HiVi QR1 in AR 2AX Coil option

dmac

I have recently recapped and installed the new Pots from JKent on my 2ax and the tweeter is still very weak. My next move is replacing the tweeter with the HIVI  QR1 than many here speak well about. I have seen some discrepancy on the size of the parralell coil required for this option. Since I just replaced the 4UF cap with a new 4UF cap should I use a .05mh or a .07mh coil? or is replacing the cap with a .03 necessary with the HIVI QR1? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

On 1/28/2023 at 6:38 PM, dmac said:

I have recently recapped and installed the new Pots from JKent on my 2ax and the tweeter is still very weak. My next move is replacing the tweeter with the HIVI  QR1 than many here speak well about. I have seen some discrepancy on the size of the parralell coil required for this option. Since I just replaced the 4UF cap with a new 4UF cap should I use a .05mh or a .07mh coil? or is replacing the cap with a .03 necessary with the HIVI QR1? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As Kent mentioned, the tweeters can be rebuilt these days. If using the Q1R, first try .07mh coils. You can always unwind them a few turns if the tweeters seem to be too strong.

Roy

3 hours ago, Jim Pearce said:

Roy, I thought you stopped doing this and Chris is the only one doing it these days.

I'm still rebuilding them, Jim. I also acquired a fair number of support rings for the typically broken and/or warped flanges.