AR XA again....

xmas111

I know this is a AR speaker forum but I thought I do a quick post on the AR XA I just finished.

I decided to go with a light color for the plinth this time and I like it!

Love these TT's so simple but so sweet sounding.

I also added the RCA jacks and power cord socket in the back as usual.

Here's a couple of pics for you.

John

post-102118-0-31458800-1350424226_thumb.

post-102118-0-73067900-1350424235_thumb.

Beautiful work again John. I'm sure many of us are interested in the AR TT. I keep meaning to get around to restoring mine ^_^

Is that the original base? If so, how did you achieve the lighter color?

Also--I remember someone saying the AR platter is an odd size. True? Where do you find platter mats?

Keep 'em coming!

Kent

Hi Kent,

The base was pretty light color when I got it. But I always sand it down which seems to lighten it up a little more. Then I use Howards Restor- A-Finish.

I don't know about the odd platter size.

The mat for this one I made from some 3/16" thick black foam at Lowes then cut it to fit the platter. The foam isn't as dense as the original foam mat but seems to working quite well.

I have one XA with the original (I think it's original) and it measures 3/16" thick. But it's a light gray and I wanted a darker colored one for this XA. I think the contrast between the black mat and Pearl Mist color plinth looks better.

John

Hey Jim! Welcome to the CSP!

We've communicated by email but glad to see a fellow speaker nut has found the right place!

Kent

Ah, the Jeff Beck "Truth" album, with Rod Stewart, Ron Wood, and Nicky Hopkins (and an uncredited Keith Moon, on "Bolero") - very appropriate for your restored AR 'table!

Love the song "Ain't Superstitious" of course the rest of the album is great too.

John

Beautiful work, John! You've inspired me to keep my eyes open for an AR turntable, now. :)

I love the simplicity. I've been a Dual man for almost 4 decades, but seeing that XA has me yearning to try something different. I also have a Miracord 10H that I semi-restored a few years ago, but I think it's time to get away from the auto TT's...

• 4 weeks later...

Another superb restoration job, John - - - of the three XA's you've re-habbed, I might like this one the best, and your step-by-step descriptions of sequential processes is excellent. What did you use for feet on this most recent TT?

It's also interesting to see what other people select as the first vinyl to spin after setting up a turntable. I noticed Sgt. Pepper on one of your TT mats, and I also spotted the Beck-ola album sitting next to your AR-9's in your thread about the stacked 3a's. FWIW, when I hook up a TT, I almost invariably reach for this 1968 recording for my first listen.

post-112624-0-57080200-1352764653_thumb.

Hi again John, I just went through your restoration 2, what a fantastic example for us all to emulate!

One thing I would mention to you, if you don't already know, when I'm finished with machining aluminum, after light sanding with fine emery cloth followed by a "green scrubby' scouring pad, I take a handful of aluminum chips and burnish the surface of the part. It provides for a very satisfactory satin finish, without being too shiny, IMO.

I have decided that I need to find an AR XA and do exactly as you have done, someday.

Thanks again for your inspiration!

Fran

EDIT: Added the word, "FOLLOWED" Sorry for any confusion :)

Another superb restoration job, John - - - of the three XA's you've re-habbed, I might like this one the best, and your step-by-step descriptions of sequential processes is excellent. What did you use for feet on this most recent TT?

It's also interesting to see what other people select as the first vinyl to spin after setting up a turntable. I noticed Sgt. Pepper on one of your TT mats, and I also spotted the Beck-ola album sitting next to your AR-9's in your thread about the stacked 3a's. FWIW, when I hook up a TT, I almost invariably reach for this 1968 recording for my first listen.

post-112624-0-57080200-1352764653_thumb.

Hi ra.ra

Thanks.

I used little rubber feet on the last two TT. Lot easier to do than the spikes. Plus I've read spikes really don't do much for a TT.

Electric Ladyland is an excellent selection for the first spin. I have that album and should pull it out and give it a spin myself.

The Sgt. Pepper mat you mentioned isn't a mat, it's the actually album spinning. Don't remember where I bought it but at the time I said I would never play it. It would be just for show, then one day I said what the hell.....not doing any good in the sleeve so I pulled it out and played it.

One thing I would mention to you, if you don't already know, when I'm finished with machining aluminum, after light sanding with fine emery cloth by a "green scrubby' scouring pad, I take a handful of aluminum chips and burnish the surface of the part. It provides for a very satisfactory satin finish, without being too shiny, IMO.

Fran

Thanks.

Very interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind when I do the next one. ( I don't have another XA currently.......but I plan on getting one)

John

• 2 weeks later...

Man, it's really cool to be on this site; fond memories of the "good old days". Jeff Beck, Hendrix, et al. And the Dual turntables. Like Jim Lauffer, I also owned a Dual 1218...my first "automatic". From there, I "graduated" to a 1219. Then possibly to 1229 OR 1229Q (I think the Q stood for quadaphonic). I think Dual was to "automatic turntables" as AR was to "acoustic suspension".

Despite my Dual's tendencies to malfuntion, I was still enamoured by their industrial design. Their clockwork precision (when they were working properly) amazed me. Guess Dual's marketing campaign was pretty effective on me because Dual TT weren't cheap. And, I doubt I could consistently HEAR differences between my entry-level 10" Dual and their larger 12" models but I probably convinced myself I did.

On paper, the Dual was "better" than the AR. But when it came to acoustic feedback, the AR was the clear winner. Just wished AR had a better tone arm for those tough-to-track passages on demanding audiophile recordings.

I wonder if there was ever a manufacturer producing a turntable with the automatic features of the Dual, the resistance to acoustic feedback of AR and the tracking abilities of the SME tonearm. That would have been my "perfect" turntable (if I could have afforded it). Instead, I had to settle for my Dual "isolated" in another room while listening to bass-heavy rock through my AR3a's. The automatic feature of the Dual allowed me to que up a record, close the dust cover, literally run to my listening room, close the door, close or dim the lights, seat myslf, then eagerly wait for the stylus to set down on the vinyl. The extremes I put myself through just to "listen to a record"....LOL!

John,

Beautiful job! I have an XA sitting next to my computer and use it to rip records to CDs. You have inspired me to fix up this classic and return it to the music room.

Archived