AR-3A amplification at lower volume and bass - closed

frankmarsi

• 2 months later...

That's so wrong.

It defies all basics of proper bass radiation and sound, it creates a boomy and muddy bass quality rendering inaccurate bass.

It's elementary and basic knowledge, and such a basic principal necessary for correct and proper set-up and listening to elevate speakers off floors.

Anyone else defending such practices of placing book shelve speakers on floors will be equally incorrect.

It was one of the first things I learned over four decades ago. As I've been doing this for over 45 years, no one I've known who knows about acoustics has ever had their speakers on the floor unless they were made to be on the floor.

You're joking right, this is a weird test of some sort?

I told you the front door was left open on this site a few years ago.

Owning AR speakers does not give license to anything else.

Do we jump off the bridge now or later?

This line of conversation is beneath me and all of the years of learning what is correct and proper listening practices in the field of high-fidelity.

Shame!

1 hour ago, frankmarsi said:

That's so wrong.

It defies all basics of proper bass radiation and sound, it creates a boomy and muddy bass quality rendering inaccurate bass.

It's elementary and basic knowledge, and such a basic principal necessary for correct and proper set-up and listening to elevate speakers off floors.

Anyone else defending such practices of placing book shelve speakers on floors will be equally incorrect.

It was one of the first things I learned over four decades ago. As I've been doing this for over 45 years, no one I've known who knows about acoustics has ever had their speakers on the floor unless they were made to be on the floor.

You're joking right, this is a weird test of some sort?

Well, I suppose you know better what sounds best in my house than I do.

Sorry to disagree with you.

15 hours ago, GD70 said:

Well, I suppose you know better what sounds best in my house than I do.

Sorry to disagree with you.

Well, I agree with you, GD.

In small to mid-sized rooms, you'll get some 'room gain' that coupled with the shallower roll-off slope, will get you a low frequency bass extension.  When you elevate, you give away that room gain and will never hear those lowest notes due to the roll-off in frequency response.  In short, elevation results in a low end response almost identical to the speaker's quasi-anechoic frequency response.

Regards,

Jerry 

56 minutes ago, onplane said:

Well, I agree with you, GD.

In small to mid-sized rooms, you'll get some 'room gain' that coupled with the shallower roll-off slope, will get you a low frequency bass extension.  When you elevate, you give away that room gain and will never hear those lowest notes due to the roll-off in frequency response.  In short, elevation results in a low end response almost identical to the speaker's quasi-anechoic frequency response.

Regards,

Jerry 

Hey Jerry,

My 3's are in our family room, 18 X 22 with 12 vaulted ceilings. They are about 18 feet apart. I had the 3's on the floor, then on stands, and back on the floor, where they sound much better.

I agree with your assessment, coupling with the rooms floor. I've read this before and totally agree, and the bass is deep and rich, not bloated, flabby or boomy.

Cheers, Glenn

For some, I think reading about room acoustics and stereo imaging for realistic sound is in order here. Typically, the speakers should be on the short wall and certainly not 18 feet apart as that is fundamentally incorrect.  For proper stereo imaging speakers should be 8 feet apart and on stands. This is no doubt why you’re not getting proper bass response.
There’s no bending of the rules that have been in practice since ‘stereo’ began!

To fully appreciate AR speakers, they must be set-up properly. Anything less, is just throwing some wires at some speakers.
FM

I've had my AR3a's in a variety of rooms over the past 48 years that I've owned them. I've always had them on stands. Much of the placement in the various rooms that I've had them in had a lot to do with the rooms themselves. Currently they reside about 9 feet apart on the long side of my room. It's the best I can do and they sound very good. They are as flush as I can manage to the wall and not angled at all. The one thing I always avoid is placing either of them near a corner.  Imaging is great with my current setup and I would never presume to instruct anyone on how to setup their listening space. With the one exception of trying to keep a speaker from a corner.

der

11 minutes ago, frankmarsi said:

""This""  ??  Eloquent.

I was on youtube today and saw the calamity.

Here, enjoy. 

5a84ae641d55b_3-27-14workBESTBESTlarger5copycopy2.thumb.jpg.cf492ac1d16fc1c021da1eb9f41ac330.jpg

You like playing who's got more stuff don't you? You love being critical of others who are enjoying their gear, in their own way. Speaks volumes. You're the only one I've encountered on this otherwise very civil forum that goes on endlessly about how much more you have and how much more you know then everyone else. The narcissism you display is comparable to a certain public individual known to all. 

5 hours ago, samberger0357 said:

You like playing who's got more stuff don't you? You love being critical of others who are enjoying their gear, in their own way. Speaks volumes. You're the only one I've encountered on this otherwise very civil forum that goes on endlessly about how much more you have and how much more you know then everyone else. The narcissism you display is comparable to a certain public individual known to all. 

Is this a personal attack?

Darn-it, it sure feels like one!

Archived