Original AR-11 crossover diagnostic help

Mark Heija

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, giovanni56 said:

Nell'Ar9 il filtro passa-banda medio-alto ha una cella LRC in parallelo al medio per linearizzare l'impedenza di picco alla sua risonanza (Fs), e per utilizzare il crossover in prossimità del valore dello stesso, il

Giovanni

I am not referring to use of the 200028 mid in the AR9 but as a substitute mid in an AR 3 way with a 525hz crossover, for example AR3a,11,...................

Hey Folks,

I'll be installing these speakers (as is) this Wednesday and will have a listen. I do know what I like (even as a teen, switching through all the speakers in the listening room at Pacific Stereo, I was drawn to these AR-11s). It will be a different experience than I'm used to as I had them hooked up to my original Sansui 9090 at work for 40+ years and loved how they could fill the space (recently retired from running the Design Studio at the Boys & Girls Club - also where I started my woodworking at age seven in 1963 [Note: this was a plug for the good work being done by this organization]). As I attempt to integrate these components with my existing 9090DB and Klipsch LaScalas (my second important stereo purchase) it may be that the semi-horn is appropriate.

Thanks for all interesting posts on the technical considerations (some somewhat over my head). I'll let you know how they sound to me soon -Mark

AR_in_the_Studio.jpg

Speakers went up today and I'm feeling very positive that the efforts have paid off. Sounding wonderful through a wide variety of genres... though today only had an iPod as the source. It's nice having the old Sansui 9090 in the "garage" by the larger easy chair at arms length. The next step will be to tie the two Sansui receivers together with the aim of balancing the ARs with the LaScalas (west end). The odd (but necessary) placement facing inward gives a slight imbalance so the idea is to make the ARs face the opposite corners and by adjusting the volume, create the missing balance. Should be interesting to hear. Note: I started attending live performances as a pre-teen here in San Francisco and have a collection of early rock posters on display in our apartment.

EastEndA.jpg

LeftChannel.jpg

RightChannel.jpg

WestEnd.jpg

That's right, Jimmy Page, May 1968 (with Led Zeppelin's inception just around the corner). I saw Led Zeppelin in April the following year... so fortunate to have been around for so much great music. I still have a few go-to live acts but not like when tickets were only $2.50 and I had a paper route;-) Note: if you do a Google Image search with my name you can see a photo I took of Jerry when I was 13, also some of my psychedelic poster work... still carrying on the tradition.

Very nice work with the posters - they really capture the era.

I would've loved to have caught Jimmy Page in 1968, just before Zeppelin. I did manage to see both Cream, and the Jeff Beck Group at Philly's Electric Factory in 1968, so 2 out of 3 Yardbirds' leads isn't bad. 😉

Not bad at all!  As a teen I was certainly captivated by the local heroes, the Dead, the Airplane, Quicksilver & Santana. I did get to see Janis, Jimi and Jim before their untimely passings. I was a member of our neighborhood Boys & Girls Club (where I honed my woodworking skills and photography) and was asked by my photo teacher if I wanted to help move equipment for his light show company... my first live concerts were seen from the lighting balcony swirling oils on an overhead projector. Quite the eye-opener. 

I loved all of the SF bands, but I only ever saw Big Brother in concert; how cool that you got to do the light show!

Funny story: at the Electric Factory, sometimes holders of tickets to a later show could get in to catch the tail end of the headliner's first set, which happened when I went to see Big Brother. The band did a thing where the musicians would leave the stage one at a time, with only the drummer eventually remaining to play a short solo. The place was so small, the performers had to wend their way through the SRO audience to get backstage, which is why Janis Joplin literally needed to brush past me on her way out. I can only recall that she had a big happy grin, and that she was soaked to the skin. I think that I might've been in a trance for awhile after the encounter...

That was quite a wonderful encounter! I did try to meet Janis when I would tag along with my friend on his monthly visit to collect for delivering the Chronicle (our paper routes were next to each other). We'd know if Janis was staying at the house at 22nd St. and Sanches (Noe Valley Neighborhood) when her car was parked outside. She never came to the door but we did get to hear her voice inside. I did get to shake Bill Graham's hand when he came to the Fillmore West (closing week, Grateful Dead's night) and I was first in line. He had his crew bring ice cream for the dozen or so folks in line mid-afternoon. The photo of Pigpen (colorized in Photoshop)was taken that night (using the Nikon F I borrowed from my photo teacher) using a 50mm lens, my belly at the waist high stage getting head & shoulder shots of the band. 

Janis'Porsche.jpg

Pigpen.jpg