Supertweeters

JKent

I wanted to reply to this old thread but it's archived: https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/8325-microstatic-tweeter-array-revisited/

In it, Carl asked "Has anyone bought and used a Pyle HF Piezo horn tweeter array sold by MCM? The 6 tweeter array is similar to the Microstatic design, only this one has 4-27 kHz & 97 dB eff".

I should have read that more carefully. I just bought a pair. They're inexpensive and seem well made but they're really big and that 97db efficiency makes them way too loud for our inefficient ARs. I could rig up some L-pads but size and PA system look just don't work with ARs.

btw, in that same thread Steve mentioned the MicroStatics being too wide to fit atop AR-4 series speakers. I checked and they are actually 1" narrower (4x is 10-1/8" wide, MicroStatic array is 9-1/8"w).

I still like the MicroStatics but seeing what folks are asking for them I was thinking about selling mine. But I don't think the MCM unit is a good replacement.

tweets on AR3a resize.jpgimage.jpeg.dc7cbe0e4e5e427d6d3b614615c38494.jpeg

My thought was a Microstatic-shaped cabinet with four HiVi QiRs. They have a response range from 2.5k-20k, the same as the the Microstatics.

If this discussion takes off, I'll move it to Mods, Tweaks and Upgrades.

or maybe a physically smaller tweeter, like the HiVi T20-8 (4-20K)? Lots of options I suppose. I did build some cheap supertweeters but they were single-driver, not arrays.

JKent--The MicroStatics overhang the 4x by a fraction. I should know--I used this exact combo at college. Whatever the specs say, they're wrong. I used them in person--for real--and I remember thinking, "Why didn't Micro Acoustics do a little better marketing and make sure these fit properly on all AR speakers?"

Steve,

I didn't go by specs, I measured my MS & 4x (photo below). I'm thinking the earlier ones may have been bigger. Although they called both versions MS-1 (I think), the later ones like mine had 4 Peerless tweeters all the same small size. Earlier ones had 2 small tweets in front and 2 larger ones on the sides.

Maybe (and this is just a guess) Micro/Acoustics realized the goof and made them smaller.

Some of the earlier threads have posts by Carl and Vern showing the early versions with larger outter drivers but I could not find any cabinet measurements. One photo even showed a newer version on top of an older but it's not clear how the sizes compare.

Microstatic AR4x resized.jpg

I have two sets of Microstatics left (I sold the other set to one of our members a few years ago, don't remember who).

The units with two small and two large tweeters measure 9.188" across.

The units with four identical tweeters measure 9" even across.

A valid question. Some people don't care for the "rolled off highs" that go with the "New England Sound". MicroStatic literature touted their 180 degree radiation and flat frequency response from 3.5 to 25kHz. They made a lot of claims but they also received a lot of positive reviews. Here's a quote from Stereo Review:

“To our ears, the designers of the Microstatic have, with four little cone tweeters, captured much of the characteristic smoothness and lack of coloration of a good electrostatic tweeter without a trace of harshness or accentuated hiss levels. And unlike the situation with most electrostatics, there is a thoroughly dispersed sound pattern. . . . unfortunately, after you have been living with a Microstatic for a while, turning it off may make your system sound as if its built-in tweeter has blown out—the difference is that striking!”

And they were talking about new speakers at the time.

I liked my Microstats at the time I used them, but that was before I had 3's with the properly rebuilt tweets. After that, I compared the new tweets with the MS's, and had no need for them.

I agree that the AR sound is not for everybody, even if they're completely restored.

Yeah, and I don't know about you but most of us here are "of a certain age" and our acuity for high frequencies ain't what it once was.

But having said that, I do think they add a little something to my restored 3a's (with tweeters expertly rebuilt by Chris). YMMV

Hey if it works to make the speaker more enjoyable for you, great!  My hearing according to my doc seems pretty good, although I'm sure my high end is shot somewhat from the years of tiny clubs and huge amps. But my 3's output is perfect for me.

I still have 2 pairs of JansZen 1-30's  both currently not working properly. One day I'll get them restored. Now they were fun, although I still don't know if I'd use them . Back in 2018 I posted a picture of them, and the Microstats being used together on a  pair of 2ax's I had at the time.

janszen130.jpg

Microstatic marketed these as devices to widen high frequency dispersion, as opposed to just adding more highs. Their advertising brochures had photos of them on top of AR-3as, but IMO their biggest impact was when I added them to ARs that didn't have domes, like my AR-6s. I think they'd be utterly redundant on top of speakers like the LSTs and MSTs.