Crossover reccomendation

agdrago

I have a pair of OLA that are missing their woofers, but have functioning fried egg masonite tweeters dated circa 1972. I would like to buy the Simply Speakers model ADV-P001-31858 woofers and drop them in. I assume someone, several, perhaps many people in this forum have done this and even gone as far as to experiment with the crossover design. 

My questions are: 

1. What is a recommended crossover design for the speakers I described? 

2. Should I be patient and instead track down a pair of original Masonite woofers and go with one of the documented original crossover designs, or a variation documented in some of the forum posts?

My goal is to have speakers that are good sounding and reasonably true to the original sound - (same or 'better') than the 'original'.

Were I in your situation, I would use original Advent woofers, either the Masonite ring or the steel frame version. This is because the Advent woofer cone/voice coil assembly's were made by Advent in-house and is one reason why OLA's sounded like they did. We are fortunate that these woofers are still available on the used market and are typically quite durable unless abused.

However, please note that while I am familiar with the sound of both Masonite (I currently own two pairs of OLA's) and metal woofer Advents, I have never auditioned the Simply Speakers version.

Just my opinion, of course..

I've never heard the Simply Speakers recreation woofers, but they are allegedly built to be as close to the steel basket originals as they could get them.  Unless someone has some tested parameters of these vs. the originals, I think the original crossovers would be the baseline you should start with - but recapped, of course.

I'm fairly sure that Carl (RIP) tested them and they the most important parameter Fc

in system was way off.  Get OLA or NLA woofers from ebay.

1 hour ago, Pete B said:

I'm fairly sure that Carl (RIP) tested them and they the most important parameter Fc

in system was way off.  Get OLA or NLA woofers from ebay.

Agreed...I've had the opportunity to try both the 12" AR and Large Advent woofer replacements. These are wholesaled by AB Tech (or CB Tech, or whatever its called these days) and retailed by Simply Speakers, "Vintage AR", and others. They are significantly less compliant. Their best attribute is they fit the cabinet holes.

Roy

• 1 month later...

He was a member of CAS here in CT and he didn't tell anyone about his long battle with the illness.

He is certainly missed.