New Veneer?

DonT

I have a pair of model Fives and they need new veneer. I lucked out and picked up 11 rolls of veneer at an estate sale cheap. I know this wouldn't be original but I got 4 rolls of Brazilian Rosewood in this lot. I have always thought it is one of the best looking woods out there. Should I go back to walnut because I got nice rolls of it to or put the beautiful Rosewood on?

Rosewood

IMG_1682.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

Wow. Nice! I love the Fives (although I don't have any now) and Brazilian Rosewood. Put 'em together--that would be pretty spectacular. Would you stain the frame around the front?

Back in the '80s I built a VMPS Original Sub from a kit. The top panel was veneered with walnut but I re-veneered it in rosewood. I don't remember the aroma. too bad. Had a rosewood stereo cabinet at the time and a couple of matching end tables. I also have an extremely rare KLH Model Twenty-One table radio in rosewood. Some people insist this was done by someone after the fact but one member here remembered a high-end store in NY selling them back in the '60s. 

I'm a sucker for exotic wood. My favorite speakers right now are my Cizek KA-1s. They sound fine but they look great in solid Hawaiian koa wood.

Be sure to post photos!

Hey there Jkent,

Can you send me to a place to learn how to use Howard's restore finish on some junked up cabinets?

Also, what is the proper way to reform corner bashes? I've read that some guys make a dam out of tape and then fill it with some material.

What is the best material that will take stain and is relatively easy to smooth off and restore the sharp corners?

I have some pretty simple stuff as in what's in the photo but I also have a couple of cabinets that have the entire corner flattened from being dropped.

Second photo is of particle board cabinet that's handy, shown for example of flattened corner and I assume that the same technique will work for a veneered cabinet.

I guess that if the two panels have separated to some degree I will have to use yellow aliphatic resin carpenters glue and bar clamps to clamp a strip of wood stock along the length of the joint?

Any recommendations from anyone surely welcome.

First time refinisher here.

16126389585944751496370194479926.jpg

16126391425019196582670589283805.jpg

16126392447257616455630916161183.jpg

Hi Jim

1. Can you send me to a place to learn how to use Howard's restore finish on some junked up cabinets? Instructions are on the can. You either wipe it on with a cloth or use steel wool, which is of course abrasive and must be rubbed with the grain. RaF will not do any major refinishing. https://www.howardproducts.com/product/restor-a-finish/#directions

2. Also, what is the proper way to reform corner bashes? I've read that some guys make a dam out of tape and then fill it with some material. I do the tape dam. Then mix up some clear epoxy with #22 Mixol. If I have walnut dust from sanding I use that instead but you have to use enough or the result will be somewhat translucent. Others use Mohawk epoxy sticks.

3. What is the best material that will take stain and is relatively easy to smooth off and restore the sharp corners? Nothing that I know of will take stain

4. I guess that if the two panels have separated to some degree I will have to use yellow aliphatic resin carpenters glue and bar clamps to clamp a strip of wood stock along the length of the joint? If it's water damage you have to dig out quite a bit first.

10 minutes ago, Jim Pearce said:

Hey there Jkent,

Also, what is the proper way to reform corner bashes?

If you are going to re-veneer them from what I have been reading the wood workers say actual car bondo is best. If you are just trying to make it look better then I truly don't know myself?

If that damage is on a rear or bottom corner I'd just use the brown epoxy. It's strong and you'll never see it. If a chip like that is on the front edge, and the rest of the veneer is OK, you can fill the substrate and then cut a piece of veneer to fit, like a jigsaw puzzle. It's tricky. Glenn is a master of this technique.

1 minute ago, DonT said:

I also have a pair of AR 2A's. They would look amazing in Rosewood but the veneer is to nice on them. I just couldn't do that to a beautiful original pair of speakers.

Agreed. With any luck you'll find a crappy, beat-up pair 😄

On 2/6/2021 at 11:30 AM, DonT said:

I was going to attempt to veneer the front trim as well. That part should be easier because it is solid wood as far as I can tell.

If you want this to look right, best bet is get some pau fero (aka, Bolivian rosewood or Santos palisander) and cut new front trim. Coloring walnut with a rosewood-like stain can work reasonably well, but not when its right next to real rosewood.

• 1 month later...