Amplifier power requirements for vintage speakers

JKent

From time to time a member will write in asking “how much power do I need for my vintage xyz speakers?”

If you have not already read it, check out this 1973 B.A.S. newsletter:

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/pdf/bass...-01-11-7308.pdf

Interesting stuff. Did you know that KLH-17s driven by a 20-watt amplifier can play louder than Small Advents driven by a 60-watt amp? Or that the AR3a, 5, LST and the Large Advents require 50 watts to produce 100 db, while the 2ax requires 60 watts?

I came across this while looking for information on my Lafayette Criterion 5xa speakers—big honkin’ 4-ways that require only 12 watts to produce 100 db.

Check it out.

Kent

From time to time a member will write in asking “how much power do I need for my vintage xyz speakers?”

If you have not already read it, check out this 1973 B.A.S. newsletter:

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/pdf/bass...-01-11-7308.pdf

Interesting stuff. Did you know that KLH-17s driven by a 20-watt amplifier can play louder than Small Advents driven by a 60-watt amp? Or that the AR3a, 5, LST and the Large Advents require 50 watts to produce 100 db, while the 2ax requires 60 watts?

I came across this while looking for information on my Lafayette Criterion 5xa speakers—big honkin’ 4-ways that require only 12 watts to produce 100 db.

Check it out.

Kent

Thanks Kent! Surprised to Dynaco A25 60W for 100 DB . Very interesting article.

Thanks Kent! Surprised to Dynaco A25 60W for 100 DB . Very interesting article.

btw--the Dynaco A50 2.5 watt is obviously a misprint. 25watt I'm sure

Kent

I think I'd take that 60W figure for the 2ax with a grain of salt, since the numbers aren't all coming from the same source and we don't know whether they were compiled over long periods in which the testing methods may have changed. It does not reflect my real-world experience with 3a's, 2ax's and 6's in the house.

• 1 month later...
Hey! Welcome back "Dynaco-Dan"! My fuses are still holding strong, how's yours?

FM

Hi Frank

Nice to see you still writing here.

Before I took break from here I wrote quite a bit about fusing and a few sources for the FNM 2 amp fuses.

It has been a year or two since I checked for these hard to find, at least at a fair price, value fuses.

Fusing certainly is a lot cheaper than replacing classic drivers.

• 1 month later...
Hi Frank

Nice to see you still writing here.

Before I took break from here I wrote quite a bit about fusing and a few sources for the FNM 2 amp fuses.

It has been a year or two since I checked for these hard to find, at least at a fair price, value fuses.

Fusing certainly is a lot cheaper than replacing classic drivers.

Dear Vern, I get my fuses at $USD for @$2.40 or so each,( are you turning it up loud too as I do?) in bags of ten and even the original boxes of ten, just simply surf flea-bay USA and if you're persistent as I am, you'll find them,trust me on this simple fact, not everyday of course, but I find them every so often.

It's all OEM, or NOS and or left-over old stock that seemingly no one uses anymore, strange I agree.

FM

email: frankmarsi@verizon.net

P.S. Hers's just a sample: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fnm-2+fus...6.c0.m270.l1313

Archived