Jump to content

KLH 6 ???


audiofreak
 Share

Recommended Posts

Probably the most important thing to check out is if they're the older one's that are completely sealed(including grilles) and therefore very difficult to open up from the front and back if you need/want to change out capacitors or other parts. If they're the later editions the grilles are easily removed for access to the drivers and you can get into the cabinet through the speaker connector area. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What caps do you guy use? In previous previous restorations in other brands of speakers I've used Clarity caps usually a sa or ers. What is your experience with using those Brands and or what brands have you used at what level. My attitude is even if the Caps are good there's got to be some drift in them so  I'm so I can replace them regardless this due to their age alone. Does anyone have a schematic to the crossover? If the crossover is changed by year these are serial number 06126 4 and 6 3 respective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey freak

There is a schematic in the owner's manual in our Library but with recent changes to the website's format the Library is not easy to find. Here's the manual: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/klh/klh_6_klh_model_six/klh_6_manual/klh_6_manual_pg4.html

As far as capacitors are concerned you should know that is a controversial subject! The originals were NPEs. I've never been inside a Six so they "may" have been oil-filled cans which as I understand are considered to be desirable. Word is ol' Henry used to shop for military surplus caps.

Here's a good thread on the Six (there are many others). If the ones you are looking at have the permanently-attached grille and the epoxied-in drivers I'd say forget about re-capping or replacing grille cloth.

The Six takes one 8uF and two 2uF caps per box. I like Carli mylar caps from Madisound but although they have 8.0 they do not have 2.0. They do have 2.0uF surplus caps for $0.35 each but the leads are maddenly short.  I'd probably double up 1.0uF Carlis but they have Solens in 2.0uF. 

I have used Clarity caps but don't think they're worth the extra cost. YMMV ;)

Kent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input Kent. Ya the Clarity aren't cheep, but..... I've had such good result's with them. I'm so anial I fear when I go cheep I would always wonder "what if" and this will drive me crazy. LOL. My theory is "if I spend too much I've waisted some money, if I spend too little.... now I have issues and have to do it over. So like I said I'm anail! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2018 at 10:14 AM, audiofreak said:

Thanks for the input Kent. Ya the Clarity aren't cheep, but..... I've had such good result's with them. I'm so anial I fear when I go cheep I would always wonder "what if" and this will drive me crazy. LOL. My theory is "if I spend too much I've waisted some money, if I spend too little.... now I have issues and have to do it over. So like I said I'm anail! 

Have you heard them yet? 

Make a point for paying stupid money for an other than it's price unremarkable polyproylene capacitor, in a thread starting off with the question what's special, if anything, about a KLH Model 6?

At the Classic Speaker Pages forum?

And from there. we're already shopping tweeters and re--capping the speakers

Craig

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2018 at 10:05 AM, JKent said:

Hey freak

There is a schematic in the owner's manual in our Library but with recent changes to the website's format the Library is not easy to find. Here's the manual: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/klh/klh_6_klh_model_six/klh_6_manual/klh_6_manual_pg4.html

As far as capacitors are concerned you should know that is a controversial subject! The originals were NPEs. I've never been inside a Six so they "may" have been oil-filled cans which as I understand are considered to be desirable. Word is ol' Henry used to shop for military surplus caps.

Here's a good thread on the Six (there are many others). If the ones you are looking at have the permanently-attached grille and the epoxied-in drivers I'd say forget about re-capping or replacing grille cloth.

The Six takes one 8uF and two 2uF caps per box. I like Carli mylar caps from Madisound but although they have 8.0 they do not have 2.0. They do have 2.0uF surplus caps for $0.35 each but the leads are maddenly short.  I'd probably double up 1.0uF Carlis but they have Solens in 2.0uF. 

I have used Clarity caps but don't think they're worth the extra cost. YMMV ;)

Kent

As capable as any of 'em for the job - see 'em EVERY WHERE and in some pretty darn good stuff too!  

People that worry over capacitors (relatively speaking) should see what a company like B&W uses in more than a few of their models that cost as much as a decent used car

The CAP selected = 5% the CIRCUIT = 95%

Can that 5% screw up the other 95%?

Sure it can 

But in order to be sure that it DOESN'T you need not spend anymore or any less that what you'd have to pay for say something HONEST like the 5% Dayton from PE

This is MY take on it - everyone has their own 

Craig

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Analogman said:

Have you heard them yet? 

Make a point for paying stupid money for an other than it's price unremarkable polyproylene capacitor, in a thread starting off with the question what's special, if anything, about a KLH Model 6?

At the Classic Speaker Pages forum?

And from there. we're already shopping tweeters and re--capping the speakers

Craig

Huh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...