AR-90 and AR-9 acoustic blanket

KlausDK

When I see pictures of AR 9 and 90'ies, they almost always are missing the foam inserts around the tweeter and upper MR, that should complete the acoustic blanket around the three drivers in the front. I see even official pictures from AR, where they are missing. Why is that, they obviously was designed with these inserts in place? The last picture is of my 9's, I have made the inserts myself from ½" thick acoustic foam.

AR9_Exploded_inserts.jpg

AR9_blanket.thumb.JPG.1fd7935fee1aa9ab5ef910a07ee6f30b.JPG

AR_90.jpg

Mine_AR9.jpg

I'm the original owner of my AR9's that I bought when they first came out and they don't have the foam inserts. They never did.

The tweeter has a thin foam pad around it but that's it. And I'm pretty sure the tweeters I replaced at one time and that's why they have the thin foam pad around them.

When we rebuilt the crossovers for my AR90 we noticed that the tweeter and the mid speakers where about -5db quieter then the mid base drivers.. we couldn't figure why?  Maybe it was because of the inserts placed in the acoustic blanket.  I took mine out. The inserts made those speakers very directional.  We left those inserts out and compensated to make all speakers flat. +/_1.5 db.  

• genek featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PT Doug said:

But when does that apply; to the insert or does that apply to the entire acoustic blanket ?

The entire blanket.  The insert was not always present but the blanket was never not applied during manufacture.  Direct comparison of blanket vs no blanket sound in this thread.