Shipping/packing AR-3as

npt3

I have two lovely pairs of AR3as that I have lovingly restored (I discussed this in another thread) that I would like to sell, preferably on eBay for the convenience, but I haven't a CLUE as to how to pack these. I'm of course not averse to local MA buyers (and I rather prefer that), but I want to open the geographic area as much as I can.

Has anyone else found a "standard" size box or method that they use and can recommend? I can't be the first one to ask this on the forums! Thanks everyone.

Shipping something that big and heavy is a problem. I've shipped a lot of stuff without any problem (am packing a radio to go to China right now) but once FedEx managed to destroy a beautiful KLH Five.

The speakers must be packed separately. Use a piece of thin plywood or Masonite to protect the grille. Make sure the corners of the cabinets are especially well protected. One way is to cut corners from corrugated cartons and put them over the corners of the cabinets. Put a jumper on the speaker terminals. Wrap each speaker in bubble wrap. and put the speaker in a carton. Fill any gaps with wadded paper or packing peanuts, Tape the box up and put that one inside a second carton, with at least 2" of packing peanuts or other cushioning material on all 6 sides. The outer carton should be rated for at least 65 lbs/in and the seal with this rating, on the outside bottom of the carton must not be covered. Tape with packing tape, using an "H" pattern, with all seams taped. I recommend also using fiberglass-reinforced tape. Use lots of big red "FRAGILE" stickers. Insure the speakers. PRAY!

Good luck!

Kent

You are a brave soul. Sell them locally if you can and possibly avoid a catastrophie. One damaged corner would be be a serious disappointment for a buyer. I don't mean to be cynical but I've watched a carrier literally drop my $400 speaker drivers onto the cement doorstep...and yes they were damaged. And..........they did it again on the replacement ones. I couldn't get to the door in time. Some treat this stuff like bricks. There are lots of links on the web showing how your precious cargo gets treated. To me, shipping speakers that heavy would be a crap shoot......pretty risky.

I prefer using sheet styrofoam, from building supply stores, to packing peanuts. The peanuts can settle and leave areas inside unprotected.

I've heard from staff at various shippers that you need to leave at least 1" clearance inside between the box and the item, or you'll lose claims for damage.

Another option is to let your buyer contract with a local shipper, such as a UPS store, pack your items. That clears you of responsibility if they're damaged in shipment.

Here's a picture of AR's corner protection for the AR3:

packing.jpg

Another option is to let your buyer contract with a local shipper, such as a UPS store, pack your items. That clears you of responsibility if they're damaged in shipment.

Trouble with that option is, I've received things packed by a UPS store and the packing has been totally inadequate. You may be "covered" but you have to prove the value of the item and AR3a speakers are virtually irreplaceable. I have had some success filing claims for repairs, but a repaired speaker cabinet isn't the same as an undamaged one.

Kent

Trouble with that option is, I've received things packed by a UPS store and the packing has been totally inadequate. You may be "covered" but you have to prove the value of the item and AR3a speakers are virtually irreplaceable. I have had some success filing claims for repairs, but a repaired speaker cabinet isn't the same as an undamaged one.

Kent

It was just one option :-), and it might appeal to those who don't have the desire or ability to deal with an annoying task. We're all looking for the cheapest and easiest way to guarantee safe delivery, but it comes down to:

fast

cheap

undamaged

Pick two.

As to the standard size, it is easy to cut down a carton, at least in length. I've cut boxes down in two dimensions, which is more work but doable.

I'd add to the good comments above: fist bag the systems so that the packing has less chance to burnish the surface. Corner protection is the biggest issue and you can build up your own corner protection with multiple layers of corrugated and lots of tape. Styrofoam tends to fracture apart, but there is a polyfoam (?) that is a waxier material that is tougher and can be assembled with hot melt.

I agree about not trusting a UPS store. Most of them think a big box and a layer of "peanuts" in the bottom is the answer.

This may sound like a lot of work but that is what it takes. Charge accordingly if you need to.

David S.

The seller I obtained my 3a's from packed them by bagging each one in plastic and putting it into a box cushioned on all six sides by two inches of styrofoam sheet. This was probably better protection than the original factory boxes.

Archived