Where to get shipping boxes?

snhirsch

I'm at the point where I need to start selling off some older AR speakers.  The biggest obstacle I see is packing material!  Most of these were shipped double-boxed with custom corner protection to center the inner box.  Where do folks obtain suitable sizes and small quantities?  Even the office suppliers like Uline have a 25 piece minimum order _per_size_!  Any advice or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

I was in the same position several years ago, needing to thin my stock of old speakers. Obtaining and packing the speakers turned out to be quite frustrating, especially when it came to a pair of AR 3's. I ended up going to a first-rate local shipping store and paying them to take care of the entire process. I believe for $25 per speaker, they double boxed and shipped them, of course the actual FedEx, USPS, etc. fee was on top of the $25. I just had to carry the bare speakers into the shop, at 50 pounds plus per speaker, that was all that I wanted to do. 

Thanks, Charles.

I had a terrible experience with the local UPS store a few years ago and would never trust them to pack anything of value.  They charged me almost $100 on top of UPS freight costs to pack a 50+ year old Gibson guitar in ATA case.  The box was completely inadequate and arrived ripped in half.  Only the ATA case prevented the loss of a $5k instrument.. 

I found all the appropriate boxes and corners through web searches, but they all sell in ginormous quantities and won't do onesy-twosies.  Very frustrating.

The bigger furniture stores and new car dealer parts departments typically have
massive amounts of cardboard to handle and often are fine with scavenging. They
usually have the biggest boxes.

On 1/14/2020 at 2:28 AM, dxho said:

The bigger furniture stores and new car dealer parts departments typically have
massive amounts of cardboard to handle and often are fine with scavenging. They
usually have the biggest boxes.

Great suggestion!

Also, Home Despot has a very limited selection of heavy duty, double cartons for a coupla bucks each: Large 18 x 18 x 24 and Extra Large 22 x 22 x 22