Allison Sevens

Mike Biggidy

Hey everyone

I just signed up because I am looking for folks more knowledgeable than I (which means folks that know absolutely anything about classic speakers). This seemed like the place.

I have a pair of Allison Sevens. In very good shape except for the screens which are mostly shot. I think they've gotten a bit more damage even since these pictures were taken.

Can anyone tell me anything about these speakers? History, quality, value, etc.?

Many thanks in advance for any help and for sharing your knowledge...

Allison7_Full.jpg

Allison7_Front.jpg

Allison7_Tag.jpg

Allison7_Top_Grill.jpg

Allison7_Top_Grill_2.jpg

Hi Mike,

The Seven came out around 1982.

That speaker was renamed the "CD 7" 4 or 5 years later. The newer version has a redesigned crossover, however, the specifications are still essentially the same.

4ohm system, 2way. 

A very high quality loudspeaker, but could be tricky these days to find original 2 way tweeters for if they fail (or have).

If your're planning on keeping and using them for at least a few years, I would launch an active search on Ebay, or wherever you like to shop for old stuff.

Value and pricing can range from 50 to 500 or so depending on overall condition and whose looking at the time.

If the woofers are unrestored originals, they need new foam surrounds now for sure, without even looking.

Bill

10 hours ago, newandold said:

If the woofers are unrestored originals, they need new foam surrounds now for sure, without even looking.

Ditto.

The grilles are a weak point on Allisons. There was an ebayer (I think) selling reproductions but yours look OK. Carefully remove them and glue the broken parts back together with airplane glue or Plas-T-Pair.

-Kent

1 hour ago, Mike Biggidy said:

Thanks, guys. So as I said they got a little more damage since the last set of pics. These are what they look like now.

They're wasted with me, literally sitting in a closet. Anyone interested in them?

Allison7_Top_Grills_NOW.jpg

Allison7_Woofer2.jpg

Allison7_Woofer1.jpg

If you're not interested yourself for use or restoration, I would hold them until summer is over, then do a fall Ebay listing, starting an auction at 100 bucks and just let it fly.

Bill

I have a set of CD-7s in walnut here in Washington, DC that have yet to find a buyer, maybe because they're modified from the original. A speaker designer checking out one with a faulty tweeter convinced me to install more "modern" tweeters in the two - SB Acoustics - and he designed a far more complex crossover for them. I've been using them as surrounds, which is a waste I think, and the CD-6s - all original except I replaced the caps - serve as fronts simply because of the room layout. (The CD-6 will fit atop a convector module; the CD-7 obviously won't.) If you're near enough I might grab them just to get those nice oak cabinets (matching my CD-6) and have a few parts as spares. (My grills and drivers are all intact.)

I'm in Ridgefield, CT.

Knowing that these are recognizable and someone who could appreciate them could use them, it only makes sense. I'm a musician, and it kills me when I think of the '62 Les Pauls that are lying under some old lady's guest room bed right now, so I get it. I can tell you for sure that these haven't even been hooked up in 10 years, and probably more.

Even so, since these have traveled with me since college through all my apartments, across multiple states, to my first place with my now wife, to our first home, to our current home, I gotta say the idea of them being torn open and restuffed kinda makes me sad. :)

6 hours ago, Mike Biggidy said:

I'm in Ridgefield, CT.

"the idea of them being torn open and restuffed kinda makes me sad. :)"

Better than sitting as they are in the garage, wasting away.

How about that boat ? back there?? Go out to Candlewood?

Bill

8 hours ago, Mike Biggidy said:

I gotta say the idea of them being torn open and restuffed kinda makes me sad.

Although Bill makes a valid point I fully understand. The probability is that someone would restore them them but sitting in the garage they'll only deteriorate more (as you noted; "I think they've gotten a bit more damage even since these pictures were taken"). 

-Kent

7 hours ago, newandold said:

7 hours ago, newandold said:

Better than sitting as they are in the garage, wasting away.

Bill

Ah, that's my baby. Little mahogany runabout. Crazy fun. We don;t really go to Candlewood, too crowded. Went once or twice

1 hour ago, Mike Biggidy said:

"Ah, that's my baby. Little mahogany runabout. Crazy fun. We don;t really go to Candlewood, too crowded. Went once or twice"

Yes that lake has become a zoo.

However years ago, if you could make it out there during the week it was like night and day quiet.

Those days are over.

There used to be a marina up north on that lake that had some beautiful vintage Chris Crafts tucked away.

These days I haven't a clue.

Sold my boat ⛵️ off (stringer and transom rot) in 2014. Still on the fence about getting back out there (HUDSON River)

Bill

aa.thumb.jpg.d514dbe346634e98d731a1ca1ede1adb.jpgi.thumb.jpg.b911f0e597930030a0d28215d7da3108.jpgOh no you don't!!

What a thing of beauty! (Congratulations)

I learned to waterski behind one of those, but not a beauty like yours. The mahogany was painted over in dark blue....kinda defeats the whole purpose.

Power was a 383 Chrysler marined inboard. Heavy son of a gun for its size. Leaked pretty badly.

This is the boat I sold off.

The aerial photography was a nice going away present ?.

Bill

Archived