AR-9

wsill

Hello everyone. I'm looking at some AR-9's.

Could someone give me feedback on these?

Such as correct drivers and re-foams?

Do I need serial numbers to date them?

Thanks,

Bill

AR9 -2.jpg

AR9 -4.jpg

Edited by wsill
Stale pictures

They look good to me. How do the grills look? Are the badges black rectangles that say AR9 or just silver AR emblems?  The grill sockets are recessed in the cabinets like mine. If you get them you won't be disappointed.   Remember that they like a lot of clean power, at least 200 watts per channel.

OK I got my AR'9s late last week, listened for 2 days, then had to travel this past week. Back home now.

They exceed my expectations. Very tight/deep bass; they are better in this regard than the Wilson Sasha's I had up till 1 year ago. No always present midbass hump.

AR9's are very picky about placement, I now have them about 2 to 3" away from back wall, 4 1/2 feet from side wall.

Bi-wirring makes quite a noticeable difference. I am using a Levinson #23 AMP. The AR9's take everything that amp can give.

The former owner did not use too much and did a great job with new surrounds on the 12" woofers and 8" mid bass.

I am using my AR9's with the Upper Midrange switch at -3db.

The input connectors are cruddy, but I have not wanted to open up yet. 

The only work now I am going to do is:

1) Take off the chromed surround on the Woofer Grill frames. Ugly.

2) Replace the Grill cloth all the way around. I have plastic grill cloth frames.

Question: I see on the midrange dome there is Velcro  but not felt pad insert. Was this an optional piece that some use/used ?

Are mine just missing? I believe I need a pad surround on the midrange. Anyone build their own or source from somewhere?

So far all is good; I'll have more in the very near future.

Thanks all for your comments so far and this wonderful discussion forum.

Here are some pictures.

20190913_110317_01.JPG

20190913_110347_01.JPG

20190913_110414_01.JPG

20190913_110427_01.JPG

I think the foam inserts became an option after a while. I've never seen any 9's with them and that includes my 2 pair.

Very normal to have to put the UMR at -3dB. It's also dependent on amp/preamp combo you are using.

I like the chrome on the woofer covers but to each his own.

Parts Express sells a set of 5-way binding posts that has the same screw size and length for $10 per 4pk.

https://www.parts-express.com/mini-gold-plated-insulated-5-way-binding-post-banana-jack-set-2-red-2-black--320-3375

I bought my AR9s new and they had foam inserts.  However, over the years, the foam deteriorated and literally crumbled into pieces.  I don't believe they made much of a difference in the sound.

I see my tweeter has a foam ring attached by Velcro.

I'm going to search around, see if I can make something for the mid dome, see what the effect may/may not be.

These 9's are sensitive to everything, equipment, positioning, cables; I;m enjoying them every night allot.

I took the chrome plated surround off on the woofer grills the speakers look much better.

If anyone has built or know where to source some dense foam or felt let me know. I'd like to have some of that padding to work with that the Wilson's have on the front.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 1:13 PM, wsill said:

OK I got my AR'9s late last week, listened for 2 days, then had to travel this past week. Back home now.

They exceed my expectations. Very tight/deep bass; they are better in this regard than the Wilson Sasha's I had up till 1 year ago. No always present midbass hump.

AR9's are very picky about placement, I now have them about 2 to 3" away from back wall, 4 1/2 feet from side wall.

Bi-wirring makes quite a noticeable difference. I am using a Levinson #23 AMP. The AR9's take everything that amp can give.

btw, I didn't see any mention that you got the manuals for the 9's.

I scanned (high resolution) the manuals and other stuff I have  (AR9 related, and also other AR speakers reviews and info), and put them on my website.

You can see them here:  https://archive.mgm51.com/library/AcousticResearch/index.html

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2019 at 6:02 PM, wsill said:

If anyone has built or know where to source some dense foam or felt let me know. I'd like to have some of that padding to work with that the Wilson's have on the front.

In case you're still looking, I found something close:

On 3/11/2022 at 5:41 PM, bjmsam said:

For the acoustic blanket I used 1/2" thick F26N wool felt with adhesive backing, which seems like a very good alternative (more here).

It's available in different thicknesses.