AR1 to a good home

thurdythurdy

Hello,

I recently came into this AR-1 34xx serial number.  Before listing elsewhere I thought I would offer to this forum- as mentioned in one of your threads.    It works in both drivers.  The grill has not been pulled away to verify the 755.  There are plenty of nicks and dents but it looks nice with just boiled linseed oil hand rubbed into the veneer.  I live in mid Michigan if any members are close to the area- shipping something this heavy would be difficult.  I also have the amp driver- Mcintosh C8 preamp, Heathkit Williamson AM-1 with power supply and mono block (807 tubes) if interested.  These need a complete recondition-but have all the tubes.  Also-the side shown down in the picture  had 4 legs attached with drilled holes. 

I'm negotiable on the price.  Would take a partial trade on a working Fisher tube amp or receiver.  All the sold prices for these are listed on Ebay.  Bottomline this is American history and would rather see it go to someone who really appreciates it locally.  I am more of a radio enthusiast with some from different decades- tubes, hybrid and SS.  This speaker should belong to a collector.  Please send me a message if you are interested.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail1.jpg

Hi Pete,

BLO is usually clear or slightly yellow.  We use it or pure tung oil on older military surplus rifles stocks.  If you looked on odcmp.org there are multiple threads on care given to collector stocks.  Multiple thin and hand rubbed coats can give a deep chatoyance to the wood grain.  It can easily be repaired with spot applications as necessary unlike a shellac or varnish which sets.  Real wood speaker veneers or solids can look real nice even if aged.   Attached is a picture of a 60's M1 in birch in front of a 70's Cerwin Vega R12- both hand oiled.

thx- Tom

thumbnail.jpg

Funny story about that speaker set.   It was unused for years, foam rotted out, some gaps due to water damage or having things stacked on them in a barn.   Lots of sanding, shimming with toothpicks and sealing with wood glue followed by the oiling and refoaming later- well wire them in and both woofers and one tweeter work.  Disassemble the bad tweeter, clean the gaps and still inop.  Had a spare diaphragm from a Klipsh K79 and the diameter looks similar- so try it out and it is a drop in!  Now the tweeter is fully functional with some good highs from a new titanium diaphragm!

10 hours ago, thurdythurdy said:

Funny story about that speaker set.   It was unused for years, foam rotted out, some gaps due to water damage or having things stacked on them in a barn.   Lots of sanding, shimming with toothpicks and sealing with wood glue followed by the oiling and refoaming later- well wire them in and both woofers and one tweeter work.  Disassemble the bad tweeter, clean the gaps and still inop.  Had a spare diaphragm from a Klipsh K79 and the diameter looks similar- so try it out and it is a drop in!  Now the tweeter is fully functional with some good highs from a new titanium diaphragm!

I'm guessing that the "speaker set" you're referring to here is the Cerwin Vegas that you mentioned. 

Your AR-1 looks like its in very good shape. The veneer looks like mahogany with a lacquer finish. You mentioned that you haven't pulled back the grill so it's likely that it has never been removed. You can check the condition of the cones with a flashlight by placing the front of the flashlight against the grill and moving it edge to edge over the driver cutout. This works best in a dark room. With a 34xx serial number, the woofer most likely has a pleated surround.

Jeff-

You are correct- AR-1 woofer is pleated.  I was not able to see any datecode on the 755 mounting flange due to the grille support.  Also- yes, the finish is mahogany and it is in good shape- not perfect.  The lacquer finish was pretty used up, the blo brought some shine back.   This speaker appears to be untouched and original.