AR11 dented dustcaps--are these fixable?

Rogerfederer

Hi all,

I'm looking at some AR11s (1st version with the brass badge). Both woofers, 1 tweet and 1 mid-range have pushed-in dustcaps (see pics).

The woofers can probably be fixed with the bent needle or other tricks. I'm more nervous about the tweet and the mid-range.

Dang, how did the mid-range get pushed in?

Anyways, I'd love any thoughts!

Best,

Doug

post-147386-0-62028100-1428543082_thumb.

post-147386-0-43663100-1428543091_thumb.

post-147386-0-99141600-1428543097_thumb.

post-147386-0-27706900-1428543106_thumb.

seller is flipper. decent guy but not too sharp. don't think he knew the woofers were replaced either. he doesn't have the original woofers.

i could get the AR11s for $100. but still need to find woofers and fix all the dented caps. that mid-range has me concerned. as does the dent on the tweeter; is that a dust cap that is dented or the dome of the tweeter?

there is a nice AK guy who has AR11 drivers but he want real (like ebay) prices for them.

i've got enough projects stacked up that i'm reluctant to add another one... and what are the chances these speakers would displace my ADS L1290s?

not to sound too negative. i have some great speakers already! and thanks for the advice :D

seller is flipper. decent guy but not too sharp. don't think he knew the woofers were replaced either. he doesn't have the original woofers.

i could get the AR11s for $100. but still need to find woofers and fix all the dented caps. that mid-range has me concerned. as does the dent on the tweeter; is that a dust cap that is dented or the dome of the tweeter?

there is a nice AK guy who has AR11 drivers but he want real (like ebay) prices for them.

i've got enough projects stacked up that i'm reluctant to add another one... and what are the chances these speakers would displace my ADS L1290s?

not to sound too negative. i have some great speakers already! and thanks for the advice :D

Sounds like it would be less expensive to buy a functional pair than restore these unless you enjoy the chase and have the time...

Roger

davidr,

i must have missed them. 12" AR woofers? i see the surrounds and 1 expensive AR 3a woofer... love your help!

I sent you a pm message with a link to the item.

This site doesn't like to have links to the auction site.

Local pick-up in Maryland.

eBay item number: 271762798993

Dented domes dives me crazy. I have to constantly tell my brother in-law to just LOOK and listen.

Davidr,

Thanks for the link. I'm looking for woofers, not the whole speaker.

Owlsplace,

Think you are right. Unless a great deal on woofers falls into my lap I'm going to pass on these.

Archived