ultimate One headphones look really cool--sort of like high-end Grados. edit: Sadly, they may just be re-branded SIVGA SV007 'phones for 3x the price. Oh well.

Thanks for posting this, JKENT. I've only heard the original Model 5's once and was not that impressed. I'm more partial to the sound of my restored Model 6's. Having said that, I'm not sure that hearing a speaker only once is a fair. So much depends on the listening room, the electronics driving the speaker, and the music itself. 

Nevertheless, I would still love to hear the new Model 5's, as well as the old Model 5's in a different listening environment. I'm also really pleased to hear that someone is committed to bringing the KLH brand back to what it once was.

1 hour ago, Norman Nicolai said:

I've only heard the original Model 5's once and was not that impressed.

Neither was I at first but after re-capping and re-sealing the surrounds with Roy's goo they were great.

This isn't the first attempt to re-create classic KLH speakers. When Henry Kloss was at Cambridge Soundworks they released a Model Six and a Model Seventeen that I believe were supposed to be modern versions of the corresponding KLH models. Have you ever heard the CSW Six?

Interesting that you should mention Roy's goo in relation to the Model 5. When I first heard the Model 5's, only about 5 months ago, I recommended Roy's goo to the owner of the speakers. He purchased a jar, but I've yet to hear back from him regarding the results. I should visit him to get another listen.

I was not aware of the Cambridge Sound Works Model 6. Something new to research online. It's not like I don't have the spare time to investigate new things since I have been at home constantly the last 3 weeks! I look at eBay, Craigslist, and Estatesales.net every day looking for new speaker projects. But I haven't been out of the house to pursue anything for a while.

Thanks, and stay safe JKent.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to resurrect this stream in order to find out if anyone has yet heard the new KLH Model 5 speakers?

I’ve read and seen positive reviews online but I’m wondering if anyone with “Classic Speaker Pages” ears has listened to them first hand?

A couple of reviews:

I’ve called a number of audio stores that normally stock the KLH brand. None of them have the Model 5. I think it’s going to be hard to find.

I remember listening to 5s in the 70s when I was speaker shopping. By then my list had narrowed to the KLH5 and 6 and the AR-3a and 2ax. I thought the 5 sounded bass-heavy, with mid and high end performance not up to that of the 3a, which was a shame because the 3a turned out to be way more than I could afford (for both the speakers and the amp they'd require). So that cut the list to the 6 and the 2ax, and I ultimately chose the 2ax. 

I notice that the new 5 has a 10" woofer instead of 12" and the same 42-20k response range as the 2ax, so this might turn out the be the 5 KLH should have made 50 years ago. :)

The "list price" for my 2ax's was $165 each; I paid $115. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any hifi discounters anymore. A pair of these new KLH 5s for $1400 might have been tempting. 🙁

I ordered a pair today.  Was able to add to cart and checkout.  The order still shows pending with AMEX.  Did not order the optional stonewash linen grills.  From what I can tell, the standard grills look pretty darn nice.  If not, then I can order the stonewash grills.  I can't remember the last time I was this excited ordering stereo gear!