AR-10pi on Ebay

Darrell Peart

A pair of AR-10pi's appeared on Ebay this morning. They don't come up very often.

If I had not recently invested most of my discretionary funds in 2 sets of Heathkit AS 103a /AR-3a (and having them re-capped) I would be bidding on these. ( I already have a set of 10pi's but would like to have a spare set)

I am curios if these are late or early models. The logo badges on mine are black while the ebay ones are brass.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AR-Acoustic-research-10-pie-Pi-stereo-speakers-/250866855610?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a68d46eba

There has been some discussion in these pages regarding black logos and brass logos, complicated by the fact that some of the speakers were European versions.

Here's a thought: Why not just contact the eBay seller and ask what the serial numbers are? Then compare to yours and see which color came first.

Kent

Please don't post links to eBay listings in the forum. They only work while the listings are active and for a few weeks after they're completed. After that, they're just litter.

Just to clarify, I'm referring to the actual hyperlink that jumps to the eBay listing. No problem at all with discussions about eBay listings.

Here's a thought: Why not just contact the eBay seller and ask what the serial numbers are? Then compare to yours and see which color came first.

Kent

One serial number is clearly visible: AR-10∏ A 02270

Image attached (from said auction listing) for reference.

Robert_S

post-101656-0-43431300-1312402594_thumb.

OOPS! ;) I found my AR9s because someone posted an e-bay listing here! I'd have a lot more money in my pocket if they hadn't posted the ad.

Which illustrates that referring to select items up for sale can serve to bring them to the attention of forum readers, and/or act as a catalyst for discussion of other points, regarding speakers. (This practice can, however, result in seriously dented pockets, offset somewhat by contented ears!)

Please don't post links to eBay listings in the forum. They only work while the listings are active and for a few weeks after they're completed. After that, they're just litter.

Just to clarify, I'm referring to the actual hyperlink that jumps to the eBay listing. No problem at all with discussions about eBay listings.

I notice you have amended your post with clarification, though I think that at times a link is relevant despite the transience. It hardly constitutes "litter" worth any concern, saves time searching, and the built-in obsolescence is understood by most.

Robert_S

"I think that at times a link is relevant despite the transience. It hardly constitutes "litter" worth any concern, saves time searching, and the built-in obsolescence is understood by most."

Agreed.

Posting a link to a pair of 10pi speakers on eBay is not the same as littering the site with posts for an AR-2ax or AR-4 - or even worse, touting your own auction.

Motivated buyers can do their own eBay searches, but when an unusual speaker shows up, ours is just the sort of audience that might be appreciative of such a heads-up.

"I think that at times a link is relevant despite the transience. It hardly constitutes "litter" worth any concern, saves time searching, and the built-in obsolescence is understood by most."

Agreed.

Posting a link to a pair of 10pi speakers on eBay is not the same as littering the site with posts for an AR-2ax or AR-4 - or even worse, touting your own auction.

Motivated buyers can do their own eBay searches, but when an unusual speaker shows up, ours is just the sort of audience that might be appreciative of such a heads-up.

I debated whether to post these here. If I were going to bid on them I probably would not have. I got my pair of 10pi's about a year ago from craigslist. Since then I have kept an eye out for them. I have only seen a total of three other listings. ( 2 out of town CL and this one) My intent was to alert people who would really appreciate them. I agree - downside is a potential bidding war.

They look like my 10pi's which are I think are the later version.

The woofer foam surround looks incorrect on at least one of the woofers. Other than that they look to be in really nice shape.

The model/serial number sticker/plate is missing on these as are mine. They should be behind the gill area. Looks like not many survived.

One serial number is clearly visible: AR-10∏ A 02270

Image attached (from said auction listing) for reference.

Robert_S

The Serail #'s on mine are A 10093 and A 10085.

My numbers were behind the grill (which is missing). I assume mine are later models?

I also noticed there doesn't appear to be any black foam around the tweeters - is it possible the earlier models did not have the foam or did it just wear away on these.

I posed the dampening around the tweeter question on this forum a couple of months ago. I don't think I got a definitive answer. I don't think mine had dampening around them either. I did put a some on though.

On second look, The SN numbers on the auction 10pi's are behind the switch panel. I'm away from home right now so I can't tell if my SN numbers there or not. I've seen vintage pictures where this a sn/pn badge on the front behind the grill.

I am curios if these are late or early models. The logo badges on mine are black while the ebay ones are brass.

So.... Back to the OP:

If the ones on eBay are SN A 02270 and they have brass logos, and yours are SN A 10093 and have black plates, seems to me brass came first and the ones on eBay are earlier ones.

And yes, at least one woofer surround is incorrect--the seller (nobody I know) states as much in the listing.

Kent

Agreed.

E-BAY speakers are sometimes listed in such a way that searching for AR9 speaker may not bring one up listed as ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR9. I look daily for replacement parts and have to use different keywords or I'll miss something.

They look like my 10pi's which are I think are the later version.

The woofer foam surround looks incorrect on at least one of the woofers. Other than that they look to be in really nice shape.

The model/serial number sticker/plate is missing on these as are mine. They should be behind the gill area. Looks like not many survived.

Tom other than the splice and what looks like a wider lip on that one is there any way to tell which foam is correct for a speaker. I know there are wide and thin lips and rolls of different sizes but I have to rely on the person I'm buying from to supply the correct ones. I've been buying from Rick Cobb and his kits seem to work better than Simply Speakers kits for me. I want to put the correct ones in these 9s ( well really I don't want to at all I wish there was a foam fairy to do it for me) doing 6 woofers is a pretty big task for me.

Don

I'm not familiar with Rick Cobb, but I'll say once again: You can't go wrong with M_Sound:

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

If you are getting foams for 6 woofers, email John at M_Sound. He should be able to put together a kit to do all six that would cost a bit less than buying 3 kits.

If you don't want to do 6 woofers, I can say Bill LeGall at Millersound does absolutely first rate work.

Kent

Archived