Ar LST weird

giovanni56

On 4/15/2023 at 1:34 PM, giovanni56 said:

A friend bought a pair of Ar LSTs (whose photos I enclose), the seller states that they were modified by CELLO/Levinson to turn them into CELLO AMATI. I find this strange, however I ask for any clarification from the experts in the group, thank you

The Cello Amati was essentially a clone of the LST. The original version used all AR drivers, so it is plausible.

Roy

I think I recall reading somewhere that Levinson made his first run of Amati's by modding some LSTs he bought from AR. But I can't imagine him not removing the AR labels and nameplates and substituting his own.

Is it possible that at some point Levinson may have offered Amati mods to LST owners?

13 ore fa, Genek ha scritto:

Penso di ricordare di aver letto da qualche parte che Levinson fece la sua prima esecuzione di Amati modificando alcuni LST che aveva comprato da AR. Ma non riesco a immaginarlo senza rimuovere le etichette e le targhette AR e sostituirle con le sue.

È possibile che a un certo punto Levinson possa aver offerto mod Amati ai possessori di LST?

I have doubts that Cello,/Levinson modified these Ar LSTs for the following reasons:

1) I do not recall Cello ever using externally wired midrange drivers and tweeters.

2) Cello used in the Amati, TNG/Ar tweeters with paper dome and fabric suspension, these pictured are the classic Ar with three-point suspension.

3) The label has a serial number that refers to early Ar LST productions and describes the six-position selector switch that is not present in these LSTs.

4) There is no plate or label indicating any Cello/ Levinson work on these speakers.

Interesting...perhaps someone tried to turn them into Amati's. It looks rather professionally done from here.

The configuration of the early Amati crossover I saw many years ago was the same as the LST's, but had film capacitors instead of NPE for the tweeter and mid, and high end resistors (like those in the photo) in place of the contour transformer.

Roy

Il 17/4/2023 alle 22:16, Aadams ha dichiarato:

Ricordo di aver letto questo thread sul triamping degli LST qualche anno fa. Finalmente l'ho trovato.

Potrebbe essere utile. Tra le tante immagini contiene le seguenti:

image.png.c3e7c052dccad76a5be52f6640d0e5d9.png

image.thumb.png.a094820d7ba858277613f307b814303c.png

Grazie, comunque se guardi da vicino, puoi vedere dalle foto del filtro che su una bobina c'è scritto 0.105 e su un'altra c'è scritto 2.85, presumo millihenry, mentre nello schema di Roy Allison per il triamping c'è un induttore da 2.6 millihenry mentre quello di 0.105 è assente. Che si tratti di triamplificazione sarebbe confermato dai sei terminali di connessione posteriori ma non capisco perché ne vengano usati solo quattro.

17 hours ago, giovanni56 said:

That it is triamping would be confirmed by the six rear connection terminals but I don't understand why only four are used.

It looks like they might have been bridged for Bi amping.  That is a guess.  The good news is they are not Cello nor are they AR original and therefore have no provenance of value.  They  are worth the price of their working parts but could become a very good deal if they can be easily restored to proper working state with existing circuitry .  I would bridge all three terminals for use with an equalizer and a single MODERN power amp.

Edit: I reread the first post and see they are not currently for sale.