Just purchased a pair of AR-2AX - So Excited !

thornev

Hi All.  I just joined the group because I just purchased a pair of AR-2ax' (see attachment).  They will be hooked up to a Fisher 500-C that I am restoring. I am expecting stereo heaven !  These are the stereo components with which I grew up and that my parents owned (not the very same units they owned).  I've been a solid state listener for so long.  When I got back into tubes with my Little Dot MK III headphone amp, I was reminded how wonderful tube components sound. And this Fisher 500-C... OMG !!!

Anyway, my name is Thorne and I'm glad to be here among my fellow AR and vintage stereo component lovers. I shall enjoy reading everyone's experiences.  My 2ax's are supposed to be original and working perfectly, but if any restoration is needed, I believe I'm in the right place.  Rock n Roll !   Thorne

s-l1600.jpg

Welcome Thorne

Those are very nice early 2ax's (they look like 2a's but I'm sure you checked). I like the cast aluminum/cloth surround woofers.

Since you're restoring an amp you clearly know your way around electronics. Things to be aware of with those speakers are the pots--often corroded, and the capacitors. The 2a had big oil-filled caps that don't generally go bad but the 2ax's I believe all had wax block caps (I had an early pair like yours and they had the wax blocks).

Finally, th woofer surrounds "may" be porous and in need of re-sealing.

Be sure to download the AR-3a restoration guide. Most of it is applicable to the 2ax. http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/

If you decide to tear into them there is a lot of help in the booklet and here. You might want to install film caps and L-pads. If you re-seal the woofer surrounds use ONLY Roy's authentic butyl sealant.

Keep us posted!

-Kent

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase, Thorne!

Not so coincidentally, I'm using the very same 500C/2ax combo at the moment, and it sounds fantastic! You're in for a real treat. 

You've come to the right place for any help/encouragement that you may be looking for. Good luck in getting everything up to speed. 

Kent - Thanks for the post.  The papers on the back of both speakers has "AR-2ax" on them.  I don't know how to tell the difference just by looking at them, but I can research online and learn.

Thanks, Sam. Great minds think alike !

The one on the right, because it has the "a" in the corner, is probably an earlier version of the ax. What are the serial numbers?

The 2a had dual midrange drivers, the ax just a single midrange and tweeter. 

Here's a good thread on the history of the various "2" variations:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/5003-ar-2a-vs-ar-2ax-also-ar-2-series-history/

The pictures the seller posted are blurry, but one of the serial numbers looks like AX120075. The other serial number is illegible in the picture.  I asked the seller to take the grills off and look, or shine a flashlight through the grill to see how many tweeters there are, but she already has them boxed up.  Here's a link to the eBay auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mid-Century-1969-PAIR-OF-ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-AR-2ax-SPEAKERS/263411894209?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thorne

UPDATE: Maybe it's a coincidence, but I'm guessing the "AX" in the serial number means it is an AR-2Ax. I looked closer and it looks like the other serial number is AX15068.

Hi Thorne and welcome!

Are you doing local pick up? Taking the grilles off may not be as simple as you think. If they in fact are all original then the grilles are at least glued and potentially stapled. AR went out of their way to try and keep people out. Damage can easily occur for the beginner, especially without proper guidance. The flashlight idea is a good one.

Archived