Phil Spector Wall of Sound... kinda

SUNNBOBB

Whew. That was a marathon month. I just finished this stack of speakers. 

All have new surrounds, some have new cones, all have been recapped, Pots cleaned and/or replaced, new fuses for the lst's, and all tested. The cabinets on all but the LST-2's have all been sanded and my special blend of tung oil and spar varnish applied. The Ar2-ax and the Ar3-a I have added a small tab to allow easy removal of the grill.  On the AR2ax I removed the gunky black gunk from around the outside rim to expose the nice metal rim.  All have near perfect grills, I'll post a picture of them once I get them re installed.  The baffles of the Ar2ax and Ar 3a have been refinished and painted. (Removed the old crusty grill glue).

I cant seem to get the hang of being "retired!" LOL.

arstack3.thumb.jpg.ec6aa8e1b950bc81162954a9ef6d38ea.jpg

ar 3a rebuilt xover.jpg

ar lst later model rebuilt xover.jpg

ar lst rebuilt xover.jpg

ar2ax rebuilt xover.jpg

lst1.jpg

AR last refinish.jpg

20230331_142820[1].jpg

20230321_233751.jpg

On 4/2/2023 at 1:34 PM, RoyC said:

Nice work!

Have you decided on your primary system yet? How are the AR-11 tweeters (per our discussion) doing in your 3a's?

Roy

Well after listening to Larry's rebuilt tweeters on his 2Xa, I think the ones in my 3a;s are weak, and the mids sound rather crass. So, I'm likely going to rebuild the tweeters, or have them rebuilt that is. I was tied up this week and haven't been able to sit back and run each set through a good listening test. I don't plan on setting any of them up in pairs or otherwise. I'm limited to my 100 WPC amp, and these 3's use every bit of it. I'll be reporting back soon. Once I've done a listening test and decided which speakers sound best in my living room, then the rest will be offered for sale. Until then, I still have some tweaking to do.

9 hours ago, SUNNBOBB said:

Well after listening to Larry's rebuilt tweeters on his 2Xa, I think the ones in my 3a;s are weak, and the mids sound rather crass.

If the AR-11 tweeters you are using in your AR-3a's are not crossed over properly, they will augment the mid frequencies, most likely causing the issue you described. Those tweeters don't suffer the same type of degradation as the originals.

Roy