What is the recommended stock to use to fabricate new grill frames?

Vern48

To finish up a couple AR restoration projects, I need to make new grill frames to replace broken or missing ones.  I'll probably need six all together, for 2a, 2ax and 3 cabinets.

I was thinking of using this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DPI-DECORATIVE-PANELS-INTERNATIONAL-40-total-sq-ft-1-4-in-x-48-in-x-24-in-Standard-Hardboard-Handy-Panel-5-Pack-HDSS22024485/311322859

Is this a good choice, or is there something better?

Thank you.

If those are actually 1/4 in. thick panels that would be my choice. It is almost impossible to find 1/4 in. thick hardboard at the home improvement stores around here. It almost like it has been replaced with 3/16 in. thick material, which is not the same thing.    

IARrybody, thanks for your reply. I went back to the HD link, "nominal" size is 1/4 inch; the "actual" size is .22 inch, close enough, I suppose.  It's not carried at the local store, so I'd have to order online if I wanted to go that route.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi Vern, 

I have been looking as most here that need backing.  I looked at that but the specs says 0.22.,  put a tape on it if you can.  There is another I found but at a Lowe's.  Both are across town for me and I haven't had time to look at either one.  The sheet at Lowe's is ply so hopefully it is stacked correctly.  If I get there I'll let you know what it's like.

1/4-in x 4-ft Pine Sanded Plywood in the Plywood & Sheathing department at Lowes.com

PeteZ

• 5 months later...

Interesting.  The grill frames on my 4x speakers are stick-built of 1/2x5/16" wood, probably basswood.  You'd need some larger 5/16" stock for the gusset where the nameplate attaches.  This wood is commonly available in hobby stores.  Would be potentially more work, but a lot less waste than making them from panels.