AR1 question

MarkG2019

I have a pair of working vintage AR1 speakers that I need to sell because we are moving.  I have seen some of these type speakers going for a lot of money on eBay.  They are in fairly good condition with intact grill clothes and a few stains on the cabinets. What are these worth and should I bother refinishing them or leave them in original condition?

Depending upon condition, a single AR-1 might sell for $1,000 to $2,000 on eBay, with the value relying heavily upon originality (no replacement or modification of anything) and the physical & operational state of the Altec upper range driver.  An excellent working condition pair in mahogany recently sold for $5400.

There is really nothing that you could do to your speakers to enhance their value; they are what they are, and you could negatively affect their potential selling price by changing them in any way. 

Getting top dollar for the AR-1 can be demanding -  people who pay for these speakers know exactly what they are, and what to look for. A thorough, accurate description is important. You'll need to take lots of photographs that clearly show the condition, and be willing to properly prepare the speakers for shipping. Handing off to a "professional" like the UPS Store is not adequate - you'll need to do it absolutely right, and document everything or prepare for the possibility of an eBay "not as advertised" complaint from the bidder.

Good luck! ^_^

Interesting, those AR-1 systems. My question is "why"? Why are AR-1 systems worth so much? Is it the novelty of the fact they are the first of the "new" generation of speakers? Certainly by today's standards they are inadequate in the upper ranges. If I was inclined to spend 3 to 4 thousand dollars on a vintage AR system it would be the LST or a truck load of AR3a systems which are a better system by all standards above 575 hz. Below that there isn't any real difference, sound wise. Just as a benchmark here my uncle passed away in 2015. He had a huge collection of audio and electronics related items that went through an estate auction. Someone on these pages bought a single AR-1 at a radio swap meet for I believe was around 50 bucks. His story was the seller at the swap meet said it had come from my uncles (Ben H Tongue of Blonder Tongue Labs) estate. Also, somewhere in his home was the Jantzen 4 element ESL tweeter array. He told me decades ago the AR1/Jantzen array was THE system to own and was considered the ultimate system of the time. I think I saw the tweeter array in one of the photos. Someone missed out!

6 hours ago, teknofossil said:

My question is "why"? Why are AR-1 systems worth so much?

It's the Altec 755A. I've never heard them but my understanding is they are vastly overrated and insanely over-priced. Audiophiles in Asia are especially fond of them.

Tom Tyson answered the question here: 

I was wondering how the 8" Dayton full ranges would be. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ps220-8-8-point-source-full-range-neo-driver--295-346?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2ITuBRDkARIsAMK9Q7Mt6U3spv6JCqCR-geVkYvIN-g38UhGG2P2wKmDWAqCcQZSrHcp3DwaAi5QEALw_wcB   It would need level reduction  and a proper crossover to properly mate with the AR woofer. Also, I see that Steve at Decware created some sort of a transformer based correction device  mated with the previously mentioned Dayton that according to his posted details correct the response of the driver dramatically.  https://www.decware.com/newsite/FRX.html

I think not......

-Tom

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:52 AM, teknofossil said:

Someone on these pages bought a single AR-1 at a radio swap meet for I believe was around 50 bucks. His story was the seller at the swap meet said it had come from my uncles (Ben H Tongue of Blonder Tongue Labs) estate. Also, somewhere in his home was the Jantzen 4 element ESL tweeter array. He told me decades ago the AR1/Jantzen array was THE system to own and was considered the ultimate system of the time. I think I saw the tweeter array in one of the photos. Someone missed out!

teknofossil,

I'm the someone that bought that speaker but it's not an AR-1, it's a 1W. All it needs is a 3T, but I'm not holding my breath.