AR-3 using AR-3a cabinet?

zelgy1

Hi all, 

I purchased a pair of AR-3's and their is a gap in the serial numbers.  I noticed that one unit has the plastic grill that slides into the grooves within the cabinet.  However, the 2nd unit has a particle board type grill material and the speaker cabinet lacks the groove found on the other.  I'm wondering if the AR factory ever utilized the AR-3a cabinet for AR-3 builds at any point?  The speakers and crossovers all seem to match, only the enclosure being different. I look forward to any feedback.

2 minutes ago, lARrybody said:

Are both cabinets the same size? The height and width should be the same. The 3 cabinet should be 11 in, deep and the 3a cabinet closer to 11 3/8 in. deep.

The cabinets have the exact same dimensions.

7 hours ago, zelgy1 said:

I'm wondering if the AR factory ever utilized the AR-3a cabinet for AR-3 builds at any point?  The speakers and crossovers all seem to match, only the enclosure being different. I look forward to any feedback.

zelgy1,

As time went on the AR-3 shared a number of components with the 3a, including cabinets. Later 3's were equipped with the AR-3a mid, and, later still, the 3a foam surround/ferrite magnet woofer (just before the end of AR-3 production). It is also not unusual to find complete 3a's housed in AR-3 cabinets, as AR offered a 3 to 3a factory conversion. The 3 and 3a never shared the same crossover.

Roy

On 12/2/2019 at 10:55 PM, RoyC said:

zelgy1,

As time went on the AR-3 shared a number of components with the 3a, including cabinets. Later 3's were equipped with the AR-3a mid, and, later still, the 3a foam surround/ferrite magnet woofer (just before the end of AR-3 production). It is also not unusual to find complete 3a's housed in AR-3 cabinets, as AR offered a 3 to 3a factory conversion. The 3 and 3a never shared the same crossover.

Roy

Good information. I was always under the impression, no 3 had foam surround woofers.